Sunday, June 26, 2022

Fish Out Of Water

Hiho, lovely blogging folk. Hope your weekend was lovely as well.
I'm having a bad spell health wise, but getting to play in my Puns & Roses Wordplay Gluebook was wonderful therapy and I plan to keep doing it for a couple more days until I feel better. This page was the fruit of my day and I'm very happy with it. The title of the page is "The Out-Of-Towners" in homage to the 1970 movie starring Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. The wordplay is a poem that I wrote and my page illustrates it.
 
There a some layers to it, so let me walk you through what I did. My base was a sheet of Avery Label Paper with TruBlock and I prepared half of my page "looseleaf" before adhering it into my book. First thing I did was stamp MFT's City Block 6x6 Background with Onyx Versafine. Then I diecut and colored MFT Waves and Tall Grass Borders. I hand-stamped and fussy cut and colored the Lost Coast Bubbles Border to go behind the waves die for the water hitting the shore. I colored some of the bubbles with a white Polychromos pencil. I colored the sandy area above that. I stamped 3 Maya Road trees before adhering it all to the background.
Next, I wanted to frame the mermaids with some lush botanical vegetation and my favorite are vines, so I used a couple of 7Gypsies Pretoria stamps and 2 green shades of Versafine Clair and went to town stamping on stamping, lol, until I had this result. 
Then I added the top cloud section, which is a Lawn Fawn cloud die. On it I stamped an Altenew sun and added my computer-generated poem and some Martha Stewart punched butterflies. After that, it was just a matter of glueing on my collage elements that I colored with glitter markers, paint pens and Promarkers. The suitcases are very old EKSuccess stickers. The mermaids and fish are Gecko Galz. The orange flowers are HOTP dies and each center has a dot of Viva Decor Turquoise Pearl Pen.
A close-up of my poem and the vines.
I added a reverse haiku to the bottom of the page.
This kinda shows the extent of the glitter and shine -- there's a lot! The orange flowers were colored with a Posca paint pen then coated with clear Wink of Stella.
And final view. Thanks for sticking with me through the process and photos. Hope your week goes well, XXO

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
I've used GG digi mermaid paper dolls and fish
Mermaids
Dies Used: Lawn Fawn Cloud Border, MFT Tall Grassy Edge and Waves 
Colored with Promarkers, Posca Pens and Distress inks
Dies Used: Lawn Fawn Cloud Border, MFT Tall Grassy Edge and Waves
Paper/Inks/Paints/Collage/Stamping/Die Cutting Texture
Fish
Paper/Inks/Paints/Collage/Stamping/Die Cutting Texture
I made sure to color the blonde mermaid with some purple for this challenge

27 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun take on fish Aimeslee. I like those mermaids. They certainly are "fish out of water" in the city. I love all the details you added. I don't know if those mermaids really will want to leave the aquarium once they get there-smile. I hope your AC gets fixed ASAP too. That's got to be very uncomfortable, we're into the heat and humidity right now too. I hope they can get it fixed for you today. Sending good energy to your way. Try to stay cool. Hugs-Erika

Pamela said...

This is lovely! I'm in the middle of crocheting a beach themed blanket so your fish out of water reminds me of that. Sorry to hear you're not well. Hope you feel betterer (Carol's family saying!) very soon - hugs.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Chris said...

Wow, your journal page is amazing, so beautiful and creative- a lot of thought has gone into this- I love it! Thank you for playing along with our ‘anything goes’ challenge at Crafty Calendar this month.
Chris
X

Diane said...

All your pages are very creative with awesome details! Hope you feel better soon! Thank you for joining our fun at Double D!
Diane DD DT {Nellies Nest}
{Double D}

Pat said...

Lovely page with great images and beautiful colours, thanks for shzaring at Fab'n'Funky.

Pat xx

Rain said...

Hi Aimeslee!!! I LOVE your Out Of Towners tribute! I loved that movie, anything Jack Lemmon does is on my #1 list, he's fantastic! ☺☺ Your mermaids are beautiful out-of-towners, and I hope they have better luck in the city than Jack and Sandy did in the movie lol! I hope you feel better and your health improves!! ♥♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of that film, but I sure love how you portrayed it. It is a wonderful way to honor Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey and a great way to show your wonderful skills at journal art.

I was saddened to read you have not been well, but this lovely journal entry seems to have given you the lift you needed.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such beautiful work considering you aren't well Aimes, gorgeous colours and touches. Sorry I don't know the film! BUT it doesn't matter as your work makes up for everything. Just Gorgeous. I hope you feel better soon
Faith x

Michelle N. said...

Beautiful-love those mermaids! This is a joy to peruse. Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

creaine said...

So glad you’ve joined our challenge at Mixed Media Lovers! I just love what you’ve made. Hope to see you again next time.
Blogowner: Ine http://creaine-cards.blogspot.nl/

Jocelyn said...

I hope you feel better soon but in the meantime you are doing some fabulous crafting. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

nwilliams6 said...

Great colors, layers, details and fun!!!! GREat page for AJJ!!!!

Bonnie Lynn said...

Aimesless, your page is fabulous!! I've never seen the movie but your journal page gave me a smile. Sorry you're also going through some health issues right now. Hang in there.

Empire of the Cat said...

I've seen that movie, Jack Lemmon was a good looking guy! Your page is lovely, so creative, and I spotted the 150 tucked in there too. Hope you are feeling better and staying cool. Thanks for joining us at More Than Words - Elle xx

Meggymay said...

First of all I hope you will be feeling better soon Take care of yourself.
I loved your journal page and the mermaids. Thank you for linking to Mia's theme at AJJ.
Yvonne xx

Carol said...

Hi Aimeslee. I am blown away by your page of mermaids. I must confess that I haven't heard of most of the things you talked about but will discuss that with you in my next message.
Just one thing though - our Pamela didn't get our family quote quite right. It is actually 'I hope you feel much more betterer'. Which I really do.
Hugs
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

marlies said...

Prachtige creatie heb je gemaakt! Zo fijn dat je meedoet met de Mixed Media Lovers!!
Marlies, DT

DVArtist said...

I hope you are feeling better by now. I love your art and the "Out of Towners" too. Your mermaid art is so appealing. I really like it very much.

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

I hope you feel better soon, Aimeslee. I'm so glad you got some art therapy in. Your page is, well, magical! Such a creative project from start to finish, ideas to completed page. The colors and details are amazing and I love your whole thought process.

Thanks for sharing your Magical Creature project with us at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Cindy C. said...

Super fun and super cute page! Hope you'd on the mend real quick. Thanks for joining in our June challenge at Die Cut Divas.

Bethie said...

I'm so sorry you are having more health isses. I hope you're feeling better today. I really enjoyed seeing your process for your Gluebook. Because your cards are always so intricate I feel I need the process photos just to absorb how much work you put into your cards. This page rocks my world!

Colien said...

Wonderful creation, love the way how you placed al the layers!
Thanks for joyning our Mixed Media challenge on the 4 Season blog.
grtz Colien

Nelly said...

Superleuke mixed Media kaart heb je gemaakt.
Bedankt voor je deelname aan de challenge bij 4-Season Challenge Blog.

Groetjes Nelly

Seafield Jo said...

I'm sorry you're having a bad spell healthwise and hope you feel much better very soon.

I'm glad you're still getting to enjoy your crafting, this is a beautiful creation.

Thanks for joining us.

Jo xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely beach scene,and colouring, Hope you soon feel better
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Maryann scrapbooking said...

Beaucoup de travail et un beau coloriage sur ta carte, Aimeslee.
Je te souhaite Bonne chance avec ta participation à notre challenge Colour Crazy.
Avec l'espoir de te revoir de nouveau.
Maryann Scrap G.D. Colour Crazy Challenge

Lots of work and a nice coloring on your card, Aimeslee.
I wish you good luck with your participation in our Colour Crazy challenge.
With the hope of seeing you again.
Maryann Scrap G.D. Colour Crazy Challenge

Ines said...

Super:)Thanks for playing with us at The Creative Crafters:)Ines DT
http://inka-mojmalyswiat.blogspot.com/
https://creativecrafterschallenge.blogspot.com/