Sunday, November 28, 2021

Tropic of Dancer Glue Book Journal Spread

 Hello and I hope we are all doing well today! I've been playing in my Puns & Roses Glue Book again,  which has a wordplay theme. I got the idea for this pun (a riff on the Tropic of Cancer latitudinal area that includes the popular Caribbean vacation paradises) a few months ago when Gecko Galz monthly theme was dancing, but it has taken me a while to actually create it. Luckily, November's theme is Magical Dreams plus Art Journal Journey's theme is All Kinds of Weather, so I figured I had better get busy on it, because when a second chance comes, take it! 😁
This is in a Glue Book where I try to use only paper and glue. I began with a base layer of a very old 12x12 Flair Designs Paradise collection sheet cut in half down the middle and bottom to fit my 6.26x8.50" pages. But I first adhered some shiny black and gold diamond washi tape around the entire perimeter and in the spine, then adhered the paper. This created a black and gold anchor for my images. 
I loved the paper pattern which looked to me to be mid-century illustrations. I thought I could mash it up with Art Deco, so I searched for some digital frames from that period. I fould some great ones at MeandAmeleieDesigns and have used 2 of them here: one for the title square and the other on my featured Gecko Galz images. I printed out the frames in black and white and colored them gold with a Posca paint marker. In PSE, I created my title and journaling within one of the digital frames. I colored the inside with blue and black Promarkers and the gold Posca. The journaling is a little poem I thought up. 😊
I used several Gecko Galz digital printed images (see, my new inkjet does a great job on these!) . Only one of the smaller images I used is a black and white digital stamp, so I colored it with Promarkers. It's the woman in the hot pink outfit on upper left. I also stamped and fussy-cut the lady at bottom right -- she's a Technique Junkies/Stamp Camp silhouette stamp. I thought she would look better in solid gold, so I brushed her with a liberal coat of gold Wink of Stella.
After adhering my images to the frames, fussy-cutting the smaller images, arranging them all in between the many illustrations of the base paper and gluing them down, my final step was to embellish with gold stars. I went looking for them in my Black Hole of Stash and also found some really cool holographic circle borders. So I cut some to add grounding to my 4 unframed images.
 
 
Some close-up shots for you.... there's a ton of glittery, sparkly shine to show! Click on photo to enlarge. While looking through images to use, my memories drifted back to when Dear Daughter was on the high school competition dance team and she wore many costumes like these. She was such a good dancer and with no formal training either, unless you count the 2 weeks she was in Ballet and Tap in second grade. I'd started her with Miss Billie, the same woman I took from. One day, Billie asked to speak to me after class and said that she didn't think the lessons were a good fit for Katy, as she didn't want to do anything but dance in front of the mirror on her own, LOLOL. She suggested I buy her a floor-length mirror and save my money and time. So I did. Little did I know that just a few years later, Katy would excel as a dancer, be named to the State and All-American Dance Teams and get to perform twice in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade! Whenever I look at this spread, I will think back to that time. 😘
And a final view of my spread. I hope you like it! I had a bunch of fun with it and got another spread done in this book. It's such a creative refresh for me from all the cardmaking. Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, keep on crafting and please stay well! XXO
MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
My spread illustrates sunny tropical beach weather
GG Products used: 
Devine Deco Digital Stamp Set
Costume Crazy collage sheet
Explosion of Color collage sheet
The Dance collage sheet
See above for GG products used
I have used washi tape
I coloured the gold silhouetted woman with Wink of Stella, and I coloured all of the frames with Promarkers and Posca Paint Markers. I also colored the woman in hot pink with Promarkers.

15 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I could go for a bit or warm tropical sunshine right now. These ladies on your spread are very lucky Aimeslee. And it looks fantastic too. Thanks for sharing with us at AJJ. It is perfect for Chris' weather theme. Happy new week to you. hugs-Erika

María said...

Awesome pages, full of colour and shine. I love all the papers and images you've used. These pages are very elegant, great job. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.

Jean said...

Great journal pages ! Thanks for sharing at 613 avenue create

Diane Louise J said...

Hello... Thanks for sharing your project with Moving Along With The Times, your journal page is lovely. Good Luck and hope to see you next time.
Diane Louise (DT) xx

Hazel said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper November challenge - I hope to see you again soon. x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh!That's warmed me up! Love all of these dancers. I did smile at the story of your daughter - a very happy result too! Thanks so much for sharing this for my theme at AJJ, Hugs, Chrisx

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Beautiful creation!
Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge November ATG and sorry for the late comment.
Ileanaxx

Jackie C said...

Just perfect for the Challenge!
Great project!
Fabulous that you have shared this with us here at Colour Crazy.
Good luck and we hope you will come back again! Jackie DT Member xxx

ahlers5 said...

This is another great set of beautiful pages!

Chana Malkah said...

Very nicely done! Thanks so much for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner
A Place To Start, Owner
613 Avenue Create, Owner
Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
Shopping Our Stash, DT
The Color of Cards, Owner

Chana Malkah said...

Lovely, lovely work! Your pages are beautiful and so well composed!

Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Judy V said...

Fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us for our last challenge at Creative Craft Cottage!

Irmelin Eriksson said...

Wonderful creation! Thanks for joining the We Love 2 Create challenge! Hugs from DT-Irre

jolanda creatief bijtje said...

Super mooi
bedankt voor het meedoen aan onze challenge
groetjes jolanda bongers
Dt girls creative crafts

Jane Savage said...

Wonderful layout!
Thank you for joining us this month at We Love 2 Create With Polkadoodles! Jane (DT) Paper, Pencils & Pretty Things xxx