Saturday, June 11, 2022

Hop Hop Hooray Birthday

 Hoppy Saturday, lovely blog peeps. How's the weekend treating you? We are hot, like much of the country, but I've been mitigating it with wearing a frozen gel pad when needed. Whatever works!
 I made this card for a girlfriend who loves puns and jokes. My limited stash of steampunk-themed papers weren't useable because they are dark and masculine-looking. Her birthday ushers in Summer, so I was wanting tropical colors. Looking through my paper collections, my eyes went to 7Gypsies' Soho Journey and that's what I used. I had some large cuts of orange KI Memories card in my stash, so I pulled those. I colored the steampunk bunny with Promarkers.
 
For my layout design I chose this Splitcoaststampers sketch. I'm showing it with my card so you can see how I followed it. I've wanted to use this sketch for a while but how best to do the scalloped curve element #4 at the top always stopped me because the piece goes all the way down to the bottom of the card. 
Then I thought of my Sizzix 5.5" On the Edge Distressed Doily die because there are little gears in the design, which would go well with my steampunk bunny and the edge opposite the curve is open so I could use any length of paper. I had everything else gathered for this card but the papers. LeighSBDesigns' Whimsical Steampunk Bunny was printed out and waiting to be colored. I'd picked out the QK Khaki alpha dies, the CASual Fridays Hooray die, the Crafter Companion Gemini Torn Oval dies, and the yellow gold textured lace from my mom leftover from when I colored some with shimmer spray. The 2 green elements on each side of the Hooray are negative pieces from when I used a Spellbinders Lattice cover plate die (I'll save anything with an interesting shape, lol).
I matted 2 of the same patterns of the 7G on the inside, then I die cut my computer-generated poem/sentiment with a Spellbinders Mega Curved Rectangle die and added it to the right side.
The back of the card is matted with the same 7G paper as the front and on orange card stock as well. I cut a Spellbinders Fancy Tag 3 die from white card and colored it with Promarkers, adding a stamped/punched siggie to the center. I really like how that looks, so I may die cut a ton of those tags for my card backs. I've shown the back with the front to check the card's continuity.
And final view. The colors are definitely different for me, but I like it! A summery steampunk card! And hopefully, humor that my friend will enjoy. Thanks for the visit and have a good weekend! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
Tropical Summer Colors
Tropical Summer Colors
Tropical Summer Colors

22 comments:

Ella's Design said...

Love that quirky bunny image, Aimeslee, great paper choices and beautifully decorated inside and out, as usual!
Thanks for joining us at Passion for Markers this week! Lisa x

Chris said...

Fabulous and fun! Great design, love the rabbit and the wonderful bright colours. Thanks for playing along with our ‘Celebrations’ Challenge at Fab’n’ Funky
Chris
x

Alyson Mayo said...

Love the pun - great card for a "punny" friend :)

My name is Erika. said...

I love the hop hop hooray on this card. And that handsome Mr. Rabbit too. Perhaps he is off to The Mad Hatter's tea party, and if so, I hope he isn't late for an important date. This is really lovely and I notice that bit of lace peeking out also. I hope you stay cool and your girlfriend enjoys the card. Hugs-Erika

Bonnie Lynn said...

This is so cool!! Love all of the papers you used. Thanks for the love, pep talk and understanding. I appreciate it.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Perfect for celebrating a summer bday, Aimeslee!! Just love all the colors and layers you combined!! Thanks for sharing with us at Die Cut Divas!!

Diane said...

Wha ta super fun card and a great and fun sentiment too! Thank you for joining our fun at Four Seasons!
Diane FS DT {Nellies Nest}
{Four Seasons}

Kristine said...

HA!! What a funny punny bunny!! :) Cute steampunk card Aims, and love that Handmade by stamp and die on the back. You really know how to utilize all the space on a card, and it shows how much you care.

My name is Erika. said...

Hi Aimeslee- You asked about the white ink I used my TIOT recyclable piece on the blog comment you left, it is Dr. Ph. Martin's bleedproof white.

JulieP said...

You did a great job of "feminizing the steampunk". Love the pun too. Thanks so much for playing with us at the HLS Die challenge this month!

craftytrog said...

Great card Aimeslee! It's been very hot here today, hottest day of the year so far. I'll be taking it easy and keeping in the shade.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Another amazing creation Aimes, I love the colours, the die to make the scalloped top and the wonderful and of course your fabulous sentiment, (I HAD to copy it for future use?) :) We have a mini heatwave in the UK, my Niece told me today they have 30C, she is in the middle, East edge of the UK we have 20C hoping it will get a littler hotter tomorrow, for a nice change, it's been too chilly for too long. Thanks for your continuing support, I took your advice and my son came to the rescue whoop whoop.
I hope now, I'm back to normality with my 'puter!
Faith x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

This card is sure to make your friend chuckle. It's so nice and bright and colourful. Nice work. Bethie

Arlene said...

You have decorated every single space and made such a fantastic card. WOW! So glad you joined Die Cut Divas for our Summer challenge.

Helen said...

Great card!

Thanks for joining us at the Scribbles Challenge Blog.

Helen x
DT

Pat K said...

Fun creation designed beautifully. Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky. Pat K xx

Catie Cuddles said...

What a fun creation.
Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies challenge blog.
Happy crafting!
Catherine x DT

Anonymous said...

Nice card thanks for joining at colour crazy
Groetjes Josje

Billie A said...

Wonderful fun card. I am glad you shared it over at Aud sentiments, Colour Crazy, Cardz 4 galz.

Marina said...

Tropical steampunk! Great idea, fun and beautifully made. Thanks for joining in at Inkspirational.

Dreja said...

Ein zauberhaftes Werk! Vielen lieben Dank für deine Teilnahme bei den Sweet Stampers.
Liebe Grüße Dreja

crafty said...

Lovely card. Thank you for entering the Aud Sentiments challenge.
Mary