Sunday, May 3, 2020

Corona Diaries: Lock Down Ventilations

Hello, everyone,  I hope you are still safe and well

Most of us realize that we will all forever be bound by this virus pandemic. As for me, it invaded my art journal. I shared my first Coronavirus spread in my last post, but apparently it was not through with me. Today I'm sharing a second spread, this time a more humorous take or "vent" about daily life during a self-imposed quarantine. Today was my 64th consecutive day of it - I began this spread weeks ago in my mind, then making notes and gathering images.

I need to personally thank my artist friend Valerie for originally challenging me with her Geometric Shapes theme she hosted for April at Art Journal Journey. At first, the theme turned me off but I finally figured out that my math brain was requiring too literal an interpretation. This led me to brainstorming to express my "viral" feelings by adding geo shapes in the background. I have a cool stamp set called Math Equations that I used since so much of the info and news is scientific in nature and viruses are part of Nature. Then, BANG, I was much more into the spread, lol. I just wasn't able to get it finished before the challenge ended on 4/30, but I used flowers on it so it fits Mia's current Flower challenge for May. Love when that happens! It's like the good Lord has taken pity on me! So, Thank you, too, Mia!

Ya'll who have been readers for a while know my strange penchant for loading up collage on an art journal page and telling a lil story. The weirdness this time began with me wanting to use Micropore tape on this spread. Crazy, I know. But I love how it feels like fabric and is kinda transparent. I got a splinter in my finger earlier in the week and neither Honey nor I could remove it. So I bandaided it and then covered that with the tape. It helps keep it banded through handwashing, etc. And Serendipity! I bet there's a LOT of Micropore tape being used in hospitals. It, too, fits my theme!

 I laid strips of it across my spread, adding double sided tape to the edges to make sure the tape did not curl up. This spread was previously base-coasted with acrylic blue paint a while back, as I'm a believer that a bare page stifles my creativity. (So I usually go through an art journal and paint or collage backgrounds first.) This background looks and feels like I'd laid down strips of masking tape before I painted. I burnished the micropore down very well before proceeding.

 Then I went to stamping with the math stamp set. I happened to have an acrylic block the length and width of each micropore strip, so I arranged my stamps on the block and was able to stamp a strip at a time all at once.

After that dried, I began stamping/printing/fussy cutting the images I knew I wanted to use, and arranging possible stamps to use. I decided to use a datebook format. I used old stickers for the spread's title, using my white Signo gel pen to color over the stickers that were too transparent to stand out in the word Ventilations. I also printed the week numbers in my own handwriting.

As I added more and more, I decided to pull out my Hero Arts Neon ink pads and my sponge finger daubers to add some color. I ended up stamping multiple images with it and also sponging color on both the micropore tape and on images. I listed the stamp brands I used (less a few I can't remember, only a couple) down at the bottom of the post under my challenge playlist. I love love love the rainbow effect that the neon inks make on the tape and how well the inks stamp.


 Here are close-ups of the left hand page. I wish I'd had enough room to put the little flowers around the other houses. Love the way the yellow ones look above. I dotted all the flower centers with a Viva Decor Pearl Pen and I like how that makes the flowers pop a bit. 



And close-ups of the right hand side. Had to highlight the senior slobs LOL. I Brake for Stamps people and Gina K sentiment from long ago. This is the first time I've been able to use the sentiment on anything and it fits here perfectly!  Also, the Stamplorations Christmas Cookie sentiment -- I may type and print "quarantined" and glue that over "wandering" - that fits this better, but hey, the original works good for now. Additionally, the two phrases I wanted to use on this from the get-go ("What? No Toilet Paper???" and "What day is it?") never made it onto the spread! I will eventually add them, but I think I've spent enough time on this for the time being, LOL.I was also to add washi tape houses and some strips of another washi here and there.

 I know it's strange but my spirit lifts by doing these kinds of "kitchen sink" spreads. And not get too cheesy, but making this spread has documented my struggle and journey to peace about this time we are in. For now, anyway. Thanks for letting me share it with you and I hope you have a safe and well week ahead. XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.   Art Journal Journey MAY: Flowers -- Details in my post above
2.   Outlawz Twisted Thursday 4/23-5/06: Anything Goes + Opt. Twist: Use Sponsor's Stamp -- I've used Stamplorations Bee Knees Houses set and a sentiment from their Christmas Cookies and Cheer set.
3.   My Besties International Challenge: May AG -- I used Fluffy Bestie IMG050 and the Mom Surviving Quarantine Bestie freebie image and sentiment.
4.   Paperbabe Stamps #118: AG
5.   Color It, Create It, Show It Off May Challenge: AG -- I used Fluffy Best IMG050 and the Mom Surviving Quarantine Bestie freebie image and sentiment.
6.   Creative Artiste Challenge #60: AG Mixed Media with at least 3 Media -- per "What is Mixed Media" blog tab, I've used acrylic paint, textural elements (the tapes and mulberry fabric flowers), paper, inks and markers.
7.   Crafts Galore Encore #75: AAG
8.   Classic Design May Challenge: AG
9.   Sparkles Monthly Challenge #127: Spring Is In the Air -- I believe this qualifies. It's how I've spent my Spring, the colors are bright pastels, and COVID's in the air! :-)

STAMP BRANDS I USED:
Stamplorations
Altenew
Artgirls
I Brake for Stamps
Gina K
Neat and Tangled
Melanie Sage
My Besties digital
Avery Elle
Impression Obsession
Wawa Stationery
Stampabilities
Crafters Companion Lil Scruffy Cat
Hero Arts

18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, Aimeslee, glad you got it finished at last, even if it wasn't for my challenge - but the good intentions were there! Have a great week, take care of yourself, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Aimeslee this is a super page. I wouldn't think to use this tape for a journal page, but it works so well. And I love the bright neon colors. This virus is evil but flashy as it wants to infect so many people. And I just adore all those stamped images. Glad it all worked out so you could link up to Mia's challenge at ARt Journal Journey. Thanks. And hope you stay well. Hugs-Erika

Donna Ellis said...

hahaha! What a fun way of laughing your cares away in this creation, Aimes. The colors are fantastic! Your TP photo is especially fun. Hoping you are doing well, and that each day brings you new joys and appreciations! Your Florida friend, de xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

This is very creative journal. I think it is a great compilation of all the things we are feeling at this time.

Meggymay said...

Thats a fantastic journal spread and a great way to express how you feel about the current situation we are all in just now. I can really relate to your sentiment asking 'what day is it'. Thank you for linking up to Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

Leslie said...

Gurrrrl, this is beyond amazing! You are so stinkin' talented! I know A LOT of work went into this and you should be so proud! I love it!

Alyson Mayo said...

I have never tried anything like this - it’s so much information and reflection all in one spot. Love the techniques and the colours. Great way to document all that is happening.

Words and Pictures said...

I love the micropore as the starting point for this fabulous page full of thoughts and storytelling about the confinement. Fabulous seeing those layers build up into the bright, bold, humourous page spread by the end.
Alison x

Mia said...

What a great spread, Aimeslee! You used so many beautiful images and what a lovely background! Thank you so much for entering my challenges at AJJ! Kisses!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad you took us through all the stages of this journal spread. I've never heard of micropore before, but it sounds like some really fantastic tape. I was SO impressed by this spread and so glad you finished it, even though Valerie's theme was over. It's very fortuitous that Mia's theme is Flowers, because you came up with a great way to use her theme and link with us at Art Journal Journey. This must have taken forever to create. It's really a masterpiece, Aimeslee. You can really be proud of it. I also really LOVED the spread you created before this one. Very different look, but same COVID-19 theme. Thanks so much for linking to Art Journal Journey, dear.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what fabulous pages! The amount of detail that you created is amazing and the images look great too 😊. It looks like you had fun and it must have been cathartic creating these too. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Take care and wishing you well! Hugs, Jo x

Andree said...

Fabulously colourful pages. Great textures, images and journalling details.
Thank you for joining in with our May challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

TRACEY MO said...

Very cool project!


Thanks for joining us at sparkles monthly challenge
Tracey dt

Words and Pictures said...

Thank you for your lovely comments last week - they did make me smile. I didn't know you didn't know those quote stamps were my designs... I thought I was constantly going on about them, so I'm relieved to know I can't be as much of a bore about them as I thought!! And yes, the whole Shakespeare thing is a vast part of my life - I wouldn't know what to do without him. Hope you're doing okay.
Alison x

Sue said...

Wow this is amazing, so much to see here! Take care, have a good weekend, and look forward to the end of lockdown xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an absolutely fabulous spread! You really made me smile even though COVID19 is not a laughing matter at all, you have captured the stay at home situation perfectly and inspired me to have a go at a journal page myself! Chrisx

Desire Fourie said...

Aimeslee this is beautifully crafted and perfect for our May challenge. Thanks for sharing your creative talent with us. Good luck and please stay safe and healthy.
Hugs
Desíre
{Color It Create It Show It Off Challenge DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

MiaPuh said...

So cool
great page
thx for joining My Besties International Challenge Blog
hugs MiaPuh