Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Life is a Canvas

Ah, Monday Monday, here we are meeting like this again and now it's Tuesday. How's everyone doing? Great, I hope. I'm finally feeling better after wrestling with an aggravated pinched nerve radiating burning pain from behind my right ear twisting through my shoulder and down to my right elbow. Honey is very tired of rubbing in different "Ben Gay" type topical analgesics, but I do like to switch them up until one makes a real difference. Two Goats worked for me this time but it took forever! At any rate, blessed to not have to deal with that pain today (knock wood).

SUPPLIES:
Papers: Recollections 110# Heavy card stock, Neenah index stock, Basic Grey Gypsy/Romani patterned paper, deli paper
Stamps: Technique Junkies, Crafters Companion Textures,
Stencils: The Crafters Workshop 6x6 Splats and 6x6 Microbial
Inks: VersaMark, VersaFine Clair, Distress Inks
Dies/Punches: Spellbinders A2 Torn Edges Rectangle
Stash/Other: Washi Tapes, embossing powders, Sakura red metallic Gold Shadow gel pen, Bic Wite Out correction pen

I have a birthday card to share today that's another one of those concept cards, where you have this idea in your head how it's gonna work and look, but no prototype or pro forma sample. I knew I needed paint splats all over my card front, for example. Getting my acrylic paints out and splattering them was too simple! Anyway, if it seems like I'm feeling my way through, I am!

I used no sketch this time! Just had my own in my head, lol. I began with Technique Junkies phrase stamp which says "Life is a great big Canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." This is a quote by Danny Kaye and the bottom of the stamp has his name. But because I was stamping on deli paper with VersaFine Clair in order to heat emboss, very hard to get a clear enough impression of his tiny name at the bottom. After I stamped a decent print and heat-embossed it, I  used Spellbinders A2 Torn Edges die to cut my quote. Then I coated the back with UHU glue stick and adhered to my card front. What I absolutely love about deli paper in mixed media is its transparency when layered and adhered. I came up with the idea of using washi tape to cover up the Danny Kaye smear and it turned out to be a good idea! Found some cool artsy tapes in my stash.

 
My base mat layer is a cut piece of Basic Grey from the 12x12 Gypsy / Romani Collection. I found 3 of them in my scraps from when I had cut up a 12x12 sheet into squares. So, I stamped and strenciled the paint splatters using VersaMark ink and heat-embossed using green, pink, yellow and red embossing powders. I finished the "painting" with splotches of bright white Bic Wite Out correction pen, because it was in reach and easy. I also used my red Sakura Gold Shadow metallic gel pen to color the word Canvas in my quote.

The inside of my card has a computer-generated sentiment I created. I used another BG square on the left and my sentiment printed on Neenah on the right. I wanted the Neenah to have some color so I stenciled Distress Inks through TCW's Microbial stencil and inked the paper's edges. I added two strips of pink camo washi tape (since the sentiment references paintball!).

Going to the back of my card, another cut piece of BG and washi tape strips and a stamped siggie on a snippet of green card stock.

A final view: I am happy I made this card as it has been sitting in my mind waiting for quite a while. I think using colored embossing powders for the paint splats is a nifty, easy and attractive alternative to getting out the acrylics. God knows I have enough powders to last 4 lifetimes, lol. Plus, I get a thrill every time the powder melts!

CHALLENGES:
1.   Country View Nov. Challenge: Hand-Stamped
2.   Love to Scrap Challenge #127: AG
3.   ABMTTC #104: Always AG
4.   Crafty Hazelnuts Patterned Paper Challenge: Nov AG with PP
5.   Brown Sugar Challenge #295: AG
6.   Stamplorations Theme & Photo Nov. Challege: Stamps + Circles
7.   TTCRD For Nov. 26-Dec. 2: AG
8.   Outlawz Color Tuesday Nov. 19- Dec 2: Photo Inspiration -- I used every color thanks to the washi tape, but did not play the optional twist
 9.   Crafts Galore Encore Challenge #69: AG
10.  Stamplorations Stencil Nov. Challenge: AG with Stencil
11.  Your Scrapbook Place Nov. Challenge #69: Always AG
12.  Time Out Challenge #149: Celebrations + Opt. One-Layer -- Birthday card and I ALMOST had a one layer card!  

13.  613 Avenue Create Challenge #227: AG + Opt. Scrap Your Stash -- I've played the option.
14.  The Creative Crafters Challenge #22: AG

Thanks for dropping by today and allowing me to share my creativity. To my American friends, happy turkey thawing!!!

21 comments:

sandie said...

so glad you are not in pain now! And what a joy of a card-I bet you had a lot of fun making this! I adore the sentiment and how you developed your cad around this-all the colours and that lovely texture really gels together=thanks for joining Time Out

Donna Ellis said...

Such a delightful reminder, Aimes, and so beautifully put in an artistic manner! hugs, de

Crafting with Darcy said...

What a fun card! I love it, Amy! Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Jean said...

Beautiful creation, thank you for sharing at 613 Avenue Create xx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous card and an awesome sentiment.
Yvonne xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

It's gorgeous, Aimeslee! So creative and I love how you used the washi tape! Glad you got some relief from your pinched nerve.

nancy littrell said...

So pleased Aimeslee that you shared your stenciled mixed media card with us at STAMPlorations Stencil Challenge. Loved all your colors, stenciling and washi tape with the perfect stamped sentiment. Hugs..Nancy

Heather said...

Very cool! Your "canvas" looks really fabulous! Thanks for playing with Love To Scrap Challenge Blog.

Words and Pictures said...

The bright bold colours and the energy of all those swirls and rings are just perfect to go with the positivity of the words - what a great card.
Alison x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Very nice. I do like how your sentiment goes so well with your background. Happy Thanksgiving.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card great sentiment and love the splatters-hope you are feeling much better
Carol x

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Aimeslee just popping back to say-Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create
Carol DT x

Monika Gulyas said...

Great card with a great sentiment!!! Thank you for joining the November challenge of the Country View Challenges!

Craftyfield said...

Beautiful inside and out! And the washi is so cool… Thanks for playing with us at STAMPlorations Theme & Photo Prompt!

Craftyfield said...

And thanks for showing us your stamping stuff at Country View Challenges too!

Carole J said...

I hope you are feeling better by now, Amy and trust that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! I am loving your artsy card! I didn't realise that the quote was from Danny Kaye - so I've learned something new today! Fabulous splashes of colour on your design paper and a great idea to stamp the sentiment on vellum. Love the washi tape!
Thank you for sharing your lovely project with us at the Crafts Galore Encore “Anything Goes” November Challenge. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon!
Carole x DT Craftilicious Creations

Chana Malkah said...

Hi, Aimseslee!
You did a fabulous job of getting this concept out of your head and on to the paper! Your card is a fun visual experience. Thanks so much for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana

Crafter's Icon said...

Gorgeous !! Thank you for joining us at BrownSugar Challenges . Good luck with your entry.
Sharmitha @ Crafter's Icon

Sanna said...

great layers!!! Thanks for playing along with us at STAMPlorations challenges!!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Wow! so much color and texture and movement in this wonderful creation! Thanks for joining us again at Time Out!

Betta said...

Thank you so much for participating in our Brown Sugar challenge with this wonderful card with an incredible background!!!!!!!!
Hope you participate in our next!!
Kisssssssssssssssssssss
Bettascrap DT