Friday, December 11, 2020

The Buck Stops Here Again

 Happy Hanukkah, everyone! As I was putting up the deer die I used on my last card, its stag head mate was tempting me as I do love those antlers, so I decided to "buck up" and make one more card with the leftover plaid paper.

I looked in my metallics paper scraps stash drawer and found the red foil card stock. I moved on to my Christmas stashes and saw that I had saved the card stock backing to my Darice Deer Heads embossing folder, so hey, that's *designer paper*, right? Heehee. 

  
I used Split Coast Stampers sketch SC561 for my layout, resized to 4.75 X 6.50". I have a small number of red and green envelopes that fit this size card, so I thought I'd use one up. I used some black Bazzill card stock from my black paper drawer as the base mat and some red metallic over that, then my  *designer paper* on top.

The Stamplorations deer head die was cut once in white card stock and again in the red metallic. Same with the Stamplorations sentiment. I trimmed up the plaid scrap and then took my Fiber Friend ruler that has little holes that simulate the holes a sewing machine makes aka stitch holes, and I lightly punched holes around the plaid strip with an awl. I used a black medium roller ball gel pen (The Fude) to accent each hole and then draw faux stitches. A red sequin with red Stickles inside dots the eye is "Christmas".

The back is where I used my bigger plaid scrap (The Paper Studio), layered onto the black Bazzill and the IO siggie stamp circle-punched.
 
Some shots to show the shine...

   
...and the die cuts.

And a final view. Thanks for visiting me and I hope you have some fun weekend plans in the making. To quote my beloved Marvin Zindler (the late great Houston TV consumer reporter and exposer of the famous Chicken House Brothel aka Best Little Whorehouse in Texas): "Have a good weekend - good golf, good tennis, or whatever makes you happy." Please allow me to share a bit about him in case you've never heard of him...

Someone even got a tattoo of Marvin and his weekly on-air sign-off!

Marvin in the early 70's when he first came on the TV news scene after years of newspaper reportage and photojournalism and then establishing a Consumer Affairs division at the county sheriff's office. (And yes, ZZ Top's famous song was written about this very "shack outside LaGrange...have mercy" {grins}

This is how I remember him - always fighting for the little people of Houston as one of the first Consumer Affairs reporters in the nation. He helped so many people over the years. One of Houston's biggest icons and heroes. And he was never boring!

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
3.   Stamplorations Never-Ending Anything Goes Challenge -- Stamplorations Dies from Two Reindeer and Christmas Sentiments are featured.  
4.   The Male Room #145: Tartan & Plaid -- Red and black plaid on front and back  
7.   ABC Christmas Challenge: Y is for Your Favorite Things -- deer antlers and red foil
10. Die Cut Divas: Dec. AG -- Dies used are from Stamplorations Two Reindeer and Christmas Sentiments  #2/4
19. Use Your Stuff #411: Mood Board -- I was inspired by red, shiny traffic lights, reindeer and plaid.

24 comments:

Alyson Mayo said...

I love that deer head! The shadows are fabulous and red plus back is always so elegant. Nicely done :)

Lucille K said...

Wonderful card, love the shiny deer head with antlers. Thanks for sharing with us at Die Cut Divas :)

Leslie said...

Great card! I'm in love with that plaid paper! I have that die set and really need to use it! ;)

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful card! I love the DP and that stag head is gorgeous. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. xx Wilma

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I Love your card, with its "designer" paper :) Lovely shiny Stag and plaid, just perfect Aimeslee. I did have a laugh with everything too and even me a Brit, recognise the reporter from somewhere, he must have been on a program when I was young-er! I've got my 2 hats on today so will say - Thank you so much for joining us in our Tartan & Plaid challenge at The Male Room this week.I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
Faith DT

dj said...

That deer mount is perfect for our "Traditional Christmas" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! So glad you played along with our challenge.

Mrs.B said...

A lovely festive card Aimeslee, and the stags head looks fabulous in the red foil card against the black 'designer paper' great idea!
A lovely sparkly card, so thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril xx

Diane said...

Fabulous card and I love, love that plaid with your deer head!! Thanks for joining us at The Sisterhood too!
Diane TSH DT {Nellies Nest}

Darlene said...

You are so clever! This is awesome! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Julie B said...

The combination of the stag theme and plaid DP makes for a fab masculine Christmas card. Thanks for sharing at Cardz4Guyz. :)

Michele said...

i love your glorious stag piece, your puns, and the little Houston history lesson! xo

Arlene said...

Great card! So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas, Arlene, DT for Die Cut Divas.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Really neat masculine Christmas card look. The plaid does go well with the deer die cut. And I love the shine of the mirror cardstock!

Vickie Y said...

Perfect background to go along with the image! Thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters

Jane Willis said...

Love this, especially the shiny red stags head. Adding the white "shadow" makes it really stand out.

My name is Erika. said...

I love the holiday and masculine-ness of this card Aimeslee. It's super. And oh my, the Chicken House Brothel. That brought back memories from a long time ago. It was a fun film, but probably nothing like the reality. Thanks for joining us with this beautiful card at Try It on Tuesday! And if I don't red a post before the holidays, hope yours are happy. Hugs-Erika

Sue Jackson said...

Such a classic color combination, and it totally works here. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guys!

foleysfriend said...

A-deer-able card! Sorry-super corny! I love the shine detail and the stitch detail with the plaid banner. Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas.

sue n.

Hannapanna said...

Love the red and the black. Gorgeous papers and die. Thanks for sharing with us over at Scrapping4Fun Challenges and good luck.

- Hanna, DT

Marjut said...

Wonderful card. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful card! Loving the metallic Christmas sparkle that you added 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and Happy Holidays! Hugs, Jo x

Inkyfingers said...

What a fabulous mix of papers to showcase your handsome stag, Aimeslee, and it was fun to hear about that reporter!
Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Christmas Challenges.
Hugs
Carol x

Goga said...

Great. love colour combination and fresh, modern look. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room challenge. Goga

Helen said...

A really great card - love the red and black colour combination.

Thanks for joining us at The Male Room Challenge.

Helen x