Monday, March 5, 2012

rOSES AND pOPPIES

I received an email or two requesting to see my original sketch of the rose I shared the other day. Here it is, and feel free to print it and color it if you want...my gift to you!
It is always a good idea to scan or photog the phases of your work. It is hard to remember to do, though. So, I try to ALWAYS scan the bare sketch...I tell myself that I never know when I might need to print it out to try again, in case I totally botch the painting/coloring part. This does seems to help me get past the freeze-up I feel when I am supposed to begin to color a sketch. That freeze-up of fear is problematic for me...
Well, after sleeping on it and re-reading my first watercoloring blog post, I am refreshed and determined anew to do this watercolor sketching! BUT, it will be on my terms...my style...my way. Although I will definitely keep trying to interest myself in painting realistic shapes with only a wet brush, I have realized that my STYLE of creating is controlled, whimsical, bold, rudimentary....Mexican? Honestly, most of the time when someone asks me to describe my painting style, I think of the bold, simple, colorful paintings that Mexican artists are known for. Is that a style? Does it have a name? I wish I knew! Hoping that my blogging friend  Donna (who lives there), might weigh in and help me out with some names I can google and learn about. Please enlighten me, oh Donna, oh Donna (ya singing it yet? I am! lol)
Here's my latest piece. I must give credit to my blogging friend, Pat, whose beautiful Poppies art inspired me to try to copy her. Click on that link and you will soon see that there was no copying whatsoever going on, sadly. My style is what I'm stuck with. Might as well embrace it, and so I will. BUT, I would love to be able to paint with my brush like Pat. Just sayin'...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, the rose sketch is lovely. I have such a hard time with roses. They always look like their confused. Yours is right on line! Also like your look alike poppies. I say go with your heart on the strong colors from Mexico.
I took a look at Donna's site and it had my heart racing. The colors are beautiful! I wish I had the nerve. I think you do; go for it.
You are too kind about my painting. I seem to have happy accidents when I "let go". Thanks for the mention on your blog. It is so great that we all have our own style, specific to US. Happy "bright" painting.

teri said...

I know exactly what you mean by Mexican style. I love that, too. So nice of you to share your flower!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

what a beautiful flower! I loved reading some of your goals here on your blog! Have a wonderful weekend!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Note: This post is entered in the Creative Every Day Challenge for March 5-11.