Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Happiness is a Butterfly...

Hello again, very early morning Wednesday here and I am struggling to get this posted in time to make the deadline for Mo's Digital Pencil Challenge. I've been slowly getting better I think. Have my good and bad. The nerve pain is still with me but more so after waking. I am having hours later on where I don't even notice it, so I am hoping that continues. One thing I did for myself was PLAY. I opened up this pristine 7x7 Stonehenge Wired Pad I've been hoarding and made an art journal page using Mo's sketch. Plus, the entire thing is masked so it's just one layer (and only a few hiccups that I was able to fix for the most part).


I used Mo's sketch as is. I used a quote as the flowers element on the circle at top right.

 
 Okay, so how I did this: I fussy cut a mask out of the Avery Repositionable Labels I use for every stamp. I stamped Mo's Rae With Journal clear stamp on my page and once it was dry I masked it. Then I placed a circle mask down over that.
 
I stamped the Lawn Fawn Interlocking Backdrops brick walkway stamp on my page, then masked it once it was dry.

 
I stamped the Clear Dollar Jungle Vine stamp on my page, let that dry and masked it. I then stamped Clear Dollar's Pine Forest stamp on my page, let it dry and masked that.

 
So, everything is masked at this point. I took a pencil and traced around the strip masks (not the circle one) because the stamps I used did not have a defined rectangle border and my sketch needed that. So the mask strips helped out double fold. The pic on the right shows my Mo clear stamp (not pirated! she is strict about using only legally-obtained images) and the jungle vine stamp and the Inkylicious Splatter Circle stamp I used once all of the masks came off.

And this was what it looked like when I stamped the Splatter Circle. Yuck. I thought, oh no, I've ruined it, so Salvaging became the name of the game. Oh, and I colored in the drawn rectangles using my Pitt Artist Big Brush Pens, which are India Ink and play so nicely with my ProMarkers and also with Ranger Archival ink and the Versafine Clair inks, too.

Well, I'm pretty proud of how I fixed it,. The lines of her mask show a bit if you are looking hard, but hey, it's an art journal page so I'm good. I used ProMarkers, Pitt Pens and some metallic glitter gel pens to color everything, and Archival and Clair inks to stamp. I colored the sky with Distress inks and blender brushes. Tried out my new pad of Speckled Egg Distress, too.

 I just had to use this Nathaniel Hawthorne quote which is an Alison Bomber for Paper Artsy stamp from the Happiness set. I think it's perfect for Mo's stamp, don't you? Plus, I have stamped a zig zag stitch stamp at top and bottom for Halle's AJJ theme of A Stitch in Time.

This page really is a stitch in time for me. I was once a young teen like Rae, sitting outside with my journal and daydreaming and interacting with nature. Probably why I like this image so much.

So thanks for dropping by and checking my art journal page. Stay well and safe! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.   Mo's Digital Pencil Challenge #291: Sketch + Mo Image -- Sketch is shown above and I've used Mo's "Rae With Journal" clear stamp that I bought from Stampavie back in 2009 - here's the post introducing Mo's line of clear stamps there! Is that cool or what?
2.   Art Journal Journey June Theme: A Stitch in Time
3.   Country View June Challenge: Summer Fields
4.   The Artistic Stamper June Challenge: Retro -- my stamped image of Rae has such a 60's-70's feel to it, this is exactly what I was doing at her age (and I'm now 64), so I'm totally calling this Retro! :-)
5.   Power Poppy Creative Confetti Challenge: All Boxed Up -- my page is a square box shape.  

6.   Crafty Creations #410: AAG
7.   Time Out Challenge #162: Free -- overall feel of my page is Free To Be...Free Time...Free as a Butterfly  
8.   PaperBabe Stamps Challenge #120: My Quote Right Now
9.   Outlawz Festive Fridays 5/29-6/11: Anything Goes Theme
10. Aud Sentiments #152: Sentiment + Flowers
11. Colour Crazy Craft Challenge Week 21: AG with Colouring -- I used ProMarkers, Pitt Pens and gelpens to color my images.
12. I Love ProMarkers Challenge #411: AG + Opt. Circles -- I used ProMarkers, Pitt Pens and gelpens to color my images.
13. Take a Word: Illustrated Quote

20 comments:

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous page! I love all the layers of paper and stamping, it's an amazing design 😀. You saved it beautifully too, so funny that my page went wrong too and I had to save it too ...lol 😉. Hope you are having a lovely week! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

What a wonderful journal page, Aimes. Happy accidents are the best at times and here you showed just how easy it is to fix an oops.

My name is Erika. said...

Glad you decided to join us at Art Journal Journey Aimeslee. And also glad to hear your back is improving, at least once you get up and start moving around. This page is so such fun and I like the splatter circle too. Nice layering of image. Thanks for joining us and happy June. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

Thank you for linking your great page to Halle's Art Journal Journey theme. I love how it turned out for you and the faux stitching looks super as well.
Glad to read that you are able to craft and that your pain must be under control.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

Thanks for the steps involved in your journal page. Love how it turned out...nicely done on the fix. :)
Thank you for linking up for A Stitch in Time!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are so good at masking and so good at covering anything that is not to your liking. I am always thrilled when I see your name on the AJJ link list, and know I'm going to be treated to something extra special. Thanks for joining us using Halle's theme at Art Journal Journey, dear Aimeslee.

Neet said...

I love masking but don't always find it easy, it is fantastic when done well and you seem to be a master at it, yours looks pretty perfect to me. Lovely main image and I love how you 'fixed' it. Very clever work. A lovely page.
Hugs, Neet xx

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Lovely art journal page. Thanks for playing at Time Out.

craftytrog said...

Lovely page Aimeslee! I love the quote too.
Alison xx

Furrbster said...

What a sweet scene you have created,

Thanks for playing along at Aud Sentiments and I Love Promarkers,

Hugz Tinz

Alyson Mayo said...

Wow - what a lot of work but I love the end result! That sentiment is just so perfect - calming and appropriate, especially for this difficult time when we all need to just take a deep breath.

Lisa Bird said...

Beautiful page and sentiment. Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments Challenge Blog
Best Wishes Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Pat said...

What a beautiful creation! I love the step-by-step explanation too! Thanks so much for joining us for our May Challenge at Mo’s!
Pat Frank

Grenouille Greetings said...

I love, love, love your art journal page. Fabulous inking, masking, and colouring and great framing and use of your words. It's a wonderful interpretation of our sketch and the sentiment is so true. This creation is a real winner! (Wink, wink). We have a new challenge for Anything goes starting today and we would love for you to play along with us again.

Mimi said...

Oh what a beautiful creation and awesome walkthrough on how you created you artwork, just gorgeous :) :) :) Thank you so much for joining us at I ❤️Promarkers this fortnight. Stay safe. Hugs Mimi xxxxx

Julie Koerber said...

Gotta love happy accidents! What a dreamy design you have for this journal page! Love all the elements you put together to create it!

Sharon Fritchman said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love your layers - the end product is fabulous and the sentiment is wonderful!! Also, I love the zig zag stitch stamping that you did! Perfect!!! Hope all is well with you. HUGS!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous journal page and brilliant masking-love the scene you created and great rescue job-glad to hear you are feeling better too
Carol x

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Aimeslee just popping back to say-Thank you for joining us at Colour Crazy
Carol DT x

rachel said...

this is beautiful - a real gem - thankyou for entering the challenge at Countryview Challenges this month and good luck in the draw! Hugs Rachel xx