Friday, July 8, 2022

I Sea It's Your Birthday

Ahoy, Blogging Mateys. Hope you are all well. Covid's going around again, 3 of my friends contracted it this week. Be careful out there!
I have another guy card to share today, using a StarStampz digital image named Shipwrecked. I'm usually good at sizing my images in PSE, but somehow this one printed out a bit smaller than I wanted, but that didn't stop me from using it. I got out my 72 Tin Set of Inktense Blocks and water colored the image, then brushed some Wink of Stella over the sand and added some gold shadow metallic gel pen accents to the treasure chest and her eye glass. Using a few different liner brushes and not much water helped me color such a small image and the Inktense color boldness was just what I needed for it. I stamped a flock of silhouette birds and punched 2 fish from a brown inky paper scrap. I arranged them to frame my CC Designs stamped sentiment. The lighter blue polka dot paper was a scrap. I added bubbles with some Nuvo Crystal Glaze. I love how it turned out with the repeating polka dots look.
 
I chose a CAS Splitcoaststampers sketch for my design layout. 
I rooted around in my specialty papers and found this really cool rubbery embossed paper that reminded me of bubbles. The lighter strip is the other side of it, and I used both sides of it on my card. I cut each piece I used with an MFT Waves die to get that cool border.
Inside, I stamped a mashup of CC Designs and Sheena Douglass sentiments.
For the back, I added a white layer on which I stamped an ocean background using an old Hero Arts /Basic Grey stamp. Then I water colored it with the Inktense bars and brushes, using the colors from the card front, then added another polka dot blue scrap and my stamped and punched siggie.
Here I am showing the color continuity from front to back. I think I got the colors right.
Close-ups! Here, of my water colored focal image and stamped flock of birds...
Here you can see the embossing and debossing on the paper...
And here's the sentiment and the punched fishies.
And final view. Hopefully, my male recipient will like the pun-ny humor, wavy die cut edges and the cool papers.
Now, for some food!
For Rain's Thursday Food & Art Date, I wanted to share this delicious dessert called Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread, that Honey made for July 4th. It's incredibly simple to make. He added some chopped walnuts, which I think makes it taste even better and it's good heated up in the microwave or straight out of the fridge. We've been eating on it all week. Honey likes his with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (shown in pic), which is our official state ice cream. I'm just a tad lactose-intolerant for a lot of ice cream and have no willpower over Blue Bell, so I top mine with a little Cool Whip. 😋

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
I water colored my focal image using Inktense Blocks and I stamped a flock of birds
The photo inspired me as it and my card's celebrating a birthday, also the polka dot hats
I used different hues of blue as on the quilt
Being shipwrecked is kinda like playing hookey, against your will...maybe. 😊

23 comments:

dj said...

Cute sentiment for your shipwrecked card. What a fantastic take on our challenge...some days I want to be shipwrecked on an island...of course I want an island filled with luxury!! LOL Thanks for joining the fun and playing along with our SUMMER challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!!

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Fabulous card
Thank you for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge good luck Ginny DT
Penny's Challenge
My Blog As I do Rodos

DVArtist said...

A very nice birthday card for the guy in your life. Wonderfully made too. Yumm on the desert. I would like to invite you to Friday Face OFF. Have a very nice day.

Helen said...

Love the layout you've used and your background is so effective too!

Thanks for joining us at the Star Stampz Challenge.

Helen x
DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Excellent Aimes, love that bubble like paper, perfect for the sea effect. Great sentiments and a Great design also. Of course the recipient will love it, who wouldn't? As for your Apple .... bread, looks yummy especially with ice cream atop it. My kinda desert. Never heard of it, must look it up.
Have a great weekend and I hope Arfur is behaving himself.
Faith x

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I believe this is my first visit and I have to say I am very impressed, not only with the end results of your efforts, but with our knowledge of all the methods of producing it. The card is lovely and I am guessing whoever the young man is who is receiving it, he will be delighted. Wonderful post ... even drooled over the idea of the Monkey Bread with ice cream ( I am slightly lactose intolerant as well, but I pop a Lactaid if I am going to indulge in ice cream :) Lovely post, Aimeslee (love the name ... do you have a nickname?)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Carola Bartz said...

Cute card, and the dessert looks delicous.

Deanne Saunders said...

Sweet card!!! The dessert looks YUMMY!!! Thanks so much for participating in my PINSPIRATIONAL challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!!
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

ahlers5 said...

I absolutely love this card! That blue paper is amazing. And as usual I love that you give directions. I've been trying to keep up with my one card a month for my DT. I was without a computer fore a couple weeks. That was a nuisance, but now I have a nice brand new one.Windows 11 wasn't too difficult to learn. I have my grandson for four more days and then I'm done. NO MORE HOMESCHOOLING! I am really burned out. I can't wait to get back to normal, visiting blogs and making cards and quilts. I have missed visiting everyone. My daughter just mailed me fabric for a Hungry Caterpillar quilt and some floor turtles. I had never heard of them apparently, they are shaped like a turtle with a pretty design for the turtle top. The bottom is made out of terrycloth towel. Apparently, you keep them on the floor. If her little guy makes a mess you just use your foot to clean up the mess with the turtle. Interesting. I hope you have been well. I will try to keep up with friends better now. My daughter was paying me for homeschooling and I treated myself with craft supplies every timeI got a check. Lots of new items to try now!

Jolanda Johnstone said...

What a fun card for a little guy! Tropical islands and a chance to find treasure. Thank you for sharing your summer themed card with us at C4G this round. Cheers, Jolanda

Darlene said...

OMG what a fun & fabulous creation my friend! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Creatures In/Under the Sea’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!!

Darlene
DOUBLE D CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

PS Thanks for also sharing with us over on Inspiration Station! Good Luck!

Loll said...

Fun ocean card Aimeslee! Love that rubbery background that adds so much texture --- very cool. Great watercolouring of your sweet image. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up. The bread and ice cream looks delicious! :)

Bonnie said...

This little sailor is adorable, Aimeslee! Love all the awesome details that make me want to touch it! Great job on the back too! Thanks you so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know which part of your post I like better. That monkey bread and ice cream looks very very yummy. I've never made monkey bread and I should try to do that sometime. And nice card. I thought the die cuts along the edge were interesting and then I saw they were waves tipped on their sides. Perfect for the fun ocean image. And very clever too. Happy new week. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

And I totally forgot to say thanks for sharing both of your art pieces with us at Try It On Tuesday. It's much appreciated.

Mia said...

Beautiful summer card. Thank you for joining TIOT.

Donna Walls said...

Great card design and the image is adorable! I love Blue Bell and have found that the Publix Homestyle Vanilla has a very similar taste so I've been purchasing that lately. Yum! Thanks for sharing your project with us at The Inspiration Station Challenge and we look forward to seeing more of your lovely designs.
Donna
The Inspiration Station Challenge
The Paper Funday Challenge

Donna Phelan said...

Really cute creation, that image is adorable! I love the sentiments too, they're perfect! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D, Creatures Under/In The Sea. Donna, DT Member.

Linda said...

This is so cute and beautifully coloured. Love all the textures too.
Thank you for playing along with CAS Mix Up!

nancy littrell said...


So pleased Aimslee that you joined us at CAS Mix Up Things with Wings Watercolor Challenge. Such a fun and colorful Summer water scene and love all the texture you added to your card. TFS and Stay Safe! Hugs...Nancy

Rain said...

Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread!!!!!!! YUUUUUUUM! That looks gorgeous Aimeslee! ☺☺ Your card is just SO cute...oh yeah Covid...people just keep infecting and re-infecting each other. I'm happy to keep my mask on!! ☺

Scrapping4funChallenges said...

Beautiful card! I love the wave edges!
YUMMY!!!! Now I am hungry! Looks delicious!
Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges.
Rachelle DT (owner)
https://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com
https://rachellescreations.blogspot.com

NickScrapShack said...

Fantastic card! I love the creative take with the wavy borders, it looks awesome. Also love the added water drops. Thank you for playing along with us at Scribbles Design. Hope to see you back with us soon again! Nick