Thursday, June 27, 2019

Making A Face

Hi Ho Merry Bloggers, hope your week's been going well. I'm excited because on Sunday, Honey and I are "double-dating" with another couple who are our close friends, driving down the coast a bit to an awesome and very popular fresh seafood restaurant for lunch. I will take a pic of my plate for y'all!

Today, though, I'm interested in another coast - Lost Coast Portal to Creativity's latest challenge 'Face On'. I have around 25 of their stamps, so I have just enough to be able to play but not enough to avoid having to really stretch my imagination sometimes. Which is a good thing I guess but it can feel awkward. Luckily, Gail and the DT are very open-minded, and don't even require we use their stamps. But I like to try to. Anyway, while I have multiple stamps of bodies with faces on them, I wanted just a face, a big head shot stamp, something like that. And all I have is the "face" in this Lost Coast set, Doodles 2 (I added a watermark across the images):

I once used the top left doll on an art journal page about me being a Heyoka spirit. I used the doll next to that one in my recent Learn How To Fly journal page. And I've yet to use the doll at bottom left. I think I have made a card or two with the remaining face, but I never felt comfortable using it, mainly because I just did not have a reference point for use. I eventually did decide I could and would just make that up on my own if I were going to keep them. So, I challenged myself to use that face.

I began with a blank white #10 tag. I stamped the Doodle Doll face stamp with Nocturne VersaFine Clair ink and let dry. (All stamping was done with this ink. I used Nocturne, Tulip Red and Warm Breeze shades.) I then took a The Crafter's Workshop face/hair stencil and although it's face outline was too small for my stamped facial elements, I used the stencil to draw the bottom chin line and one side of the hair, then the other. I free-formed the bangs to hide no brow over the butterfly-tatooed eye lid. I colored her skin, eyes, butterfly tattoo, hair and yellow background with ProMarkers. I used various Sakura gel pens to color her lashes, lips and clock "beauty mark".

 One of the elements of TIOT's Material Girl challenge is to add some material: lace, ribbon, fabric, stitching. Real or Faux. So I stamped and clear-heat-emboss this Deep Red Stamp Vintage Lace Border at the top of the tag. I created a rudimentary mask for her hair before stamping by tracing her hair shape on a piece of masking paper where the lace meets it. Masking on the fly, lol.  It did the job.

 Here's a shot showing the sparkle on everything but her eye. I stamped the Leave Memories words at the bottom and clear-heat-embossed them. I inked around the tag's edges with VersaMagic brown chalk ink.

Here you can see the sparkle in her eye - it makes her look a bit like a cyborg, lol. As if the butterfly tat didn't? After coloring with different green shades of ProMarkers, I took a few different shades of green gel pens and coated eyeball, then used a glitter gel pen over that and on the clock.

As I was creating this, I began to think she might be a great face to use with Steampunk, with up swept hair and a black stovepipe hat. Her facial features definitely look man-made, but I like to think with the sexy hair and strong jawline I gave her, she looks almost human. I do really dig her nose and lips, and her open eye is quite "eye" catching, hehee.

CHALLENGES:
1.  Lost Coast Portal of Creativity Challenge #78: Face On!
2.  Try It On Tuesday: Material Girl
3.  Take A Word: Hot Colours
4.  Sparkles Monthly Challenge #117: No Patterned Paper
5.  Tag Tuesday: Wings
6.  Colour Crazy Week 23: AG with Colouring
7.  TTCRD Anything Goes Challenge for June 25
8.  Crafts Galore Encore #64: Always Anything Goes
9.  Your Scrapbook Place June Always Anything Goes

I hope you enjoyed my face tag and I thank you for visiting me today. Until next time, XOXOX

17 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Aimslee, this is fab! Love your face and all the colours you used for her hair and for the background. It feels bright and positive... a great achievement for you right now ;-) I was just wondering where your name comes from....aimes is obviously French, but maybe it was Aimes-les, meaning 'love them'. It's beautiful, whatever it means.
Thank you so much for playing with us at Try it on Tuesday :-)
Cath x

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous tag! The image is so eye catching and I love the colours you've chosen - beautiful 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant Aimeslee love how you turned the quirky features into a full face.Thank you for joining us at Colour Crazy
Carol DT x

Jolanda's Blog said...

Great face!!! I wish I could draw that.
Thanks for joining our challenge at Colour Crazy Good luck and I hope you’ll join us next time again.
Jolanda
(DT member)

Jackie T said...

Wow this is amazing. Thank you for joining us at Crafts Galore Encore Challenge Blog for challenge 64 which as always is Anything Goes. The sponsor is Vera Lane Studio. Jackie DT

Meggymay said...

You have created a very beautiful lady on your page. SHE has her own unique look and would certainly stand out in a crowd.
Thank tou for linking her to our theme at Try it on Tuesdays.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Lori said...

So very creative, love it! Thank you for joining in on the Lost Coast Designs Portal to Creativity Blog Challenge!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful tag, thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Aimeslee, I LOVE your tag. It is adorable, quirky, fun, and a bit funky (that's a good thing, dear). I think you made the perfect tag for all those challenges.

I had to laugh at the comment you left on my blog post yesterday. You wrote grandchildren. Sorry, dear. I'm not quite old enough to have those children as grandchildren. Also, I've never been married and have never had a child, so that made it even more funny. The children are my late grad school friend's who died two years ago of cancer. I took care of her children until their aunt, who has now legally adopted them, could come take them back to CA. They came to visit me last year, too, and I am so glad they are now here and you can't believe how much they have grown and how incredibly mature and well adjusted they are, especially after the HELL they were put through during the horrible divorce (where the father gave up all parental rights) right before their mother died.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Gorgeous artwork.

ionabunny said...

Cool use of this stamp. You know I never noticed that she had a butterfly eyelid!! Love how you incorporated the stamp into your lovely face. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge. Hugz

Laurie said...

Love this LCD stamp and how you have used it! I have one similar but have never thought about using it this way. Love the hair and the rest of the elements you used for this beautiful lady! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge.

Michele said...

oh well done on this face art! it is stunning! and nice job getting a lot of challenges in! tanks for linking to tag tuesday as well! xo

froebelsternchen said...

Absolutely stunning and most creative Aimeslee! Mixed Media at its best! Thank you for joining Try It On Tuesday - Material Girl ! Happy start of July !

Susi xxx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous tag Aimeslee, love the face and the strong colours you used which makes her a powerful individual.
Hope you had a wonderful weekend with your friends.
Great to see you sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesday. Avril xx

KraftyKoolKat said...

A fantastic creation Aimeslee. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely creation with us over at Sparkles Monthly Challenges.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

My name is Erika. said...

This is amazing. I haven’t pulled out my lost coast stamps in ages and you inspire me for sure. Love the colors. Hope the trip to the coast was a lot of fun. Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs Erik