Thursday, October 4, 2018

Fall Fantasy Finished: An Update

Greetings! I guess this is a #tbt blog-style in a way. I wanted to share what I'd done to my Fall Fantasy art journal spread since I posted the loose leaf version of it HERE a couple of days ago.

I feel much better now lol. I'm the type who when I make something and there's just something missing or off, I obsess about it until I figure out how to work it or rework it until I'm happy. I'd wanted to get this into my journal and fix those tree leaves at the top of the page. 

First thing I did was cut my loose sheet down the middle. 

Then I decided what page spread in my journal, but I did not like each side being a different orange color and the masking tape I'd laid down to cover the holes needed paint.

So I chose this very bold orange craft paint for the spread.

Before adhering the pages, I used a black Sakura solid paint marker and ran it around each page, smudging it before it dried with a Fantastick tool. The Sakura marker are solid paint in a stick and are really for outside industrial marking. They go on almost like oil pastel, but dry in under 10 minutes. For someone who love oil pastels but can't stand how they never dry making them finicky to work with, I think I found a new favorite supply! I'd bought 5 of them in various colors to try them out.

The original leaves bugged me to no end and I wanted to cover them with leaves punched out of alcohol inked sheets I'd made. So I took my leaf punch and went to town punching. I ended up completely covering up the original leaves and am much more happy. Why did I not do this to begin with is beyond me. I had attached the original leaves with glue dots (as I likewise did with the new leaves) and ended up having to pull up the ones at the tree bases, which left a few sticky spots. I took some Cinnamon Stickles and glitter-glued right over those spots.

I really really like these new leaves. They look more realistic (for an fantasy abstract) and they go with the larger leaves across the bottom.

Doesn't this look much better? I think so!

Since I entered challenges with the loose-leaf version, I'm going to share this updated version only with my friends at Art Journal Journey where the new theme for October is Creature Comforts, hosted by the lovely Linda who instructs us: "You can go so many ways with this theme such as Halloween, rich autumn colors, whatever brings you comfort." I'll go with rich Autumn colors, but honestly, looking at my spread makes me feel all warm and cozy and brings me comfort. We don't play for prizes or winners at AJJ, and other artists have shared old work, so I feel comfortable (there it is again haha) sharing this re-worked piece there. And I always like to participate there when I can.

That's it for me today. Thanks so much for stopping by!
I wish you all a wonderful weekend with plenty of inky or painterly art time.
xoxo






No comments: