Saturday, April 20, 2019

A Little Playtime Just For Me

It's very early this Saturday morning, but I wanted to quickly post this 4x6 art I've done and try to get some sleep. I took some time last night to just play with a mixed media technique and some collage.

I began by watching Dani Rogall's YouTube Video HERE. The challenge at her blog this week is to use black gesso with patterns/texture. In her video she used crumbled aluminum kitchen foil adhered to card stock as her base, applied black gesso, then Dylusions spray inks, then white gesso to get a lovely muted opaque background. I decided to try it, but I created my texture and pattern by running my foiled card through my Big Shot using Tim's Wood Planks embossing folder. I then did my background as she instructs in her video.

SUPPLIES:
Black and white gesso
Dylusions inks: Turquoise, Vanilla Custard, Melted Chocolate
Aluminum foil, card stock and patterned paper from my stash
Steinbeck quote and circle stickers from my stash
Washi tapes from my stash
Tim Holtz Chat and Talk stickers and Paper Dolls, Wood Planks Embossing Folder
Black Copic marker to edge card

I love the look you get with this technique, although the next time, I will take better care to keep my ink colors separated more. You apply the white gesso with the pad of your finger and before too long, because the ink reactivates you are rubbing all the colors together as you go. I should have cleaned off my finger periodically, but small point as I do like just fine my result.

Here is the back of the card. I had some very old DCWV chat-type family-themed paper from a 4.5x6.5" stack that I ran through my Xyron and adhered to cover the ragged edges of the foil that is folded over to the back.

With the recent passing of my dad, I am realizing that my family has changed and those of us left must and will adapt because we value being family. Genealogy is one of my hobby passions, so Steinbeck's quote is near and dear. I also chose sticker words to convey a little humor and levity. We're all people and as such imperfect, so the key is to embrace our faults together. By just playing with my materials and then picking the first elements to collage that spoke to me (instead of making it a project to find the perfect elements), I ended up revealing some truths to myself and created some art that says something important and personal about me. Very satisfying. I will frame this and add it to my little 4x6 art collection hanging in our hallway.

CHALLENGES:
1. Sunday Post Card Art: Family
2. Think Monday, Think ATC & More: Use Black Gesso with Pattern/Texture
3. MIUCB #24: Anything Goes + Black & White Plus One Color - I used Turquoise Blue
4. ABMTTC #90: Always AG
5. More Mixed Media April Challenge: AG + Opt. Twist Yellow - I did not take the option and my piece is true mixed media.
6. LTCCB #33: April AG
7. Back To Basics and Beyond #26: Use a Spray - I used 3 Dylusions Spray Inks with gesso to create my background.
8. Crazy 4 Challenges C4C479: Anything But a Card - I made 4x6 art.
9. Jo's Scrap Shack #278: Always AG
10. Crafts Galore Encore #62: April AG

Well, I'm headed down to Sleepy Town now. Thanks always for visiting me and checking out my art. Easter Blessings to you and yours! xoxo



8 comments:

Rachelle Oltean said...

Aimeslee - this is a fantastic mixed media piece! I love the composition and the scrolling sentiment which ties the images together :) Thanks so much for joining us at BBB Challenges! Rachelle / DT

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wowza, Aimes, this is one terrific 4 x 6 art. I love everything about this. By looking at the screen, your background tinfoil is the colour of my livingroom wall. Embossing it was a perfect thing to do. Love the family you have and the quote you so much love on the swirl. Fantastic job my friend--Bethie

Catie Cuddles said...

A lovely piece with a great message.
Thanks for joining us at Back to Basics and Beyond challenge blog. Happy crafting! Catherine x DT

Daniela Rogall said...

Great to see you again 😊
Wonderful cards, thanks for your inspiration at my weekly challenge Think Monday, Think ATC & more.
Have a great time.
xoxo
Dani

Tammy said...

Your card is gorgeous Aimeslee, I love how you created the background and what a awesome curvy sentiment! Thanks for joining us at Back to Basics and Beyond.
Tammy x

Crafting with Darcy said...

Aimeslee, I'm sorry about the passing of your dad. It does put things into perspective when you lose a parent. I love your card with the quote by John Steinbeck! It's a wonderful card and very creative how you made the backside. I love your idea!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Aimslee, thanks for popping over to my blog and leaving such a lovely comment on my Good Friday post. It was a real blessing.
I see you also have recently lost your darling dad as well. Yes it’s certainly a readjustment with both parent now gone and you’re a part of the oldest generation in a family. However all part of God’s plan for us, and May we walk wisely in His way in it all.
I love this card, that background is a cracker, and I popped over and watched that link. It looks wonderful the end results I think you EF was a great touch, the quotes are also as are the four figures it will frame nicey as memorable times.
Hugs Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Heather said...

Very cool!! That background is really fabulous; love the texture! And the sentiment is really beautiful! Thanks for playing with Jo's Scrap Shack.