First off, it's a CAS card (always a struggle) but closely following My Favorite Thing's current sketch helped a lot. Secondly, I came up with a way to do the Stencil Tracing Technique challenge at CAS Mix Up with 2 different stencils. Thirdly, I used some really bright and bold orange shades for the Tantalizing Tangerine Challenge at Rainbow. And I made a watercolor mixed media card for A Vintage Journey's Watercolor Wonders Callenge. There's also the NBUS Challenge and Country View's... they are all listed as usual at the end. :-)
Ok, I took progress shots that will hopefully explain the method to my madness:
I began by clearing up my confusion about the color as I don't eat tangerines and have not seen one for a while. Good old Google helped out. I learned that the diff between regular old orange and tangerine is that tangerine is more red-orange and bolder. I saw this while creating because I chose an SU card stock that was tangerine-ish so I thought I did good but it kept looking pink/red to me in different lights. Just know I absolutely did not use any pink or red! lol
Ok so first thing I did was stamp the peony and stem on Distress Watercolor card with VersaFine Clair Summertime and Shady Lane inks and heat-embossed in clear. Then I cut the peony with my Coluzzle big circle. Then I cut the larger circle aperture with the Coluzzle, I used the cut out piece to draw a circle a bit larger on my orange base. Then I was ready to stencil trace a sunburst on the orange card base with a Sheena 7x7 Rays stencil. I used a very sharp Polychronos yellow pencil to trace. Once it was all traced, I colored the sunburst with pencils and then brushed on yellow Wink of Stella and let it dry well.
Here's a photo of a Coluzzle if you are not familiar:
You put your paper under the clear template and insert the swivel knife into the channel you've chosen and follow it around while it cuts. I was able to stop and work around the leaves with this tool to get the Out of the Box Technique result... easier for me than using a die. Plus, I was going to have to use the Coluzzle for the larger circle aperture since I don't have any dies that large.
MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1. MFT Wednesday Sketch #498 -- sketch is shown above
2. CAS Mix Up July Challenge: Stencil Tracing -- my process and materials are explained in post
Rainbow Card Challenge #19: Tantalizing Tangerine -- After carefully studying the graphic, I used bright orange, yellow, green for the leaves and stem, and white.
Mix It Up Challenge #39: AG + Opt. Open Technique -- My optional technique is the Out of the Box Technique on the leaves
5. A Vintage Journey: Watercolor Wonders -- I've made a mixed media card using stamping, heat-embossing, watercolors, stenciling, pencil, glitter and paint splatters.
6. Ai Challenge #287: Sparkle & Shine -- I've got lots of that, used Wink of Stella in yellow and clear, and also used Nuvo Shimmer Powder in my yellow watercolor.
7. Country View Challenge: Do What Makes You Happy -- I successfully painted a peony to my liking with watercolors and I splattered white paint on a card for the first time! On Purpose! LOL :-) -- I love challenges even if they scare me.
8. Outlawz Twisted Thursday 7/16-29th: AG + Opt. Polka Dots
9. NBUS Challenge #16: AAG with Never Before Used Schtuff! -- My NBUS items are the MFT peony stamp and the MFT sentiment and die, all new to me.