Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Sketchy Fun with Flowers and Nursery Rhymes

Happy Midweek to you! It's been a week since I last posted. Took a bit of time off from creating cards. It was refreshing to just create something pretty.
 

I made a 4x6" double-sided Spring decoration for my art corner to hang on my clip carousel or stands when it's time. I was inspired by the current sketch from Atlantic Hearts and their collaboration with the Double Trouble Challenge for Flowers, plus Sunday Postcard Art's Nursery Rhymes challenge. Like a Challenge Storm - haha. I FLIPPED THE SKETCH VERTICALLY. This is one side of my piece aka the front side.


  
I've had this collage sheet from Alpha Stamps forever (on left) called Quite Contrary #2, which is about the nursery rhyme Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary. I'VE WATERMARKED IT FOR THEM. The images all so pretty but all seemed way too big to actually use...until now. Keep something long enough, it becomes useful eventually! It's suddenly perfect for this, lol. I spent a little time googling to find what books these vintage prints had been in originally -- I did manage to find the illustration on the right was illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright in 1916's The Real Mother Goose (which had a resurgence of popularity in 1980's. We bought it for our daughter.) Knowing Alpha Stamps, the rest of the images are all from vintage books as there was no shortage of nursery rhyme collections back in the early 20th century, but I didn't devote the hours necessary to hunting them all down.

I used my EVO clear acrylic templates to cut the image down to 3.5x5.5". I took a 4x6" piece of card stock and bordered it with some floral fabric tape from my stash. I edged the image with my Promarkers in two different colors and adhered it, then added some CosmoCricket Tiny Alpha stickers.
Here you can see the glitter on the hat bow.  I used my Wink of Stella Clear glitter brush pen.

The back side of my piece is where I did most of the work. Again, I took this image and cut it down to 3.5x5.5", used some paper tape from my stash to border my base, then adhered my image after edging it with my markers.   
I then took my Winks of Stella glitter pens in clear, yellow, berry red, white and purple, and proceeded to color on the image...her dress and scarf and hat in clear, yellow and white, the bricks with red and white, the ground with white, and the flower maids in yellow, berry red and purple. Here you can see the glittery sheen held to the light just right.


More pics trying to show the glittery sheen coming off of this piece....
Once the glitter dried, I took some green vine ribbon I had in my stash that I bought recently and glued it along each side. I added some paper flowers in coordinating colors and put a rhinestone in the center of each for more bling. I then added some more of the alpha stickers for my sentiment. At first this image was not my favorite, but after working it I have to say I quite like her attitude here. She does seem like a contrarian, but a really good and disciplined gardener. Love how she is sizing up her rows here with her pretty maids looking on. 

I enjoyed creating my little diversion and I hope you enjoyed looking at it. 

Challenges Joined:

  
5. Sparkles Monthly #112: New Year, New Stash (my vine ribbon and a few of my Winks of Stella are all newly purchased)
7. Art Journal Journey: The Colour YELLOW (while this is not a journal page per se, there is so much luscious yellow on the back side of my piece and I do keep this in a generously sized photo album until I take out to display, and that's a journal of sorts. The tape borders and vine ribbon overlap a bit enough to make this piece technically measure 4.2" x 6.2").

Well, that's it for me this time. Thank you for dropping by as always, and here's to a great rest of the week!

Until next time, 
XOXOXO





16 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

So beautiful - the frontside and the backside Aimeslee and fits the AJJ topic just perfectly ! Thank you very much for joining us! Wishing you a happy weekend ahead! Big hugs, Susi

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Very nice art decorations there Aimes! I love the vintage feel.

Rike said...

What a lovely picture - and you gave it the most beautiful frame and decoration! I am glad you used some yellows :))
Thank you so much for linking this beauty to my theme "Yellow" at Art Journal Journey!
Wish you a happy rest of the week! Rike

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Great job in blinging up your beautiful vintage card and I didn't really see the sketch until you said it was turned upside down...unique interpretation. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #302.

Meggymay said...

Both the from
nt and the back of your project look beautiful, it sounds like you enjoyed creating this piece.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely on both sides!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so glad I can finally leave you comments, but sorry it took me so long to get here. This is a rare beauty, and I am very impressed with it. I was also pleased that you took our size constrictions into consideration. I adore the sparkle and the beauty of this. Thank you for sharing it with us using Rike's yellow theme at Art Journal Journey.

Mandy Chilvers said...

wow fantastic! so glad to see you playing along with sunday postcard art

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are beautiful!

chrissie said...

All very beautiful

Love Chrissie xx

Golden Goddess Designs said...

lovely card! thank you for sharing with us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge. way to double up with Double Trouble too! Good luck!

Alicia

Christine said...

A very sweet vintage image!
Thank you for playing along with the Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge! Blessings,
Christine
DT Member
https://withaverygratefulheart.blogspot.com

Brandi said...

Very Pretty! Thanks for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (AHSC).

Brandi R.
DT member AHSC
crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca

Melanie R said...

Beautiful! Your vintage images are stunning. Thank you for taking part in our challenge at Double Trouble.

TRACEY MO said...

What a pretty project.

Thanks for joining us at sparkles
Dt tracey

Cazro said...

Beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing at Sparkles Monthly Challenges. Caz DT.