Tuesday, August 31, 2021

You Know the Type...

Hey everybody, Happy Last Day of August, where does the time go! Hope we're all doing okay. I managed to finish a second art journal spread this month, this time in my Puns & Roses word play glue book which is paper and gluestick collage. I woke up the other day thinking about this spread so it's a concept piece, which means basically it may only make sense to me, lol, but I'm sharing it anyway. 😜
Does anyone remember a movie from 1999 called Office Space? It's one of my favorites and I've included my favorite character, Milton Waddams. Now, have you ever been a fan of Wheel of Fortune? There's a section where they combine 2 phrases called Before and After. That's a form of word play and  my favorite part of the show. Well, I've done that on the right hand side with "Office Space Cadet". On the left side I've made a pun out of pronouncing "typographical". 
I must admit, this was also an excuse to use two ancient Paper Artsy stamps I've never before inked up (and have many times asked, what was I thinking buying these, lol). I'm thinking they fit in pretty well here. The little guy has "Flair" on his nameplate, a nod to Jennifer Aniston's character Joanna who has to wear like 37 flairs on her work uniform and she hates it.
So, the left side of the spread began with some DCWV scrap patterned paper: greyish clouds. I tore the sheet into strips until I had lots of torn squares, then I glued 'em down somewhat haphazardly. Next I laid down my ScorTape for the washi tape, then went to hand stamp and fussy cut (Flying Car guy, Cityscape -- both Lost Coast Designs and stamped with Ranger Archivals). I went to my computer and searched for a side view of a skyscraper and a good photo of Milton at his desk with his red stapler. Resized them, printed out and fussy cut, along with the page titles and sentiments. 
Right hand side has a bottom layer of striped DCWV patterned paper torn into strips, but this time I was neater and kept the strips intact when adhering so it looks like an intact pattern. The desk bottom is also striped paper. I hand stamped the Technique Junkies Time Clock Woman, Paper Artsy Art Dolls, Maya Road typewriter and the Scrollswork See Art face with Ranger Archivals in various colors, then fussy cut them, outlined them all with a black Promarker and adhered them along with the red sentiments. My last step was to add the washi tape all around each page.

Close-ups:
My punny title on the left side and underneath, my torn patterned paper layers.
Here, you can see the washi tape I have used. Good one to use for the "Type" theme at AJJ.
And my man Milton! Haha! The actor who played him, Stephen Root, had just played the station owner Jimmy James on the TV show News Radio. Suffice it to say, two totally different characters, so much so that I did not even realize it was Root when I saw Office Space the first time. I love when actors can do that!
And a final view. Hopefully you had a chuckle or two at my art journal shenanigans! Thanks for your visit and I hope you have a lovely day! Until next time, Stay Well and Craft On! XOX

MY CHALLENGES PLAYLIST:
11. More Mixed Media August: AG + Opt. Brights -- #4/xx Option played!

9 comments:

Neet said...

There's a lot of work gone into this layout in your journal Aimsleee. I've never heard of a glue book before but these two pages sure are interesting.
Sorry I don't know 'Office Space' or 'Milton Waddams' but I have seen Wheel of Fortune, but a long time ago. That is a clever page you have done with 'Office Space Cadet' - I recognise one of the characters from PPA and I think I have seen the alarm clock doll - great typewriter.
Love the Lost Coast images, the Flying Car guy in particular. I have something similar but yours is a much better image than mine and I adore that Cityscape.
Not sure if the washi tape you mention is the green trim with the typewriter keys on it - if it is I am envious.
A great set of pages so thanks for entering them into my theme at Art Journal Journey.
Hugs, Neet xx

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I get it. Especially the one co-worker side. It is so true. Although I love both sides of this spread. It's fun. Thanks for sharing at AJJ. Glad you could squeeze it in. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never seen the character Milton Waddams, or seen Office Space, but I got the gag, anyway. I used to own Time Clock Woman, but loaned it to a friend who never returned it. It's been years since I even thought about it.

I love how much work you put into these two pages and it sure shows. I am super impressed with everything you used in this great entry, and thank you beyond belief for sharing this with us at Art Journal Journey using Neet's theme. personally, I think you outdid yourself this time.

Jolanda's Blog said...

Lovely page!!
Thanks for joining our challenge at Let’s Craft and Create Good luck and I hope you’ll join us next time again.
Jolanda
(DT member)

Monica C. said...

A cool spread. I have never done a totally collage piece like this. Looks like fun.
Hugs Monica

Victoria Rowson said...

Fabulous pages! Your layouts look wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Lemon Shortbread Challenge Blog. I hope you can join us again soon.
Victoria DT

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous collaged pages. Love all the different quirky stamps you combined here. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge! Hugz

Kraftyscot (Donna) said...

Lovely creation, thanks so much for sharing it with us at Creative Crafters Challenge and wish you good luck with your entry. We hope that you will join us again next month!
Hugs Donna (DT)
xx

Janice said...

Thank you for sharing with us at Scribbles Designs, we hope you can join us again soon ~ Janice, Inspiration Team