Wednesday, September 23, 2020

For the Mad Scientist in the Family...

 Hi Ho Blogging Lovelies! Hope you are all well and safe. Honey and I are comfortably hunkered down with Tropical Storm Beta. So far, just mild wind gusts and lots of slow, soaking rain since Monday morning. Fingers crossed it leaves our area by Wednesday night as promised. They've warned us that since Houston proper will be more severely impacted, we could see rolling electrical black outs so they can maintain power for all, and we have had a few brown-outs or blips which are highly annoying!!!!! Argh! The one wonderful thing is, the cool temps are Heavenly, thank you Lord! You know, I've mentioned before how Honey and I are together 24/7 and we sometimes get silly. Well, yesterday I could not stop giggling because we were talking about something that made me say "Hindsight is 20/20." Honey points to its butt and then to his eyes and replies, "2020's been nothing BUTT hind sight." HAHAHA Okay, well, I thought it was hilarious. Nothing to see here, move along.... heehee

So, moving right along to the card I'm sharing today: two of our nephews got married in 2019, so we have two new nieces in the family and this is a birthday card for one of them who is a high school chemistry teacher. I saw this Polkadoodles digital stamp bundle and scooped it right up! This card was made for a teacher, but the digital images would also work perfectly for that all-too-hard to please teenage geek/nerd crowd. ;-) So, I'm entering it into MFT's The Birthday Project theme appealing to kids in age or heart.
I used the pre-colored girl scientist as well as some of the embellishments, quotes and sentiments. Once I finally got them printed good, that is. My inkjet printer and I are still on rocky terms. It's past time for a new printer for me. Anyway, I got the best results using Laser Presentation Paper. In my inkjet. Yes, I know. And the even stranger thing is, the paper is glossy but the ink immediately sets and doesn't smear. At all. Oh, well, mine is not to question why. I'm just grateful I have plenty of that paper!


  
I have used the current Cheerful Sketches sketch for September, which is originally a square shape. I resized it to 5x7 (A7) in PSE. 

Papers: Recollections and Springhill card stocks, Best of KI Memories patterned collection papers
Images/Stamps: Polkadoodles, Leave Memories
Inks: Printer, Memento
Dies: Crafters Companion HB sentiment, Spellbinders A7 Art Deco Astoria Labels
Other: Pink net lace from my stash

It was a pretty easy card to make, just took time adhering the paper layers. I needed to work quick to get it off in the mail. The only hard part was that I die cut two of the Happy Birthday sentiments out of white Springhill card stock and then layered them using my white Tonic craft glue. Not done perfectly and a little prayer of thanks uttered once I adhered them untorn! I need practice doing that so time well spent. You know, I have all these special bottles with tiny needle nozzles for glue, and yet I always just squeeze some out on a paper scrap and apply with a small paint brush. As long as the glue dries clear, it works!

Inside, I lined both sides with more of the KI Memories collection paper and then had fun arranging the Polkadoodles quotes and sentiments that I printed out. 

For the back, more KI Memories paper and one of the digital quotes in the Polkadoodles bundle. Hey, they created it so I had to print it and use it, haha. I used the smallest Art Deco label die to cut a mat for my siggie tag. I think that little tag is a Kaiserkraft Nan's Favourite embellie left out from the other week. Using the leftovers.

Thanks for visiting! I hope you are having a great week and accomplishing what you want to.

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.   Cheerful Sketches September Sketch -- sketch is shown above. I created an A7 version of it.
2.   Polkadoodles Digi Choosday Crafting Challenge Week 38 ending 10/1: AAG - I've used my Polkadoodles digi stamp bundle to create this card. 
3.   Polkadoodles Week 38 Anything Goes Craft & Card Making Challenge ending 9/29 -- I've used my Polkadoodles digi stamp bundle to create this card. 
4.   Polkadoodles We Love to Create AGMM Challenge #9 ending 9/24 -- I've used my Polkadoodles digi stamp bundle to create this card, lace and die cuts. 
5.   MFT September Birthday Project: Appeal to Kids (or Kids at Heart) -- mine appeals to BIG kids...high chemistry students ;-)

8 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

What a wonderful birthday card for a chemist. I think your new niece will feel very welcomed to the family with such a thoughtful card! I hope everything goes okay with the hurricane.

Monica C. said...

BUTT, in hindsight, 2020 has been interesting for sure lol
Love your card. I find your method of applying glue with a small paintbrush pretty genius. Thin noses bottles of glue and I have not been friends up until now. I just purchased a bottle of E-6000 spray adhesive thanks to recommendations on YouTube, but I have not tried it yet. Will see how that does as I love scripty die cut words.
Hugs Monica

Janis Lewis said...

Wonderful card! I love your scientist gal. Thank you so much for linking up at Crafting Happiness Challenges this week. Hope you'll link up again! Don't forget to click on LIKE for all the other entries you like. The Most Liked Project will be featured on Sunday along with some of my favorite picks.
Smiles!
:) Janis, Owner & Design Team Member @ Crafting Happiness Challenges
My Craft Blog: PauseDreamEnjoy.blogspot.com

Margreet said...

Love your fun card for a chemist. Great take on the sketch.
Thanks for joining us at Cheerful Sketches.
xxx Margreet DT

Donna Ellis said...

Lucky you with the cooler temps! Enjoy them while they are with you, and have fun! LOVE LOVE LOVE the coloring on your darling little girl! BEAUTIFULLY done on the laser paper with your inkjet! Just goes to show that sometimes, not following directions can bring about the best of results! Your pretty lace is a wonderful way to enhance the sketch, Aimes. It's a beautiful card! hugs, de

Claire said...

A beutiful card love the image.
Thank you for joining us at Polkadoodles DigiChoosday Craft Challenge

Claire Guest DT
Mrs H's Crafty Corner

Jackie C said...

This is a smashing project!
We do love to see all the entries at Classic.
Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Jackie DT



Helen said...

Great card and sentiments.

Thanks for joining us at the Arty Divas Challenge.

Helen x