Saturday, August 1, 2020

Time for Love To Craft August Challenge!

Happy August 1st and yes I'm just as shocked as you -- where has the time gone? Today I'm sharing my design team sample for Love To Craft's August Anything Goes Challenge #49.

I've made a guy birthday card for one of our relatives, hopefully chuckle-worthy. I have wanted to make this card for a while and I'd been looking at the shark-themed stamp sets that seem to be everywhere now but the set I wanted has been CONSTANTLY out of stock. So I decided to look for digi-sharks!

I searched on Google Image and almost immediately my eye was drawn to a set by Clipartisan on Etsy:
I used the middle shark on the front of my card and the upper left shark on the inside. I generated all of my sentiments in PSE and printed out on Springhill card stock along with my sharks. I used Springhill and Recollections card stocks and Carta Bella and Avery Elle patterned papers.


   
I used TSOT's sketch that includes optional Create a Scene. A pretty great, almost perfect sketch for the scene I had in mind, actually. All of the dies / elements that I wanted to use needed the space, so I resized the sketch to 6x6 in PSE.


I began by stamping a cloudy sky with an IO Cover-A-Card stamp called Sky  I then die cut  everything I wanted to use with my white Springhill card stock, all except the plane - I used a red paper scrap. I then arranged everything on my background and took my usual guide photo, above. I decided later not to use the little IO sailboat and let the shark take center stage.

No other process photos, as I got too into creating. Once I knew where my elements would go, I then took a My Favorite Things Wavemaker stencil and blended on some Tumbled Glass Distress ink to make my very wavy waterline which I later outlined with a white gel pen. Then I eyeballed a beach horizon and drew that in and colored it with a golden brown Promarkers, then a Polychromos pencil, then gold Wink of Stella.

Next I gathered a few more stencils for the ocean: Dina Wakley's Mighty Wave and A Colorful Life Coiled stencils. And I got out my Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon, Salty Ocean and Blueprint Sketch Distress inks. I went to work with these and my blending brushes and soon had an okay-looking body of water for the shark.

Then I colored my die cut collage elements: the IO Plane with Banner, IO Palm Trees and Lawn Fawn Stitched Sun . I colored and fussy cut the shark and adhered him onto the card with an action wobbler for a 3D spring effect.

I lined the inside with papers and then added a piece of card I'd printed another of the sharks onto and then used the Coiled stencil around it. It reminds me of a huge school of fish swimming in a circle. Shark is again colored with ProMarkers and distress ink-edged.

On the back, more papers and a stamped siggie on leftover scraps with a Spellbinders anchor die cut from same paper.

I hope you will stop by Love to Craft and check out all the team designs, and then join us! Thanks for stopping in and be well and safe! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.  TSOT Challenge #467: Sketch + Create A Scene -- Sketch is shown above and I created a scene
2.  AAA Birthday Game #15: 3D -- I've used a wobbly under the shark to create my 3D effect  

3.  Sisterhood of Crafters: Anything Ocean or Beachy
4.  Outlawz Color Tuesdays 7/28-8/10: Choose 1 Color Top + 2 Bottom -- I used red from the top and yellow and blue from the bottom
5.  Try It On Tuesday: Summertime
6.  Double D Challenge: Beach Mood Board --
7. I Love Promarkers Week 415: AG + Opt. Colour Inspiration Photo -- I've played the option! I colored the shark and the palm trees with Promarkers.  

17 comments:

Darlene said...

OH WOW! This is awesome Aimslee! Fantastic inside, outside & even back! YOU GO GIRL! I would be leery of that shark though ... don't trust that smile! LOL Beautiful scene and fabulous all around design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

What a darling card. My son, who is crazy for sharks, would love this card, and who wouldn't. The inside is just as lovely as the outside. Lots of love went into this card. I received your absolutely stunningly gorgeous card in the mail. Hope you got my e-mail. Love Bethie

Heather said...

Wow, what a fantastic take on BOTH challenges - love your shark scene, as well as all your horizontals for our sketch! Too fun! Thanks so much for playing at TSOT!

Chandhini said...

Hello Aimeslee, glad we introduced you to Stamp Annie thing digis.
That's lovely shark card, love the wave stencilling and how you finished the inside of your card.

Jennifer's Vintage Paperie said...

What a super fun creation. I love the sparkly sun. Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Crafters challenges.

Alyson Mayo said...

Love the way you interpreted the sketch and that shark... wow! Great details on your card. Thanks for sharing with us at TSOT :)

Leslie said...

I absolutely LOVE this! Such a fun clipart set! And your designs are gifts in themselves! <3

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fintastic card Aimeslee. It is fun and perfect for this time of year. And it seems like sharks are in the news a lot lately. I like how you made it into a birthday card. Thanks for hsraing with us at Try It on TuesdAY. hUGS-eRIKA

Jacq said...

Aimeslee, this is an amazing card! I love that shark, he looks such fun! You've created such a fun scene with him and that stencil inside does look like a school of fish!

Thanks so much for joining us at The Outlawz Colour Challenge, you always come up with something wonderful!

Jacqui
DT for The Outlawz

Jane said...

Awesome! So much detail on the caed front and then a super inside too. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

Lisa Bird said...

Wow this is such an amazing card design. Thank you for joining us at I Love Promarkers Blog Challenge
Best Wishes Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

ahlers5 said...

Wow, you did a lot of work on this one. Love it inside and out! The stencil around the shark was a brilliant idea.

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Beautiful creation!
Thanks for playing at I Love Promarkers Challenge.
Ileanaxx

Nananas said...

I love the shark with the action wobbler! That's so fun! Thanks for joining our AAA Birthday challenge!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous card! The shark theme and quotes made me smile, so much fun and capture summertime at the beach perfectly, not that I want to see a shark at the beach where I live though ...lol 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Crafting with Darcy said...

What a great card especially with summer and shark weeks!! My grandson loves sharks--he is quite fascinated with them and I think I should have made him a "Killer Shark" card for his July birthday, but I'm putting that in my notes for next year! I love the way you created the scene and of course, the sentiment is absolutely perfect!!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Aimeslee this is fabulous inside and out, what an amazing imagination you have you've sure made my start to the weekend Jaw-some with this creation.
Thanks so much for the smiles. Happy weekend Tracey xx