Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Pastel Steampunk Birthday

Hello again! Today I'm sharing a 5x7 birthday card I made last night for someone very special. I played with Distress ink blending in pastel color/shades, stamping, heat-embossing, masking, coloring and stenciling. I was going for a bold pastel look for this Deep Red Stamps Steampunk Lady which I have owned for about a year but never before used until now -- NBUS!

Papers: Springhill and SU card stocks
Stamps: Deep Red Steampunk Lady, Lawn Fawn Beep Boop Birthday sentiment
Stencils: CC Sheena 7x7 Burst, A Colorful Life 6x9 Petal Overlay
Inks: Distress, Versafine Clair, Versamark
Miscellaneous: Daisy D's Reflection Rub-ons (corner embellishments), Zing! Opaque White embossing powder, Gold and Silver Wink of Stella glitter brush pens

   
I try to always read Julie Gearinger's blog and have been inspired by her goal to eventually use every Split Coast Stampers' sketch. I've been making an effort to use more of them, too, because there is no time deadline and sometimes that's very nice. Plus, there are some very good sketches in the archive and the SCS community is great for sharing (and learning!). I've eyed this sketch from last November for months now, so I was happy to be able to use it since I had a pair of very old black n white deco corner rub-ons I also wanted to use.

I had to Google the rub-ons to find out who made them, they are so old. Daisy D's scrapbooking rub-ons...and they are still moist and good. Plus, they held on beautifully while having ink blended over them. Go figure!

Here's what things looked like after first adhering the rub-ons, then stamping the Lady with VersaMark and heat-embossing with the Zing! powder. You can see part of the mask I stamped and fussy cut to protect the Lady while I inked the background. Those of you who use the Zing! brand, does your powder stink to high heaven like smelly cheese? Mine does. I would assume it's gone bad except...it hasn't. It performs perfectly and once melted does not smell at all. Just gotta wonder why it stinks so badly...

I then masked the Lady and went to blending inks for the background. Then, I colored her face, hair, hat and feathers with ProMarkers, and painted her feathered bodice with Silver Wink of Stella. I painted Gold Wink of Stella over the gears. Afterwards, I realized my mask was a tad hair off and it created a ghosting effect on her profile, but I liked the effect! (It takes a LOT of messing up for me to trash something, heehee).


I stamped the Lawn Fawn sentiment in Versafine Clair Nocturne, ink-distressed the edges and put the top card aside to work on the mat. Sorry, no progress photo, but what I did was stick down the Sheena Burst stencil on a larger piece of card stock and applied Versamark to the card through the stencil. Then I poured on the stinky Zing! ep and heat-embossed. Then I ink-blended in the rays and ink-distressed the edges. Only a half-inch shows all the way around, but I think it gives a very cool pastel look to complement the Lady.

Now for the back of the card. I ink blended and stenciled another piece of card stock, stamped and heat-embossed my custom siggie with some strips leftover from the card front.

This is my attempt at the Stencil Ghosting Technique, which I read about over on Stamplorations'  blog with Deepti posting. I thought, I can do this. Looks so simple. Well, my ghost is really faint! Guess I should have applied more layers of Distress ink, but not wanting to do that, I took the result and used it. Don't really know what I did wrong. Still looks cool! Using! lol

And a final look. I know her coloring's unrealistic and I meant it to be. White embossing isn't usual. I purposefully blended pinks for her face and neck and I love how soft and luminous it is. Also the light bright yellow hair. The stamp is an original so my thought was, why color her ordinary?

Thanks for dropping in to see what my condition my art condition is in! I'm hanging in and still creating! heehee Hope we all have a good week - stay safe and well! XOX

MY CHALLENGES PLAYLIST:
1.  Split Coast Stampers Sketch #776 -- Sketch is shown above
2.  Outlawz Saturday Paper A La Mode 6/20-7/3: Splash of Pink
3.  Rainbow Card Challenge #18: Pastel Rainbow
4.  Crafty Cardmakers #260: Create Your Own Background -- I created a blended ink background layer on top of a stenciled rays base mat.
5.  More Mixed Media June Challenge: AG + Opt. Purple -- I have played the purple option.
6.  Use Your Stuff #401: Free Week
7.  Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #134: AAG
8.  Colour Crazy Craft Challenge Week 24: AG with Colouring -- I used ProMarkers to color my heat-embossed focal image and Distress inks on the background layers.
9.  NBUS #15: AAG -- My NBUS item is the Steampunk Lady stamp
10. Sisterhood of Crafters Stenciling Challenge -- stencils used and process detailed in post

15 comments:

creativetimewithme said...

Your cards are fantastic! Thank you for joining in the Rainbow Card Challenge this month! We hope you join us again soon.

Hugs,
Mary Ellen, RCC DT
www.creativetimewithme.com

Darnell said...

I just read your comment above, Aimeslee. Aren't spammers just scum?! I had about five in a row this morning and the "from" said, get this: Professional Spammers!" The nerve! Deep breath.

Your card is such a beautiful and colorful ghostly lady! I was a bit exhausted after reading all the steps (I'm old and usually am happy just stamping one image and a sediment, lol!), but I was intrigued all along the way and enjoyed the photos as you went along. I love that you just go with the flow and create your art so freely.

Keep hanging in and being creative ~ and thank you for sharing again at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Lozzy said...

Love what you have created..so cool xx

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I love steampunk and like this pastel take on it. You certainly put a lot of work into your work. Thank you for Julie's link. I am a fan of hers and now I can subscribe.

I don't know if I own any Z ep. If I do I'll let you know if it stinks
.

Have a great day Aimes

Leslie said...

This is fantastic! I'm not a steampunk fan but you nailed this! In case you haven't heard, there's a new steampunk challenge blog that's opening up next month, I believe, and will be run by my friend Cathy. I will see if I can find the URL for you. Glad you're feeling well these days! Hugs!

Nandini said...

Very beautiful! And the back is amazing! Great to see you in the Rainbow Card Challenge gallery. Hope you will join us again soon! Nandini, DT

Em Louise Fairley said...

This is gorgeous, Aimeslee! Thanks for joining us at TRCC and we hope to see you again soon!
Hugs,
Em, DT

Joy Wilson said...

Loving the vibrant colors! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!Hugs, JoyJoyfully StampsLil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator
Joyfully Stamps

Darlene said...

WOW girl ... you nailed this style! GREAT job both front & back! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Katy said...

Beautiful card! I love the ghosting technique that you did-I will have to check that out. Distress ink is one of my favorite mediums. Your steampunk lady is awesome! And I love when rub ons work many moons later (I have many that I should start using before they stop working.) I love the swirls! Thank you so much for joining us at the Rainbow Card Challenge! Hugs! Katy-DT :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous! The texture created by the embossing looks amazing after colouring! Hugs, Chrisx

J said...

Great card - so vibrant! Love your steampunk lady. Thank you for joining in with my challenge at Crafty Cardmakers this time.

Jackie

Birgit said...

What a wonderful and artsy card this is! Thanks so much for joining The Sisterhood of Crafters challenge. Best of luck to you.

Helen said...

A beautiful card - thanks for sharing it with us at the Colour Crazy Challenge.

Helen x

Judy McKay said...

Lovely card. BGreat details. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week. Judy DT