Saturday, May 23, 2020

Another Artist Postcard Becomes a Greeting Card

I like to play at Sunday Postcard Art when I can, when the theme fits something I have to work with and can use. Many of the regulars create digital art so they can save and store their work. I make most of my 4x6 art into 5x7 greeting cards, as I have done with today's share.  SPA's also a weekly challenge and I'm so slow, by the time I have a plan the challenge has ended. So, I kinda get excited when the planets align and I can play in a halfway timely manner!

Several weeks ago, I took some paper collage images out of my storage binder to fussy cut them to use, mainly because I rarely throw anything away and these aren't my favorite images so I wanted them gone from my inventory and I wouldn't have to look at them anymore. I soon realized I had enough images to make 4-6 postcard collages. An idea came to me to use 4x6 DCWV Stack smooth card stock bases in the same color families as the images (which I had grouped by color). Think monochrome-ish vintage collage, And after I made the postcards, I would mount each one on a greeting card base and have a set of note cards at the very least. (I do try to be open-minded and loose about what I can use.) This one turned into a birthday card but there's still others to be made.

So that was my plan and I fussy cut some of the images in spare moments here and there. I noticed last week that I'd trimmed out all of the pink ones so as there were a few monthly challenges for pink, I would do that one first. Then, the planets aligned. The SPA current theme of Faux Postage Stamps would be perfect because there were faux postage stamps among the images! It's like meant to be, right? heehee

  
So, the mock-up on left is how I arranged the collage at first. It looked dead and flat to me. I remembered I had a Deep Red stamp called Artist for Hire of a vintage woman holding a sign. The mock-up at right shows me fitting it in, albeit with a text stamp that I ultimately did not use. I liked this better. Plus, I added the greeting card matting to the mock-up to see how that would look.

  
I also thought the collage needed a background so I stamped some lace stripes using Deep Red Stamp's Vintage Lace Borders. I then stenciled over that using A Colorful Life's Lace Close Up stencil. I used Archival Pink Peony and Plum inks.

  
Then I proceeded to cover up almost all of that gorgeous background, but hey, it's what I seem to like to do. I used stamps for the sign from Sweet Stamp Shop, Artistic Outpost and Clear Dollar. A final addition of tiny mulberry Prima flowers and Nuvo Pink Orchid center-dotted pearls and done. Since the faux postage is French, I had to add French words as well.

 Then, it was on to adding my post card to my card front. Choosing the card base color was the most difficult part. I finally settled on this SU dark brownish pink card stock. To add interest and break up the plum-colored mat, I edge distressed it and then adhered stripes of some delicate pink lace netting from the stash that my mom gave me.

I'm so pleased how feminine and flowery and vintage it turned out, plus pretty dang monochromish too. Collage will probably continue to be a trick in my art bag because it's a great 3-D visualization workout I've been practicing for quite a few years now. I do feel that I've improved some and the amazing thing is to me, it's been an intuitive improvement. I love art best when it's that way. :-) Thanks for visiting and stay well and safe! XOX

MY CHALLENGES PLAYLIST:
1.   Sunday Postcard Art: Faux Postage Stamps
2.   Creations in Pink #22: AG in Mainly Pink
3.   Try It On Tuesdays: Lovely Ladies
4.   Outlawz Twisted Thursday May 21 - June 3: AG + Opt. Pearls & Lace
5.   Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #132: AG
6.   TTCRD for Week of May 19-25: AG
7.   Sparkles Monthly #128: Use a Real Stamp - used several listed in post above
8.   Classic Design May Challenge: AG
9.   More Mixed Media May Challenge: Ag + Opt. Pink -- I played the option!
10. Cutie Pie Challenge #147: Pretty in Pink
11. Crafty Creations May Challenge: AG
12. Simply Create Too Challenge #160: Use Flowers
13. Aud Sentiments #251: Sentiment + AG
14. A Place to Start May Challenge: Make Your Own Background -- I stamped and stenciled mine.
15. Country View May Challenge: Tea Party/Celebration - Birthday with tea faux postage

18 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

You are hilarious! I laughed hard when I read how you wanted to use up the images so you wouldn't have to look at them any more. I loved reading your thought process while making this postcard. What a lovely design, and pink is so pretty. Well done my friend. Stay safe Aimes!!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

A monochromatic collage! Very cool, turned out great!

Joy Wilson said...

Awesome project! Very creative!!! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!
Hugs, Joy
Joyfully Stamps
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the More Mixed Media challenge. Hope to see you again next time.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely adore this! You have some very lovely ladies here! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday again with your pink collage! Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

This is fabulous Aimeslee. It is a true tribute to women! I like the background by itself, so you could have made 2 super cards but as 1, they are amazing. Thanks for sharing with us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

Corrie Herriman said...

Great birthday card ! Thank you for playing in our May 'Tea/birthday party' over at Country View Challenges !
Corrie x

Furrbster said...

Wow this is fab!

Thanks for playing along at Aud Sentiments,

Hugz Tinz

Lisa Bird said...

Awesome work and so pretty. Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments Challenge Blog
Best Wishes Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Arteconpapelmaderaehilos said...

Great project. Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Maritza DT

Meggymay said...

A fantastic project. You have added some really beautiful images. Thank you for linking to our theme at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Jane said...

Great fun and perfect for our May tea party challenge over at country view, thank you for joining us xx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Just amazing! Love it hun

Thank you for sharing with us at 'A Place To Start' this month
Stay Safe
Hugs Shell xx

Helen said...

A beautiful creation - thanks for sharing it with us at the Simply Create Too Challenge.

Helen x

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Beautiful creation!
Thanks for playing at Crafty Creations Challenge.
Ileanaxx

Chana Malkah said...

Beautiful work, Aimeslee! My attempts at collage never turn out well. I envy those who can pull it off as beautifully as you have done here! Thanks so much for a wonderful response to our challenge at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner
Sorry for the late comment. My other life overtook my crafting life!

Cazro said...

Wonderul. A fabulous collage for the Sunday Postcard, I know what you mean, about being out of time most weeks. Thanks for playing along with us at Sparkles Monthly Challenges Caz. DT

Helen said...

A beautiful design - thanks for sharing it with us at the Sparkles Monthly Challenge.

Helen x