Friday, September 13, 2019

Steampunk Christmas Time

Hello Hello! Are we all "geared up" for the weekend? I have an annual high school reunion tomorrow night so that should be fun! It's on the patio of a local restaurant, so I hope we don't all sweat buckets! It's still plenty hot and humid here.

So, I have this Christmas card to share. Gecko Galz theme style this month is Steampunk so I hunted up all my materials/supplies and came up with quite a bit. I've never really created much of this style. Guess it's time to try! My take on it here is clean steam with a dash of punk, hehehe. But of course, it has to be done MY way. ;-))) (Actually, I had to force myself to keep it flat-ish. I have metal gears and all kinds of gadgets I could have added if I did not have to worry about mailing it.)

 
I used this current 6x6 sketch #167 from Sweet Sketch Wednesday. I did have to put the sentiment strip up top instead - not enough room on the side like the sketch has it.

SUPPLIES:
Images: Gecko Galz (front bird and clock sheet, back siggie collage all from Industrial Age Digital Stamp set)
Paper: Urban Lily (inside)
Card Stock:  Bazzill Textured, Paper Cuts Kraft, Neenah Index
Stamps / Images: Lawn Fawn, Sara Davies, Hero Arts
Inks: VersaMark, VersaFine Clair, Distress Inks, ProMarkers
Die Cuts / Punches: Fiskars Heritage Corner Punch, Sizzix Tim Holtz Tick Tock die, Spellbinders Classic Circles die
Stash: Sequins, Stickles Glitter Glues, Nuvo Metallic and Crystal Drops, Sakura gel pens, blending brushes

Okay, I tried a couple little things on this card that I'd never done before. Read somewhere that ink distressing kraft card stock makes a gorgeous Faux Leather look, so I Distressed the bottom brown mat that has the rounded corners. That is a pale tan kraft card stock that I inked with Brushed Cordouroy Distress Ink using my blending brush. Not exactly Fine Corinthian Leather but a nice effect. I also color-tinted a black and white printed image of clocks (the paper layer on top of the brown one) with my ProMarkers. The colors look more vintage, muted. I quite like it. I outlined the swirls on the image with a Sakura silver metallic gel pen and it picks up the light well for a shimmery look.
I cut into a 12x12 piece of very old Urban Lily patterned paper to line the inside of the card. I stamped a Hero Arts sentiment.

On the back, I matted it with another piece of ink-distressed kraft card stock. I used a Gecko Galz  image as a surface to stamp my Lawn Fawn siggie. I distress-inked it with a few different shades of blue. It says "Watch and Clock" on it.

A close-up. I think it looks cool. It's definitely different! Keeps things interesting. ;-)

The front Lawn Fawn and Sara Davies sentiments were heat-embossed  in different colors. I'd tried to white-emboss the bottom sentiment but it reads better in a dark ink, so one is white, the other is navy blue. I dry-embossed the vertical navy strip behind the clock with a Cuttlebug Clockworks embossing folder. I colored the Gecko Galz steampunk bird with my ProMarkers and then went over certain colors with my metallic Prisma colored pencils and added some gel pen shimmer here and there.

To color my Tick Tock clock die, I used two colors of Smooch Ink, Copper and Silver. I didn't really care for the silver after it dried, so I layered on some Smooch Champagne color and it looked better.

Sequins, Stickles and Nuvo drops were the finishing touches. Here are some detail shots to show the sparkle, shimmer and shine:







CHALLENGES:
1. Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 Sketch 167 -- sketch is shown above
2.  Take a Word: Flight -- Time flies as do birds.
3.  Moo Mania #199: Use a Stamp
4.  Outlawz Twisted Thursdays Sept. 12-25: AG + Opt. Round the Corners - I've played the twist.
5.  12 Months of Christmas Link Up #57: AG + Opt. Kraft Paper
6.  Gecko Galz September Facebook Challenge: A Moment in Time
7.  Colour Crazy Challenge Week 35: AG with Colouring - I colored the bird and the clock sheet with ProMarkers, the clock with Smooch inks, and the Kraft card stock mats with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink and a blending brush.
8.  I Love ProMarkers Challenge #392: Use 3 Layers
9.  Passion for ProMarkers Challenge Week 510: Sequins, Pearls, Gems
10.  Happy Little Stampers September AG with Dies
11.  The House That Stamps Built Challenge DCC S419: Things that Start with B -- BIRD
12.  The House That Stamps Built Challenge S1119: Tic Tac Toe -- I chose  Winged Things / Square Card / Embossing, Heat or Dry (I did both).
13.  More Mixed Media September Challenge: AG + Opt. Browns -- I've played the option.
14.  ABC Christmas September Challenge: S is for Sparkle, T is for Texture -- I have both.
15.  MLCCB #14: AG
16.  ABMTTC #99: Always AG
17.  2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge #30: AG with a Critter
18.  Through The Craft Room Door Sept. 10-16: Always AG
19.  Catch the Bug Anything Goes Challenge
20.  Scrapping 4 Fun Challenge #149: AG
21.  Use Your Stuff Challenge #374: Mood Board - Used the colors  
22.  SanDee & Amelie's September Steampunk Challenge: Anything Goes Steampunk/Industrial

That's all from me for now. I thank you so much for visiting and welcome you back any time! Happy Weekend! xoxo

20 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

A brilliant make, absolutely thrilling! Thank you beyond belief for joining Moo Mania &More again dear Aimeslee!
Happy weekend!
Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous card. It has so many interesting steampunk details and wonderful aged effects. The bird looks fantastic.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fabulous card! I love the steampunk vibe 😁. Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Where do I even begin Aimes! Im a lover of steam punk and this rocks my world. You added so many lovely details. Your distressing of the kraft paper looks like leather hugs Bethie

Words and Pictures said...

Caught sight of you at MOO Mania and popped over to see what you've been up to. I just love this steampunk bird - what a fabulous setting you've given him, clocks and clocks and more clocks - it's so cool.
Alison x

Esther Asbury said...

I love all the fun details you included in this fun Christmas card! Thanks so much for linking up to the Tic Tac Toe Challenge over on The House That Stamps Built!

Heather said...

Cute! The pocket watches are perfect embellishments for this image! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

Julie said...

oooh lovely Steampunk Design - great image too! Thanks for joining in our challenge this week at Passion For Promarkers, good luck! Juliexx

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh what a very cool, and very well designed card!! Very impressed with all the challenges you managed with this too- awesome!

Shelly said...

Great, original idea for a Xmas card. Thanks for joining us at Passion for Promarkers, Shelly

Carole J said...

Steampunk and Christmas are not two words that I would normally put together, but this little robin is perfect for your Christmas card. The cute, whimsical sentiment made me smile! Thank you for the inspiration and for joining the Time challenge at Gecko Galz Facebook group ( pop it into the Steampunk album too)! xx

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

What a 'tweet' (^-^) Holiday card.. Love the details you added and look how many challenges you used.. Way to go .. Thanks for playing along with us this fortnight at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2. AJ DT SSW2

klistersøster said...

Thank you for sharing with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges. You've achieved an awesome faux leather look on your fine steampunk Christmas card. Hugs, Susan

NickScrapShack said...

Fantastic Christmas card. Love the steampunk touch! Great colouring too.
Thank you for playing along with us at I LOVE PROMARKERS. Best of luck! Nick

Lindsey said...

This is such a fun mash-up of steampunk and Christmas! Your combination of all the elements is perfect. Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge!

Lori Kobular said...

Your card is so fun! I love all the elements and it is a great steampunk card! Your really did an awesome job! Thanks for sharing with us at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge!!

Susan Renshaw said...

Love that bird image!
Thanks for sharing with 12 Months of Christmas Link Up!

SUSAN DT

DT for The 12 Months of Christmas Link Up!
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

Maura said...

Fun project! Love the bird with the time theme and all the clocks! Thanks for sharing your cool make with us at Sandee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenges! hugs, Maura

Scrapping4funChallenges said...

Gorgeous Steampunk card
Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges
Rachelle DT
https://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

Wei said...

Such a creative project. Thanks for playing along with us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again.