Friday, November 15, 2019

Birthday Drama Diva

TGIF, sweet blogging friends!

The birthday card I am sharing today was mailed off a few days ago to my first childhood friend and oldest friendship. We met 60 years ago at my 3rd birthday party. Her thing always was theatre arts and she studied under my dad who taught college theatre arts. A few years ago, I bought this Red Rubber Designs stamp being drawn to the humor of the drama diva thing but had never inked it up. I love coming up with the scenarios, punch lines, contexts for cards, so here was a perfect chance for a twofer!

SUPPLIES:
Paper:   Bazzill Kraft (card base), Neenah index stock, Basic Grey Scarlett's Letter Collection papers and tags, Pacon gold mirror board
Stamps:  Red Rubber Designs Live Simply drama diva, My Favorite Things, Julia Andrus/Jadecraft, My Sentiments Exactly, Lawn Fawn, Paper Trey Ink, Clear Dollar
Inks:  ProMarkers, Versafine Clair
Dies/Punches:  Verve Visuals Starry Die
Stash/Other: Eyelet Outlet Movie brads, gold sequins, brown satin ribbon, Sakura metallic glitter gel pen, embossing powder

 
I used a Split Coast Stampers sketch (SC 766), resizing it to A7 5x7 in PSE. I added a split-level layer on Layer #2, adding my matted stamped focal image above Layer #3 (brown ribbon) and one of the collection's tags below that. I was also able to use a round tag, to which I stamped my own snarky sentiment with my alphabet stamps. This paper collection is quite old and is 12x12. If you remember Basic Grey, the papers always came with tags and letter stickers. I only have a few tags left to use but it has taken a long time, and I will probably never even make a dent in the stickers. So it made me feel good to use all but one of the remaining tags. You will see I used a third one on the back.

After cutting my patterned paper layers, I ran the chisel end of my black ProMarker around all paper and tag edges. I just felt the card would benefit from being anchored with black, and my intuition didn't disappoint. The 2 black mats were cut from white index stock and colored black around the edges. My focal image was distressed using my Tim tool.

My inside sentiments were created in PSE. I can't wait to hear her tell me her eyesight is still just fine and she didn't the enlarged text - hahaha

For the back, I made a little collage out of some of my leftover snippets, again edging with my black ProMarker chisel end and using a 3rd tag to stamp my siggie on. Actually 3 siggie stamps. :-))

The color combo of red, green, brown and black looks great, doesn't it? And hey, notice how I touched the top left with green and then the bottom right. And how I touched the top right and bottom left with red, making a visual path including the focal image's red dress? I love how our eyes work so innately without our help at all. The genius that came up with these rules to attract our eyes was only noticing biological nature already at work, but I'm sure glad he/she noticed!

Aren't those movie brads adorable? I had to include them. Jingle Belle Lauren enabled me and got me re-hooked on Eyelet Outlet after seeing I could buy them on Amazon! This one is the clapperboard. And of course, I had to make the sentiment sync up with it! 

And how about that film reel brad? Those mirror board stars make a nice accent...

A final view. I sure hope it arrives to her on time what with our messed up mail delivery here. Been that way since Tropical Storm Imelda took out the USPS's largest American mail sorting facility in north Houston. I am so hoping it gets resolved soon!

CHALLENGES:
1.   Split Coast Stampers Sketch SC766 -- sketch is shown above
2.   The Artistic Stamper Creative Team Nov. Challenge: Mix It Up! -- My focal image is stamped rubba and I mixed up paper patterns.
3.    Use Your Stuff Challenge #382: Red Brown Gold 

4.   The Card Concept Challenge #123: Photo Inspiration -- the colors inspired me and my card is a mash-up of Classy/Elegant, Vintage and Clean/Layered design styles.
5.   Crafty Calendar Nov. Challenge: Cute & Girly
6.   613 Avenue Create Challenge #227: Ag + Opt Twist Scrap Your Stash - I've played the twist. The ribbon and papers were all in my stash. The paper is at least a decade old.
7.    Passion for ProMarkers Week 59: Ribbons and/or Bows -- I colored my stamped image with ProMarkers and I used a brown satin ribbon.
8.    The House That Stamps Built Tic Tac Toe Challenge N1319 -- I played the middle column: Gold/Patterned Paper/Friendship (my birthday card is for a friend and it celebrates our 60-yr. friendship)
9.    Country View Nov. Challenge: Hand-Stamped Focal
10.  More Mixed Media Nov. Challenge: AG + Opt. Black -- I've played the option, using quite a bit of black to anchor my card layers and elements.
11.  Colour Crazy Challenge Week 44: AG with Colouring -- I have colored my focal image with ProMarkers.
12.  Crazy 4 Challenges C4C510: Add Texture -- I have multiple textural items: metal brads and stars, satin ribbon with nubby trim, and my focal image is edge distressed with my Tim distressor tool.
13.  Outlawz Festive Fridays Nov. 15-28: Birthday theme
14. The Three Muses Challenge: Something Art Deco -- my focal stamped image and my papers.

Thanks as always for visiting and allowing me to share my creativity with you! XOX

18 comments:

Taluula said...

Take a bow, my friend, this is a beautiful art deco card. I'm sure your friend absolutely loved it too.

Chris said...

Fabulous design! Love the image and sentiment, the inside message made me laugh, brilliant!
Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Calendar
Chris
x

Meggymay said...

A fabulous and special card for your friend. She will love it.
I really likes the words you added, they go so well with the card you created.
Yvonne xx

Chana Malkah said...

Wow! You did a fabulous job of combining the elements in all these challenges to create a visually interesting and appealing card! The design is so complete and will become a keepsake for the recipient. Very nice work! I love it!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah

Heather said...

Fabulous card!! Love how the embellishments tie in with the theater theme; which is so personalized for your friend! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

Lozzy said...

Love your card xx

Donna Ellis said...

LOL! And OOH LA LA! Such drama and flair! Aimeslee, I don't even know how you thought this design up. It's fabulous in every way! I love love LOVE it! All the stars, motion, "sophistication" and color choices make it spectacular! Who would not thoroughly enjoy receiving this creation?! It's fabulous. I am following you via email so I don't miss anything! Wishing you a great Thanksgiving! hugs, de

KT Fit Kitty said...

Hello, Aimeslee! Your card is amazing! What a fun image and sentiment and I love your papers! The inside and back are equally beautiful!

Crafty KJ said...

Another stunning creation and it's absolutely gorgeous! Love this image and that sentiment is just brilliant! Your papers are fab too and I love all your details - so much work has gone into this card. I love your blog too by the way! Thanks so much for joining in with my challenge this week at PFP and I look forward to seeing some more of your creations soon. Hugs, Karen xx

Sue said...

This is really lovely Aimeslee, I'm a huge fan of Basic Grey papers and they look beautiful here. I'm sure your friend will love this card. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Craftyfield said...

Super card, unusual and Vintage, handcrafted specially for a friend... who can ask for more! Thanks for playing with us at Country View Challenges this month.

Susan Powell said...

How awesome it must be to have a life long friend like that. Your card is fantastic and I'm sure she'll love it. Thanks so much for joining us at The Card Concept.

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Than you for joining the Colour Crazy challenge. Hope to see you again next time.

Esther Asbury said...

Wow! So many wonderful details on your fun birthday card! Thanks for playing along in Repeat Impressions Tic Tac Toe Challenge!

crafty-stamper said...

WOW stunning card Aimeslee love the gorgeous image,fabulous papers and embellishments-great verse lol
Carol x

Margo said...

This is such a lovely card.
Thank you so much for joining us at Colour Crazy Craft Challenge and the best of luck with your entry!
Greetz
Margo DT

rachel said...

I love this - brilliant! Thanks for joining us at countryview challenges! Hugs rachel xx

Jackie C said...

Just perfect for the Challenge! Great project! Fabulous that you have shared this with us here at Colour Crazy. Good luck and we hope you will come back again! Jackie DT Member xxx