Friday, January 15, 2021

Rise Like A Phoenix

 Happy FriYay, everyone! How did your week go? Thought I'd give you a break from all the birthday cards I've made lately with this New Year's card using an uplifting sentiment.

My navy blue card base and green mats are SU and I have one vertical strip of designer paper. It came in an origami kit, some mail freebie from American Express, years ago. It included several 6x6 papers, all very colorful and I remembered them, thinking they would complement the Gecko Galz image. The folder embossing was done on a piece of Kraft card and colored with inks (details below).


  
For this card, I used the current Outlawz Wednesday sketch, resizing to 5x7 (A7) and then turning 90 degrees to the right.

I was able to look thru my little flower drawers and find some to use that went with the colors in the image and paper. I also used my tiniest brads as flower centers. I turned the card outside in to mail, so hopefully the brads don't mess with the postal machines. 

  
The inside of my card features a sentiment mashup using Verve, Stamplorations and Artistic Outpost stamps. The card back has the rest of the sheet of designer paper on a green mat and I've used an Impression Obsession siggie stamp over some paper strips leftover from the front.

Some close-ups:
The Gecko Galz image is an well-known illustration painting depicting the legend of the phoenix or firebird, a mythical bird that symbolizes rising from the ashes and is part of many cultures' histories but definitely for Eurasia and Asia. I thought it was perfect to pair this image with the sentiment I spelled out using Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type stickers on card stock scraps cut with Lawn Fawn banner dies.



I also wanted to highlight the inked and embossed panel using Cuttlebug's Asian Plum Blossoms folder. I did that smooshing of the folder inside top with some Lucky Clover Distress ink, but then I lightly misted my Kraft card stock with water instead of the inked folder as Kraft's a bit thick and stiff. I was very pleased with the impression but I felt the raised blossoms needed to be white so I took my Brilliance white dew drop pad and smooshed the entire surface letting some of it sink into the recesses. And I really like the effect! Brilliance has a bit of a shimmer to it so that's a bonus, too. Turned out to be a good thing using the Kraft card, between the green ink smooshing and the coat of white Brilliance a bit of the Kraft peeks out here and there...

And a final view. I'm really pleased at how the embossed Kraft panel ended up looking - the plum blossoms and the designer paper blossoms kind of mimic the white orange tree blossoms in the image. Ha! Plus, not every day I use orange with red and blue with green. I love the sentiment, so appropriate a wish for 2021. Stay safe! Until next time, XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
3.   Gecko Galz Jan. Customer Blog Challenge  - I used an image from Czarina collage sheet, which illustrates a little Russian Far-East beauty (Source:The Legendary Firebird in Russian Folklore,)
4.   The Sisterhood of Crafters: Die Cuts and/or Embossing Folders -- #2/3  Embossing folder: plum blossoms
6.   Use Your Stuff #413: All About the New -- First time to use the Cuttlebug Asian plum blossoms embossing folder that I've had a long time.
7.   MAWTT #126: NEW -- NEW Year card
8.   Gecko Galz January Facebook Challenge: Visit the East -- I used an image from Czarina collage sheet, which illustrates a little Russian Far-East beauty (Source:The Legendary Firebird in Russian Folklore,)
9.   Creatalicious Challenge #203: AG + Opt. Use of Kraft -- #1/3 My embossed plum blossoms panel is Kraft. Details in above post.  
11. Cut It Up #217: Go Back in Time -- #1/1  Well, not exactly sure which decade, but I've gone WAY BACK in time in Slavic/Russian mythology, probably 500 years. I've used Lawn Fawn Everyday Banner dies.

19 comments:

Tammy L said...

A great card and that's a gorgeous image! This is such a perfect design for any kind of card. Thanks for joining us at Use Your Stuff and hope to see you again.
Tammy DT Co-ordinator

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

My goodness! If there were an award for using products from the most companies, I think you'd win! It was fun reading through the complicated process you used to make this amazing card. I love the phoenix legend, and your phoenix reminds me of Fawkes, the phoenix in the Harry Potter series.

Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up for our Go Back in Time challenge!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Darlene said...

WOW ... very cool Aimslee! Very 'artsy' ... well done! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! A wonderful image and a great take on the sketch Aimeslee, a Beautiful and uplifting card.
Faith x

Rain said...

Oh Aimeslee! That is simply beautiful! You do those cards so well! :)

Judy Woodland said...

I love the collage-y feel of this card. So much going on, but it all works perfectly together. A work of ART!!! Great take on the challenge, thank you so much for participating with us over at the Mod Squad!!
Judy~ Mod Squad Challenge Designer
{Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!

Donna Ellis said...

What an absolutely gorgeous, beautifully colored, fantastically layered creation, Aimes! I love everything about this Beautiful Card!

Diane Louise J said...

Hello… Thanks for sharing your lovely new year card with Moving Along with the Times; it fits perfectly with our ‘New’ challenge theme. Hope you can join us next month for our new challenge. Diane Louise (Team Leader) xx

Leslie said...

I like this! The sentiment is very uplifting indeed. The Gecko Gals image is beautiful!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Rise Like a Phoenix is an awesome sentiment. Such a stunning card. The colours are beautiful. So much beautiful layering.

Had a nice week. Received Feb TJ stamps and today spent all day working on my projects. Aren't I a tease?

My name is Erika. said...

I think we all need some rising right now (like the phoenix that is). Love this card Aimeslee. It is a really uplifting and creative take on this challenge! Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday too. Hugs-Erika

Furrbster said...

This is just stunning!

Thanks for playing along at MAWTT,

Hugz Tinz

Michele said...

this is STUNNING, FABULOUS! wow, well done! xo

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this card Aimeslee. The way you have used the sketch really works with your card and what fabulous additional details to that fabulous image! I am determined to use more of my flower stash this year(only so that I can justify buying more!!!) so thanks for the nudge! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx

Valérie said...

I love your card Aimeslee! The phoenix made me think of Harry Potter :) I think it is really a piece of art. The image is amazing and you added so many small details. Great job! Thank you for sharing your card at Aud Sentiments!

BożenA said...

Your card is like a frame from a fairy tale, paused for a moment. What an amazing story and a beautiful message. This card is a real gift, especially in these difficult times
xx

Rhodidodi said...

What a beautiful card, I love the bright colours you have used. thank you for joining us at Creatalicius Challenges.

Birgit said...

What a great card and beautiful colors! Thanks so much for linking up to TSOC challenge. Best of luck to you!

Gerda said...

What a beautiful card!! LOve the pretty image and the prretty color combo you used!! Great take on the sketch!! Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up challenge!
Have a great day.
Gerda