Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Ring Christmas Bells

Good Tuesday, Blogging Friends! Well, my best-laid plans took a detour. My art journal spread is not finished yet, got a wild hair to try a couple of techniques and that's taking extra time, so in the meantime I was able to finish this Christmas card I'd had in the mill for awhile.

I am also having some really bad pain days which slows me down horribly as I have to sleep more.

  
My 5x7 A7 card was driven by 3 challenges: one for bells at Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas and one for holly at Sparkles Christmas. So I combined them using this sketch which is the current challenge at Jingle Belles.

Supplies:
*  The Paper Cut Kraft and DCWV green card stocks
*  Patterned Papers: Rusty Pickle and The Paper Studio Old World Winter
*  Collaged Bells and Holly Image on tag: Leisure Arts A.T.C. Collection Christmas pad art papers
*  Cuttlebug 5x7 Holly Ribbons Embossing Folder
*  Spell binders Label 4 die
*  Stampin Up Tag Topper punch
*  Stamp: EK Success
*  Stash items: gold glitter enamel dots, Sakura clear gel pen, Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen,            Cosmo Cricket Tiny Apha stickers
*  Inks: Crimson and Warm Grey #3 Promarkers, Ranger Distress Fired Brick, VersaFine Clair Green Oasis
*  Inside sentiment: created in PSE

  

 The first thing I did after choosing my papers and images was to decide on a background and Cuttlebug's 5x7 Holly Ribbons looked awfully busy to me but it was the right size and HEY it had holly on it! I think I have technique-itis on the brain lately because I wanted to do what they are calling Letterpress with an EF. I've done it before but got to wondering what Ranger Distress Fired Brick ink would look like on green card stock. Verdict: it looks cool!

I went overboard as usual on the ink distressing - I so love doing it and that Fired Brick was calling my name with these papers. I also distressed the edges with my Tim tool beforehand. I made my card front sentiment with alpha stickers on a leftover strip of the kraft card stock card base. And I chose the plaid ribbon instead of paper strip and added the 3 gold glitter dots after seeing the latest Thursday Twist challenge at Outlawz.


  
  

Here is the inside of my card and the back of it. I used a Rusty Pickle collaged Christmas paper for the inside and who could resist since there are bells and holly on it! I made my sentiment in PSE, an attempt at the chorus lyrics of Ring, Christmas Bells (4 Merries and a Christmas) plus a line paraphrased from Have a Holly Jolly Christmas song. Oh well, I guess you have live in this brain with me to truly understand, lolol. I like to photograph my card backs with a little of the front showing with it when a card looks truly coordinated like this one, thanks to that green embossed bottom layer. Just for grins, I took a Promarker to the back and colored all the holly berries. :-)

   
As for the bells on my card front, I created a collage from two different sheets, one with the bells  in holly with the berries and one with just holly leaves. I fussy cut my pieces, ran a warm grey Promarker around the white edges to darken them (this helps an image "blend" into what it is collaged onto), and then assembled my piece. After adhering to my homemade tag made of patterned paper and a tag topper punch (the tag is two pieces because I messed up and cut my first one too short, so Punt!), I took my clear gel pen and colored all the berries to make them 3D, then brushed the bell with Wink of Stella to make it glittery (which does not show up well in the photos but it's eye-catching in real life).

I will leave you with a few more views before listing my challenges:


 
Challenges:
1. Jingle Belles JB:19:09 We Wish You a Merry Sketch-mas
2. Sparkles Christmas #100: Let's See Some Holly
3. Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas #436: Anything Christmas Goes + Opt. Bell(s) - I played the option.
4. Winter Wonderland May: Anything But a Square Card - mine is a 5x7 rectangle
5. Outlawz Twisted Thursday Challenge for April 25 - May 8: Anything Goes and the TWIST being - Recipe: 1 ribbon, 2 papers, 3 gems or pearls - I am playing the twist
6. Outlawz Festive Friday Challenge for May 3-16: Christmas Category
7. Crafting from the Heart #242: Always AG
8. IkesWorld Challenge #120: E is for Embossing + AG - I have used dry embossing with a folder and also wet embossing by adding clear gel ink to the holly berries.
9. ABMTTC #91: Always AG
10. CHNPPC May: Always AG with Patterned Paper
11. TTCRD May 7-13 Challenge: Always AG
12. Jo's Scrap Shack #280: Always AG
13. Creative Crafters #15: AG

That's it for me today - off to another doctor's appointment and then back to my art journal spread! Until next time, xoxoxo

15 comments:

Heather said...

This is beautiful!! Love the vintage feel to it and the fabulous detail on the embossed panel!! Thanks for playing with Jo's Scrap Shack.

Crafting with Darcy said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Aimeslee! I really love this card! Traditional but vibrant! A really beautiful piece!

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous vintage style Christmas card, the layers and texture layers look fantastic.
I hope you will be feeling better soon and your pain will be under control.
Yvonne xx

lauren bergold said...

what a beautiful card and a fab take on a bunch of different challenges, especially stephanie's lovely sketch. so pleased you could join our JINGLE BELLES fun! ♥

SmilynStef said...

Love the bells & holly and all of your ink distressing ... so very glad you got Sketch-y with us at Jingle Belles.

Sall said...

Oh wow a vintage feel Christmas card it's gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to join in with our challenge and sharing your creativity with us, I love to see your talent, creativity and imagination at work. I hope to see more of your creativity in the near future. Love 'n' hugs Sall IkesWorld Challenges DT

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely gorgeous Christmas card great Vintage look and layout-love the papers and the letterpress with an EF gave a brilliant result will have to check that technique out-loved your step by step too
Carol x

The Enticing Creation said...

Such a beautiful Christmas card ,love the background texture...thanks for playing on Through the Craft Room Door,hope to see you next challenges

Hugs
Rituparna DT TTCRD

ike said...

WoW - really gorgeous ! I am in love with your holly embossed background. A lovely traditional card.
Thank you for coming to play at IKEsWORLD Challenges
Hugz
IKE =^..^=

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog
FB Fan Page
Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

Suze said...

Everything about this is beautiful. Thank you for joining in the Anything Christmas Goes Challenge with an optional twist of Include a Bell or Bells.

Kath said...

A fabulous card and lots of beautiful details. Thank you for sharing at Sparkles Christmas Challenge.
Kath x

Julie said...

Great use of pattern paper for you holiday card
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Hazel Nuts Pattern Paper Challenge
Julie T

Fiona said...

Such a pretty card - I love the sentiment you've used about the bells - thanks for joining us at Sparkles Christmas Challenge

Mimi said...

WOW, such beautiful embossing on both the front and back of your card, a really striking idea :) :) :) Thank you for joining us this month at IKEsWORLD. Love and hugs Mimi xxxx

Borqna said...

Absolutely gorgeous, bravo Aimeslee!
Thank you for coming to play at IKEsWORLD Challenges.
Expect our new challenge tomorrow with the letter "F"!
Good luck!