Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Painting with Wink of Stella Glitter Pens

Greetings to all of my blogging friends. I wish I could say I'm back to my artistic normal, but I'd be lying if I did. We have made real progress in just 3 weeks -- dad's apartment key was turned in on Sunday -- we made our 3/31 deadline -- we found homes for most of his clothing, furniture, dishes, books, dvd's and chotchkes -- and now, I have hours and hours of finding spaces for what I claimed and brought home -- as well as organizing the many boxes of his paperwork, paying his bills, stopping his income checks and services and closing accounts. There's also the framed photos, albums, bags and files and boxes of pictures. And a memorial interment service to plan. Bottom line as regards my art time: not holding my breath for anything more than occasional play right now.

 
Oh, but I did manage to make this card recently and making it gave me such joy, even though it was for a sad occasion...a sympathy card for my brother-in-law whose stepmom passed.

 
I used the Wednesday sketch from Outlawz Challenges, flipped it vertically and made it into an A2 size. Sketch on the left is original and sketch in middle is the flip. Sketch above on right next to my card is the resize to A2, all done in PSE.

Supplies Used:
Card stocks, soft plastic flower, cotton twill tape ribbon from my Black Hole of Stash
Cuttlebug Asian Koi embossing folder
STAMPS: Clear Dollar, Pink By Design, Papertrey Ink
VersaFine Clair ink
DIES: Spellbinders A2 Distressed Edges (mat layer and sentiment label)
Wink of Stella glitter pens

The recipient is an avid outdoorsman, duck hunter and fisherman. I already had the butter cream colored card blank and the blue textured card stock embossed with the koi pond scene in my stash.

I wanted an organic-looking masculine card, but one that looked like it wasn't thrown together, like I'd put something of me into it, so I thought about coloring the koi and the water ripples. I needed precise coloring on the raised embossed surface, so I narrowed my materials down to colored pencils and my colorants with brush applicators. I had never even heard of opaque coloring with Winks of Stella, so I said hey, let's try it.

I used a yellow, a red, and a white WOS pen. I applied several layers, as it looks as if the color was sinking into the paper every time I added a layer until finally that stopped. The only one I wasn't completely happy with was the white. You must wait until it dries to see the effects and then it is very uneven, just made it hard to apply and I wasn't as thrilled with the final look of the ripples. But, as I always say, live and learn, it's just a card! LOL I added the twill tape for an organic and "guy" touch, a red flower just because.

 
The inside sentiments and the back of the card.

I hope you like my masculine sympathy card half as much as I enjoyed getting into my play room and creating it!

Challenges Joined:
1. Outlawz Wednesday Sketch Challenge March 20th to April 2nd - See Sketch, above
2.  Crafting from the Heart #240: Always AG
3.  LTSCB #120: Male Call
4.  Ike's World Art Challenge #119: D is for DIES/AG
5.  Crafty Creations #387: Always AG
6.  Creative Crafters #14: Always AG
7.  2 Crafty Critter Crazies #25: AG with a Critter
8.  Outlawz Sundays Songs & Rhymes Mar. 24-April 5: Anything Goes -  (I went with the song title)
9.  TTCRD APR.1-7: Always AG
10. Moving Along with the Time #94: For a Man
11. Jo's Scrap Shack #275: Always AG
12. Moo Mania #187: Colourful

That's it for me today. Hoping we all have a good week. Until next time, be blessed! xoxo

12 comments:

Sandra said...

I just love this Aimeslee!! Such a great and creative card!!
Thanks for playing at The Outlawz!!

Meggymay said...

A very thoughtful card, especially when you have been going through difficult times yourself.
I was pleased to read you had managed to get some time in your craft room, it makes us forget for a while what is going on around us.
Take care of yourself
Yvonne xx

Christine said...

Such a fun card! I do love my Wink of Stella pen...glitter adds something special!
Thanks for sharing at Jo's Scrap Shack!
Blessings,
Christine
DT Member
https://withaverygratefulheart.blogspot.com

ike said...

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time :-(
This is a fabulous card and such wonderful colouring.
Thank you for taking the time to play at IKEsWORLD Challenges :-D
Hugz
IKE x

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog
FB Fan Page
Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

Borqna said...

Very beautiful and creative card. Excellent design and lovely colors.
Thank you for coming to play at IKEsWORLD Challenges.
Blessings.

froebelsternchen said...

Aimeslee this is such an uplifitng sympathy card! Beautiful!
Great that you are nearly back to normal, I can imagine how energy - sapping this all was. Take good care of you and my best wishes to get to artsy normality soon again! Thank you very much for joining in at Moo Mania & More again! Much appreciated!
Hugs, Susi

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

My heart breaks for you dear friend. Sending blessings and prayers, and big hugs too.

You managed to create a beautiful card through your hearache.

Bethie

Helen said...

A very peaceful and calming card - I'm sure it was appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your card with us at Jo's Scrap Shack.

Helen x
DT

KT Fit Kitty said...

You still have a lot of work ahead of you. It's amazing what we can accomplish while going through such sadness. I am thinking about you and sending hugs. Your former creativity will come back eventually; be patient with yourself. Your sympathy card is gorgeous and I like the comforting words. Take care of yourself, Aimeslee.

Claudia Martins said...

Gorgeous and delicate design !! So nice to have you with us at TTCRD this week, I hope to see you in our next challenge.
Big hugs !!
Claudia Martins - DT

Loose Stitches said...

Lovely creation! Sorry to hear of the loss. Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx - https://creativecrafterschallenge.blogspot.co.uk/

Mimi said...

It is always so hard to create sympathy cards but you did an awesome job here. Thank you for joining us this month at IKEsWORLD, hugs Mimi xxxx