Tuesday, October 27, 2020

What Goes Bump in the Night?

 Happy Tuesday to you! I lost part of yesterday. Laid down just for a bit late afternoon and woke up 12 hours later, so I got an early start on today, lol.  At any rate, my plan was to post this last night, so I'm popping in to share and then it's time to pay bills, oh joy! 

Okay, so, what Halloween card do you make a couple who have everything but the same political opinion? I think I may have the answer. You make something that both of them can laugh at. Now, I want to say right up front, that's completely the spirit in which I made this and am sharing this. It's not to espouse one way or another because I do not do that on this blog. I've just used a couple of icons/ motifs from popular culture is all. So please don't take offense. I also want to note that I showed the front and inside of this card to a Democrat and they loved it and wanted it. I then showed it to a Republican and got the same exact response. Which was of course what I was aiming for, so hopefully the recipients will react similarly. 

  
I began the card design with the current sketch at Outlawz. I resized it to A2 in PSE and then turned it sideways to accommodate my focal image, which is a pretty cute dude image from Gecko Galz. I liked the way he was leaning against his desk and portraited. I had the Memory Box Nightfall collection paper still out so I used those again.

I used a Verve Flourished Trim die to cut the vertical edge of plaid paper that the image is tucked into. I cut 2 black bats from a very old QK Squeeze die. The yellow and red bottom paper mat is cut using an Avery Elle stitched die. I used a few black vintage photo corners and a thin strip of striped washi tape. 

I cut the front sentiment out of this paper and then ink-edged each word with a black Promarker.


On the back of the card, another paper mat cut with the Avery Elle stitched die. I added two small circles that were left over from something and laying around. I stamped my custom siggie in Versafine Clair yellow on a piece of orange paper scrap and then heat-embossed with clear powder. You can see it much clearer at an angle under the light but I liked the effect so I used it.

I distressed the edges of the bottom paper mat and the vertical orange paper strip. I ink-edged the plaid paer and the image and its mat with a black Promarker.


So here's the inside. I stamped the Alpha Stamps sugar skull first thing and as I was pulling it up the dang stamp came off the block and fell ink side down on the bottom of my card. Curses! So I had to punt by off-stamping the skull across the bottom, lol. Let's see, the Happy Haunting and spider are Inkadinkado; the Boo and bat are Making Memories; and the exclamation point is so old I've forgotten. The yellow hair is my own drawing! Ha! I put deli paper over the stamped skull to freehand draw it, then turned it over and burnished it with an Ebony pencil and then rubbed that onto a piece of yellow-colored card stock. 

And a final view. I really like how this card ended up. Most of the time, I really never know, ya know? lol  Thanks for visiting - have a great rest of the day!~ XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
2.   Gecko Galz October Customer Challenge: Happy Haunting - The image of the cute guy on the front is from the Haberdashery collage sheet. 
3.   Catch the Bug October Color Challenge -- all colors used (entry #2/3)
4.   #TGIFC287: Photo Inspiration Theme Challenge -- The bats and the orange and black
6.   Gecko Galz Facebook October Challenge: Make a Cute and/or Cuddly Project -- the dude is cute and the inside is funny cute
7.   Pinspirational Challenge #274: Photo Inspiration --  entry #1/5 the colors and the bat inspired me
9.   Mod Squad Challenge: Spooky -- entry #3/3
10. Daring Cardmakers: Spooktacular -- 
11 #TTTC087-Featured Designer Stef-- (entry #1/3) I chose Scary (bump in the night causing a fright) / Friends (this card is for some friends) / Leaves (there are red leaves on the lower portion of the base mat paper).
12. More Mixed Media October Challenge: AG + Opt. ORANGE -- Option is played!
13. Die Cut Divas: Thoughts of Autumn Fill the Air-- entry #3/4 I've used QK bat die cuts, an Avery Elle stitched die cut paper base mat  and also a Verve Flourished Trim die cut for the vertical flourish the photo is tucked in under.
16. MAWTT#123: Animals or Birds -- BAT  --  ENTRY #1/3 A cat and a bat
17. Double D Challenge: What October Means to Me -- Scary and spooky with a Heathcliffe Hunk haha, well, not far off! AKA Halloween  

15 comments:

monique said...

Thank you for sharing in our challenge at "https://classicdesignchallenge.blogspot.com/"we really appreciate you joining in.
greetings DTmember Monique great card

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

This card takes the cake! It is hilarious. You did a super job on constructing a hauntingly awesome card front, and inside. Rock on!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A Super card Aimeslee, I love the interpretation of the sketch, the papers, the images and design and with a great insert also, Love it. I'm here with both my hats on, so will say - Thank you so much for joining us in our Quote challenge at The Male Room this week.I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
Faith DT

Arlene said...

I love the card, colorful and cheeky. I also loved the inside. What a surprise when they open the card. So glad you could join us at Die Cut Divas for our Autumn (also Halloween) challenge at https://die-cut-divas.blogspot.com/2020/10/thoughts-of-autumn-fill-air-from-bugaboo.html

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fun card, Aimseslee - just love the mix of papers with the vintage photo & die cut bats! So glad you could join us at Die Cut Divas this month! Linda W. Diva DT

Stef Perry said...

Fabulous design with so many terrific elements and the inside made me laugh out loud! Your friends will love this and have their own take on it LOL! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Tic Tac Toe challenge this week.

Laurie said...

Love your card! Great background and elements, sentiment and the kinda spooky looking dude! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Cindy C. said...

Very cool card!! Thanks for playing along our October challenge at Die Cut Divas.

Pia S said...

Cool front and hilarious inside! Thanks for joining our challenge at Catch the Bug.

ahlers5 said...

Oh my goodness, I haven't visited in a few days and you have been sooo busy! I love this. Wonderful front to the card and I love Trump inside. Very imaginative! Fortunately, my husband and I have exactly the same political views. I have three kids, one is conservative, the other two are liberal. One even thought about disowning us during the last election. Fortunately, his sister talked some sense into him. Kids!!! Actually, they are all in their thirties so they are not really kids. I tols him he can go ahead and do whatever he needs to do, but he cannot tell me how to vote. We have Facebook set so we don't see each other's posts. That helps keep the peace. We now have rules for holiday dinners that political discussions are off limits. I hope you are feeling better. I have been praying for your healing. My spine actually popped a few days ago and the pain lessened quite a bit, thank goodness! Now on to see what I've missed.

Darlene said...

You Go Girl! This is fabulous and I'm with you ... I don't talk politics on any online platform ... Lord knows there's enough of it there already!! Geesh!
Your card is SO WELL DONE inside & out! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘October’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Judy Woodland said...

FABULOUS card, well thought out and perfectly executed. Great take on the Mood Board, thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Double D Challenge. Hope we see you back again soon!!
Judy~ DD DT
{Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!!


Goga said...

Wonderful greeting card, I love the colors and a slightly scary touch. Wonderfully composed. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room. Goga

Helen said...

A very striking design.

Thanks for joining us at The Male Room Challenge.

Helen x

Andreja said...

What a beautiful card you made :-))
Thanks for playing with us at The Male Room