Monday, October 14, 2019

Boo-Yah Birthday!

HiHo, fellow blog folk, hoping you are all well and happy. Spirits are joyous here at Casa Winans because our Houston Astros won Game 2 last night against the NY Yankees. WooHoo! It was an extra-innings SLUG fest and we are so proud of our 'Stros!

I have a teen guy card to share today. Our youngest nephew turns 15 next month. We always send a check in a handmade card, and as teen guy cards are my absolute worst fear, I always tell myself to just make a boring card since the interest is the money anyway.

But this time I'm trying something different: a humorous Beccy's Place digital stamp and sentiment from her Slugs and Snails set. I've paired it up with some really old vintage Junkitz Earth Tones Collection patterned paper and lots of ink and edge distressing for a grunge look.

SUPPLIES:
Paper: KI Memories Earth Broadway/Favorite Things and Junkitz Earth Toned patterned paper card stock, SU card stock, Neenah index stock, grey copy paper
Stamps: Beccy's Place Slugs and Snails digital stamps, Stamp Magick siggie stamp
Inks: ProMarkers, Palette Hybrid inks
Dies: Spellbinders A2 Distressed Edges
Stencils: Tim's Layering Stencils: Ringer and Treads
Other/Stash: square antique silver brads, circle punch, ribbon, enamel dots

  
I used the current Outlawz Wednesday Sketch sized to 6x6 in PSE and printed out. I placed the brads I needed to use for Beccy's challenge the same place as the round elements shown on sketch, also placed the sentiment the same. Followed this sketch pretty much to the letter.

I cut my card base from some old KIMemories double-sided 12x12 card stock, which was made to be a scrapbooking layout base and is a bit flimsy on its own for a card. So to strengthen my card walls, I cut a sheet of the 12x12 Junkitz stripes into quarters and adhered all 4 card base surfaces with it. The front has a grey bottom mat for added strength and appearance. I used the grey SU card stock to mat everything on front, after ink and edge distressing all front paper elements with Charcoal Grey Palette ink and a sponge dauber. I love this edge-distressing ink color with these papers. And except for the index stock I printed the image and sentiment on, every cut piece sitting on the striped mat is a Snippet Scrap leftover from previous projects.

The computer-generated sentiment was decorated with ProMarker dots in coordinated colors. For the focal image, I colored this crazy-cute snail named Jose with my ProMarkers and then stenciled some ground dirt (using Treads stencil) and a background (using Ringer stencil) with my Palette inks and sponge daubers. I love the stencil background and my ink color choice was a good one!
I finished it off with my brads (shown here), grey enamel dots and the sheer striped ribbon.

  
Here you can see the inside fully covered with the stripes paper. I combined 3 of Beccy's sentiments in the stamp set with my own "And lots of love..." text in PSE and printed out. Then I die cut it using my Spellbinders die. I couldn't help the SNAIL mail pun, HA!

Like I said, I've had this Junkitz paper collection for a long while so there are lots of snippet scraps from leftover uses. I took a triangular plaid piece and a mod squares rectangle piece and made a little mat for my punched siggie stamp after distressing the edges first.

 A few more close-ups....

 Love Jose Snail and all his SLUGGISH friends in Beccy's stamp set...

Somewhat dimensional and textured, yet still flat enough to SNAIL mail...

I sure hope my nephew doesn't think this is too juvenile for him. To me, this is cartoon-y and snarky and NOT little kid cutesy, but who knows what teens are thinking? This is exactly why I fear teen boy cards! Oh, well, I tried!

CHALLENGES:
1.  Outlawz Wednesday Sketch Oct. 2-15 -- Sketch is shown above
2.  Beccy's Place October Challenge: Beccy's Image + Opt. Brads -- I've used Beccy's Place Slugs and Snails image and I've played the option with 2 brads
3.  2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge #31: AG w/a Critter -- I used the sponsor Beccy's Place Snail image and sentiments
4.  Paper Babe Stamps Challenge #104: Movie Night -- A Bug's Life
5.  Outlawz Festive Fridays Oct. 4-17: Birthday theme
6.  613 Avenue Create Challenge #226: AG -- I did NOT play the option
7.  Paper Girls Challenge #185: Birthdays
8.  Mix It Up Challenge #30: AG + Opt. Open Tech -- I've played the option and my technique is stenciling
9.  Pixie's Snippet Playground Challenge #363: AG with a Snippet -- see description above - lots of Snippets. And YES, please, Miss Di, include me in the draw!
10. Colour Crazy Challenge Week 40: AG w/Colouring -- I used ProMarkers to color my image and sentiment.
11. Scrapping 4 Fun Challenge #151: AG + Opt. Warm Colours -- I've played the option with warm colours   

12. The House That Stamps Built Challenge O919: Tic-Tac-Toe -- I did first column on left (Wildlife / Texture / Stencil) and I could also said bottom row (Stencil / Humor / Dimension).
13. Stamplorations October Stencil Challenge: AG w/Stenciling
14.  Crafty Hazelnuts Patterned Paper Oct. Challenge: AG w/PP
15.  More Mixed Media Oct. Challenge: AG + Opt. Orange -- I believe my card has enough orange to play the option, but if not, then I've also used mixed media materials so I quality for AG.
16.  Crafty Creations Challenge #400: AG

Thanks so much for visiting and I hope to see you again real soon! xox

23 comments:

~ginny said...

Aimeslee, thank you so much for sharing your projects with us! You had me at "Boo-Yah" on this one! I am convinced he will enjoy this card - briefly - till he sees the money - but that is good for a 15 yr. old! Well done!
~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C
RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

creationsnz said...

A wonderful boy card, the old slug and snails and puppy dog tails still works. So glad you shared with us at 2CraftyCritterCrazies, we hope you come again soon. CarolG

crafty-stamper said...

WOW this is absolutely brilliant and should definitely appeal to a 15yrs old lol-love the fabulous fun slug image and sentiment -great papers and brads
Carol x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wow Aimes you really blew this out of the water! You did a bang up job with the sketch. Your nephew is going to love this

Lozzy said...

what a cool card..love it and bet your Nephew will as well...hugs Lozzy xx

Heather said...

This is adorable and absolutely perfect for a teen boy birthday! There is no way he will think this is too juvenile! Fabulous papers and layout and great mix of sentiments. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

Crafting with Darcy said...

So cute, Amy! I love how you put all the photos in for your work in progress! Your nephew is going to love this wonderful card for a teenage boy! Your choices just flow together seamlessly! Love this card!
Hugs!
Darcy

Billie A said...

Oh this card is so cute. I love the snails. Awesome design and colors. So glad you shared over at Colour Crazy challenge.
Billie A
Colour Crazy Challenge
Catch The Bug
Creative With Stamps
Aud Sentiments
Always Fun Challenges
Creations In Pink
Do-Al(l)Kreatives
Crafty Gals Corner
Crafty Catz
Crafty Sentiments

Di said...

Brilliant card! So perfect for your nephew - and a great design with wonderful colouring and colour co-ordination as well.

Hugs

Di xx

Scrapping4funChallenges said...

This is so cute! Beautiful card!
Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges
Rachelle DT
https://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fun card! The stamps are fabulous and I love how you used the brads 😀. Wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs, Jo x

Beccy said...

I think your teenaged nephew will love the card you've created for him Aimeslee, it's obvious that you've put a LOT of work into it. My son, who has just turned 16, likes these slimy little guys so I think your nephew will too. You've done a fabulous job mixing and matching all the snippets of "vintage" paper with the brads and dots and things. Well done!
Cheers,
Beccy

Tammy said...

Sooo cute and fun, I love that image and the awesome layout!
Tammy x

Ina G said...

What a fabulous way out creation you have here. Just brilliant. Thanks for sharing with us at STAMPlorations Stencil Challenge.

Jackie C said...

Love it, different and cute! So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create. Please come back again! The best of luck with your entry. Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

Words and Pictures said...

This card is so much fun. I can't say I'm the biggest fans of snails and slugs, but I'll make an exception for this one! I love the patterned framed panels - such a great design.
Alison x

Renate said...

This is a beautiful Halloween card, I love the colors
Thank you for joining us at Scrapping4Fun
Renate DT

MariLynn said...

So cute. Love the snail. I like the circle background. I am sure he is going to love your card. Thanks for sharing with STAMPlorations Stencil Challenge.

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Love this card! It's just fabulous, such a great design. This set is very funny. Thanks for joining us at MIUCB
Tina dt

Esther Asbury said...

Oh how cute!! I love that quirky looking snail, and what a fun card design! Thanks for linking to the Inspiration Board Challenge on the Repeat Impressions blog!

Esther Asbury said...

oops - I meant Tic Tac Toe Challenge!

Sanna said...

this is a fun one! thanks for playing with STAMPlorations challenges!

Susan Renshaw said...

Fun card - this made me smile!
Thank you for sharing with Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge!
Susan
DT for Patterned Paper Challenge
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!