Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A Dolly for Christmas

Happy September! I have a Christmas card to share today that references a very special tradition in our family spanning 3 female generations: doll collecting. Not collectibles, just beloved dolls. My mom had a large collection of porcelain or china dolls growing up. I had my share of dolls from Barbies (and a seamstress godmother who made me Barbie clothes!) to Tiny Tears to Chatty Cathy, but mine were as eclectic as they come and none were expensive (or, I should say, my parents were teachers so every doll was expensive...to them, lol). And our daughter had dolls like mine plus my mom was an excellent seamstress and made her beautiful dresses complete with matching stuffed dolls.

So when I saw the Outlawz' Hobbies challenge, the idea for this card began. I had some Lost Coast doll stamps that I'd bought years back because they reminded me of my mom's dolls, so when I saw their latest challenge Song and Dance, I just had to use them! We made up a song we sang every Christmas about getting a new dolly "to wear", to the tune of "How Much is that Doggie in the Window?":

How much is that Dolly in the window?
The one with the beautiful hair.
I need to ask Santa a favor.
Please make me a Dolly to wear!

Once our daughter got old enough to know there wasn't really a Santa, she replaced Santa with Nana in the song, since Nana made the dolls. Anyway, I wish Mom were still alive, I think I really made this card for her! She would love it.


 
I used a Split Coast Stampers sketch, resized it in PSE to a 6x6 card and printed out. 

SUPPLIES:
Paper/Card Stock: Bazzill, SU, Neenah Index, Magenta pp, Ronna Farrer for AL pp
Stamps: Lost Coast Design Dolls, Sugar Loaf, Impression Obsession, Sweet n Sassy, Sweet Stamp Shop
Inks: VersaFine Clair, Memento, Brilliance
Die Cuts: Spellbinders, W Plus 9
Other: Collage Stuff images; Tim Woodgrain stencil; ProMarkers; Sakura glitter gel pen; sequins and embossing powder from my stash

I stamped a floor under the tree and stenciled the walls, using distress inks and a blender brush. I colored everything with my ProMarkers. I distressed the edges of my one patterned paper layer and die cut the collage images and the mats underneath with my Spellbinders scalloped oval dies.

 
Here is a photo of our daughter modeling one of the beautiful dresses and matching doll that her Nana made her. This was her Easter dress when she was 5.
I purposefully positioned this darling image of the little girl eyeing the dolly, like she is singing the song about her.

For the inside of the card, I stamped this Sweet n Sassy sentiment on a Spellbinders label and stamped a Sugar Loaf doll on the left side.

On the back of the card, I layered some patterned paper snippets from my stash. I die cut a W Plus 9 label die and stamped a Sweet Stamp Shop siggie in VersaMark and heat-embossed with white powder.

Here is a shot to show everywhere that is sparkly. I used Brilliance ink to stamp the little stars and nutcracker, then coated the stars with my Sakura metallic glitter gel pen. Sequins from my stash decorate the tree.

CHALLENGES:
1.  Split Coast Stampers Sketch 761 -- sketch shown above
2.  Outlawz Festive Fridays Aug. 23-Sept. 5: Christmas Theme
3.  Outlawz Saturday Paper a la Mode: Hobbies -- Doll-Collecting (read text above for deets)
4.  Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge #83: Song and Dance -- Song - read text above for my song
5.  ABC Christmas September Challenge: S is for Sparkle
6.  Try it on Tuesday: Boys/Girls/All Things Children
7.  Colour Crazy Week 33: AG with Colouring -- ProMarkers
8.  Creative Crafters Challenge #19: AG
9.  Through the Craft Room Door Sept. 3-9: AG
10.  Moo Mania #199: Use a Stamp(s)
11.  I Love ProMarkers #392: Use 3 Layers -- I used 3 matted layers and coloured with ProMarkers.
12.  Stamplorations Summer Mixed Media Challenge: AG with a Stencil
13.  Stamplorations Summer Theme and Sketch Challenge: AG + Stamps

That's it for me and Memory Lane today. Thanks for coming by to see me. My thoughts and prayers are with all in Hurricane Dorian's path. xox

20 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Wow, Aimeslee! Your mum was so talented. That dress and doll must have taken so much time and effort to make- and matching? She must've been the envy of all her friends. It's a lovely tribute to honour her memory with dolls and the talents she obviously loved to share.
Thanks for playing in Try it on Tuesday's Girls & Boys/Children challenge.
Cath x

Cath Wilson said...

PS - Forgot to say I was desperate for a Chatty Cathy (my mum's nickname for me!) but didn't ever get one, so lucky you!

ionabunny said...

Lovely card and a lovely story and song to go with it. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge. Hugz

froebelsternchen said...

Your mum was a talented woman, wow what awonderful dress and even amatching one for the doll. This card is a wonderful tribute to her talent! A gorgeous card, beautiful and it's amazing to see it linked to Moo Mania &More and to Try it on Tuesday! Thank you so much for joining us.
Happy rest of the week Aimeslee.
Susi xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I enjoyed the back story as much as I enjoyed the beautiful card you made. Someone is going to be very lucky who gets this one. I love how you treated the sentiment, too. You always put SO MUCH into your cards, they can be considered collectables themselves.

Rosie said...

A wonderful project

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Meggymay said...

I really enjoyed the story you shared about your mum and your family. memories like that are very special. I love the card you created, it will be treasured by the person you send this to.
Thank you for linking to our theme at Try it on Tuesdays, we appreciate the support you give us when you share your pieces there.
Yvonne xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, what a great blog post! First of all, how cute is your daughter and her doll in matching outfits! Absolutely gorgeous! Your card is wonderful and I am intrigued by your, and your family's, doll collections! Sadly I no longer have any of my childhood dolls. I really enjoyed admiring all the details of your card - it's fabulous!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a lovely post with some great memories! This card is fabulous and I am so pleased that you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Crafting with Darcy said...

I loved reading this, Aimeslee! I also loved my dolls. My first doll that I remember was Tiny Tears or it could have been Betsy Wetsy! Not sure! I also had a Chatty Kathy and Charmin' Chatty and got my first Barbie around the age of 5. She had the bubble hairdo and I loved her! Many Barbies followed that. I didn't have a daughter, so when my granddaughter came along, she got to play with all my Barbies and she had many herself. Last I knew, she had over 30. She doesn't play anymore because she is almost 13, and I miss that. We had lots of fun dressing up the Barbies in the fancy gowns I would buy at craft fairs. My mom made most of my Barbie clothes but they were given to my nieces later and I don't know what happened to them.
My mom was a doll collector too. She had porcelain dolls and Scottish dolls, but her favorite were her Shirley Temple dolls. We had no money to speak of back then, so she literally saved her pennies until she could afford to buy a Shirley Temple doll. Of course, I would buy her those dolls when she had birthdays and Christmas! I loved seeing her excitement.
She is gone now, but I have all of her Shirley Temple dolls. Long story, but my husband had to buy them back at a second hand store when my dad took them there to sell. That is a pretty nice hubby if you ask me!!! Your card is gorgeous and it has brought a lot of memories back for me.
Sorry for writing such a long post, but I know you'll understand!!
Hugs! Darcy

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous card Aimeslee, I love the vintage images! I bet you had so much fun making this card with all of the great memories. Your daughter's dress and doll are beautiful, what a precious photo!
Hugs, Tammy

My name is Erika. said...

What cool idea for a card! I love this. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

Elizabeth Hart said...

Love this card inspired by dolls - how fabulous. Thanks so very much for joining us this time at the Colour Crazy Craft Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

Laurie said...

Wonderful Christmas card and I love the tradition in your family that inspired it. Those are the things that make Christmas so special. Thanks for sharing your wonderful design and story and for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Mrs.B said...

A lovely nostalgic card Aimeslee with many happy memories for you.
What a gorgeous daughter and such a talented Mom, the dress she made is fabulous and how thrilled your daughter looks to wear it, and have a matching doll, happy memories. Thanks for sharing these and the card with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Hugs, Avril xx

Furrbster said...

This is a really great idea - thanks for sharing it with us at I Love Promarkers,

Hugz Tinz

Lindsey said...

Such a great card, and especially meaningful. Well done! Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge!

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation, love the beautiful dresses in the photo of your beautiful daughter! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Angelnorth said...

What a great personal response to the Lost Coast challenge - adorable card with lots of lovely details!

Zw@@n said...

Gorgeous card, Aimeslee. I like the vintage look of it. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Luv, Wilma