Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Living Years

Hi there. Hope your weekend is going well. This is my TCB weekend: it's been too long since I've art journaled. I usually try to play at Art Journal Journey and missed last month. So it's been on my mind to not miss another. I had already planned a handful of spreads and gathered materials, so I chose to finish up the one that was the furthest along in process: a lyrical tribute to Mike and the Mechanix 1988 song, The Living Years.

The song is about generations and generation gaps -- between parent and child, father and son. It's a ballad and tells a story. And from the first time I heard it, I considered it very special with a poignant important message. Just a few lines in my journal couldn't suffice. Had to be every line, like a beloved poem, in my Book of Wisdom journal.

 
(Click on any image to enlarge.)

SUPPLIES:
Collage Sheet Images by Collage Stuff, Crowabout, Teesha Moore
Paper Snippets from my scrap stash
Die: Spellbinders Frame, MFT Jumbo Fishtail Banner Stax
Stencils: Joggles Scalloped Rows; Tim Holtz Dot Fade; Stamplorations Confetti Circles; Tim Holtz Splatter; TCW Bricks; Sheena Douglass Grunge Tree
Other:  Rub-ons, Stickers, black vintage photo corners from my stash; Posca Paint Pens; Acrylic paints; Distress inks; Fiskars Heritage corner punch

I took some process shots to share of the background as I created it, because I used several stencils with acrylic paints after gessoing my paper and painting a base coat of blue. First stencil up was Joggles' Scalloped Rows in brown.

I followed that with Tim Holtz's Dot Fade Layering stencil and yellow paint, then Stamplorations' Confetti Circles in more yellow paint. Then TCW's Bricks stencil in red paint, followed by Tim's Splatter stencil in more red paint. Above photo is after those steps.

Once all that dried, I used a black Posca Paint Pen to trace trees in front of the brick walls using Sheena Douglass's Grunge Tree stencil.

I colored in the tree trunk and branches and then dotted on leaves (and smeared a bit of paint on purpose, too), all with my Poscas. The tree on the left symbolizes the Spring/Summer of Life and the right hand side tree is of course the Autumn of Life (for the father/son generations in the song). The brick walls also represent inability to communicate as in talking/arguing past each other, not being able to see the other's point or understand them. I lucked out and was able to work intuitively on this, so I'm not for certain, but I think the scalloped brown rows reminded me of Arlington cemetery...the rows of graves. What a cool background, huh?

So by this point it was time to cover the background up with my collage of images and lyrics. I chose a story of images to complement the story in the song. This was the last leg of the spread that I worked on yesterday and did not take that terribly long. When I finished, I wondered why the heck I had left this spread hanging in process for so long. One more spread done with favorite song lyrics for me to remember - yay!

CHALLENGES:
1.  Art Journal Journey September Challenge: Dots, Stripes, Plaid or Patterns
2.  Creative Fingers Challenge #170: AG
3.  More Mixed Media September Challenge: AG + Opt. Browns
4.  Crafty Creations Challenge #397: AG
5.  LTCCB # 38: September AG
6.  Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge #53: Anything Mixed Media Goes
7.  Simply Create Too Challenge #153: AG / No Twist
8.  ABMTTC Challenge #99: Always AG
9.  Stamplorations Summer Mixed Media Challenge: AMMG + Stencil
10. Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge #360: AG with Snippets -- Yes, Please include me in the draw and Thank You!
12. Paint Party Friday: Week 27, Year Nine -- my background is all acrylic paints

Thanks so much for dropping by to check my art out! Until next time, Keep It Krafty! XOX

16 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Stunning, Aimeslee. Love this. Even thinking of the song evoked so many memories of my teenage years! Lots of thoughts sparked by this - perfect.
Cath x

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Wow, I love that you took some photos of the process because there was a lot going on there that I might not have noticed otherwise. Really neat journal.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard that song before, Aimeslee, but I enlarged the photos and read through it. How sad, poignant, and feeling of frustration followed by feeling of loss. My question is, do all teens feel this way, or is it just those who are unable to communicate with their parents?

I found this utterly fascinating and a great way to share the words through your photos and art. I was most impressed that you also chose to share it with us using Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey, too. Unbelievably gorgeous and unique.

Meggymay said...

Fabulous journal pages and a super way to record your liking for this particular song.
The photos of the stages looked great as well.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is unique, I love the song and your spread ! Fantastic!And seeing the progress is super as well!
A wonderful entry for the PSPP topic at AJJ dear Aimeslee! Thank you for joining in ! Great to have you with us again this month!
Happy Sunday!
Susi xxx

craftytrog said...

A fabulous spread Aimeslee! xx

LA Paylor said...

Nice to meet you Aimeslee! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment too. I enjoy seeing the progression of a piece of art, so your post was right up my alley. LeeAnna

Neet said...

Wow, great pages and so appropriate for AJJ. I especially like the dots you have used on the tree, very effective.
Hugs, Neet xx

sirkkis said...

Amazingly rich and lovely art journal spread. Great song, as well.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful journal pages Aimeslee and love all the step by step-never heard of this song so just googles it and you interpreted it beautifully
Carol x

My name is Erika. said...

This is a super song Aimeslee. And your page is just as special. OhI love all your patterns! And also the gorgeous vintage images you included. Together they work really well. And i also like the bright colors you used instead of the typical vintage colors and browns that are so often used with vintage images. Thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey and for sharing your patterns! Looks like you had a fun weekend of play, and happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Sue (this n that) said...

Hello Aimeslee :D) lovely to meet you on PPF.
Your journal pages are beautiful and it was so nice to see and read through your process too. I always love the use of gold. The colours you've used are really distinctive. Cheers, Sue

Beth Niquette said...

How beautifully creative you are!

Di said...

Aimeslee, this is absolutely glorious! Wonderful work - and one of my favourite songs too! Delighted your gout attack went quickly. That's often the way for some people - nasty as it is at the time, how great it went away quickly! I won't use the word lucky but after months of suffering I do so envy folk who have a quick sharp attack.

Hugs

Di xx

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Cool journal spread ~ and I enjoy seeing the development process ~ nice!

Andree said...

A fabulous journal spread and super step by step photos. A great tribute piece.
Thank you for joining in with our September challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x