Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Traditional Scandi Folk Art Style for Valentine's Day

 Hello Hello and Happy Hump Day! I hope everyone is enjoying their week. Today I'm sharing my first 2021 Valentine's card and a card I m especially proud of because it fed my love for Scandi Style. I love traditional Scandinavian folk art motifs and decided last year to begin to collect some art supplies and try my hand at it. 

Today was my first try -- do you like? My eventual goal is to create some framed art for my walls and until then, practice on cards and in journals. Traditional Scandi Folk Art designs require thought and planning. No junky layering. The elements typically are symmetrical and organic, and form a pattern. For me, achieving that will require practice. For instance, I should not have layered the flowers and flower bows to be true Trad-Scandi folk art, because it messes up the overall visual pattern of the elements that you are supposed to see. But I gave in to wanting to follow the sketch and that's ok as long as I knew I diverged. :-) Still, I think it's one of the prettiest cards I've ever made. Had it not been made for our daughter and her hubby, I would have kept it, but it's their Valentine's card and something needed to get in the mail!

   
The second I saw the current Inky Paws sketch #141 at Newton's Nook, I wanted to use it. The heart was perfect for V-Day and it's a pretty good CAS sketch, which is also what I wanted so I could play over at CAS Mix Up. I knew I had Newton's Nook Scandi stamps and a Funky Fossil stencil in that style, so my card planning began. In a rare show of conformity, I followed the sketch almost to the letter. :-)

The birds, flower border and blossoms are all Newton's Nook retired clear stamps with coordinated cutting dies. The background is embossed using a Cuttlebug folder "Heart Blocks". The white heart was cut from a Spellbinders Hearts Nestabilities die, inked with Brilliance Moonlight White through a Funky Fossil Sweet Hearts stencil and then clear-heat-embossed. The other stenciling I did was on the wide red border, stenciled with Versamark through a Funky Fossil Scandi Quilt stencil and then heat-embossed with white powder.

I used Palette Hybrid Bordeaux Red ink and did not use my stamping platform to get such great coverage, just a magazine as cushion and I left the stamp on the paper for like 20 seconds before lifting. The Bordeaux was the only red ink I had that matched the Basic Grey Bittersweet card stock card base, and I love how rich the color looks, like a nice deep red wine. Guess that's why they named the ink Bordeaux, huh? ;-)

  
(Click on pics to make bigger)
For the inside and the back, I used papers from BG's 12x12 Bittersweet collection as mentioned above. I chose this collection because I spotted a Scandi-like flower motif used repeatedly among the patterns. For the inside sentiment I tried something new that I like. I used an Impression Obsession die, colored the die with my Palette ink pad, adhered the trimmed up die cut paper and then inlaid the die cut back down. This is easier for me to adhere this kind of skinny, easily stretched out die cut by appling double-sided tape to the paper instead of applying glue to the skinny die cut. All I have to do is make sure there is tape covering most of the negative space to "grab" the die cut. I hope I explained that well enough! Anyway, I'll be doing this again! LOL The back of the card has a Technique Tuesday siggie stamp cut with a circle punch.

To show how well the Palette ink matches the BG card stock, answer this: the wide border at the bottom of the card...Is it BG red card stock or inked white card stock? The answer is: it's BG card stock from the same 12x12 sheet as the card base. That's a dang good match, no? 

A close-up shot to show the shimmer of the stenciled hearts and wide border. Both have shine but the hearts also have shimmer. Brilliance ink always has a bit of shimmer. I enjoyed trying slightly different ways to do the heat-embossed stenciling. The whites of this card are so bright that my mom's old-but-very-white lace looks quite dull in comparison.

And a final view. Since I'm pleased with my first attempt with my Scandi supplies, I'm excitedly hoping to find some more time to practice this style. Thanks for visiting and until next time, stay warm and well. XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
2.   CAS Mix Up February 2021: Stencil Heat Embossing -- #1/3  I stenciled and heat-embossed both the heart and the bottom section, see post above for more details
3.   Simply Create Too #167: Use Hearts -- add "Entry #1/3" to Linky
6.   Get Creative #98: AG + Opt. Twist Use Red or Pink -- add "Entry #1/3" to Linky Option played!
9.   Cardz 4 Guyz #264: CAS -- this card is for my son-in-law as well as my daughter and also CAS
12. More Mixed Media Feb: AG + Opt. RED -- Color option played, MM not required!

24 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Oh Aimes darlin, this card is so beautiful! I love the look that you were going for. The colours you went for are so crisp and fresh. On another note, I just had my TJ stamps arrive yesterday and I got a Scandinavian background Christmas stamp. It is one I didn't even know they had until recently. It should be under Christmas. If you can't find it email me and I'll give you the name. I'm not at home or I'd give the name to you.

Mischelle Smith said...

First time visiting your blog. Found it on Splitcoast (?) Stampers. I enjoy looking at your cards. As I become familiar with the site, I'm finding little gems, such as your blog.
What a wonderful Valentine design. I'm looking forward to using your ideas when I make some Valentines.
Thanks!

Leslie said...

Love this! I know absolutely nothing about this form of art but it looks to me like you nailed it! I love the way the front is clean and you let loose with your usual style on the inside and back! That's our girl! ;)

Donna Ellis said...

Oh, Aimes! What a delightful, non-traditional Valentine's card! I love the Scandi vibe, and the gorgeous wine colored monochrome. Your sparkly hearts are extra pretty! hugs, de

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! This is so very pretty, Aimeslee, love the colour, the embossing looks like it's dry embossed, so very pretty, love the design. I had some Christmas Scandi stamps in a magazine, I couldn't even put a card together. SO admire what you have done.
Hope you're well and not too much pain?
Keep safe
Faith x

Sue said...

Wow this is absolutely gorgeous Aimeslee, I love this shade of red that you've used, beautifully done! Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

dj said...

Your son and wife will love it I am sure!! Thanks for playing along with our CAS challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous Scandi red and white stenciled, heat embossed, stamped and dry embossed Valentine for your daughter and son-in-law. The will treasure your card. Thank you Aimeslee for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up. I love Baking and Clean and Simple designs that I credit with my Norwegian heritage:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

Alyson Mayo said...

I am usually not a fan of Scandinavian patterns but I love what you did with this card! The monochromatic colour scheme is terrific and it gives me some ideas for using a similar stamp not too far in the future. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Melanie Hungerford said...

Very unique card, great color choice, looks so good with the white background. Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Guys!

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous creation and love your take on our challenge, great colours… Many thanks for entering into our challenge,Wedding / Valentine / Friendship
and hope to see you again soon. Good luck in the final draw.
[aNNie design team member for Scrapping 4 Fun Challenges
https://thejourneyisthestarthere.blogspot.com/{My Blog}

Leslie Miller said...

I'm so attracted to this art style, but I'm not an expert or a purist, so everything on your card looks wonderful to me! Folk art or Scandi, I get them mixed up, but love both. Beautifully designed and expertly executed! Thank you so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Amy said...

What a beautiful card! I love the ink color you used, and the shimmer on the hearts is gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at the Inky Paws Challenge!

Susan Renshaw said...

Gorgeous!
Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
Susan
DT for AG with Dies
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

A.Rose said...

Might be my Scandinavian ancestry but I adore this card! well embossed!

ahlers5 said...

I really love this card! It reminds me of a playhouse my husband had built for our kids when they were small. It was so dang cute. It was painted in red and white and had window boxes. Anyways, back to topic, I had painted Pennsylvania Dutch designs on the door and window boxes. They remind me very much of the design you used.

Indy's Designs said...

Wow! This is a gorgeous card and fabulous way to use this NND stamp set! So glad you shared with us at Inky Paws!
Hugs,
Debbie

pearshapedcrafting said...

I absolutely adore this card Aimeslee! You definitely nailed the Scandi look! Hugs, Chrisx

AlisonC said...

I love the scandi style and this is gorgeous. The dark red is yummy, it would look wonderful on a wall, I look forward to seeing what you create. x

Loll said...

Beautiful card Aimslee. Gorgeous Folk Art style. You did amazing work! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Cardogram said...

I love this card.. All the colors and stamping.. The inspiration that you took from the Scandia art is adorable.. The due cuts and the framed look is gorgeous.
Thank you for playing along at Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies. DT Dhruvika @the_cardogram xoxo

MA-MI said...

Great card! I love the folk motive on your card. Thank you for sharing your creative talents with us at Happy Little Stampers.
I wish you a lovely day!
Maja, DT HLS

Sandra Wright. said...

Hello Aimeslee...I am in love with your card, it is stunning. I love how "crisp" it looks and the little touches that you have added to it.
Certainly a fabulous entry for our challenge this month at More Mixed Media.x

Lady Joyful said...

Really lovely design with great detail. Thank you for joining us at HLS CAS Challenge - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT