Friday, June 24, 2011

Strips and scraps

I'm on a bit of a roll here now with the old blogs. I'm in the midst of taking that Stacy Julian Finding Photo Freedom class over at BPS (see my sidebar for the clickable logo if you want), and it has forced me to organize my art photos into their little folders on my hard drive. Apparently, getting organized does wonders for my blogging!

I actually spent some time making an atc and a greeting card using the Herringbone Technique that I learned in my Technique Junkies newsletter. This uses strips of paper to form a pattern (like you might see with wood floor planks), and is a great way to use color-coordinated paper scraps.

I first made this card for one of my nieces, using the technique for the background layer. I had some coordinated My Mind's Eye scraps laying around, so they were fair game.

Here is an in-progress shot. This was my first time to do it and it took me forever. Not unpleasant, though. Luckily, I wasn't in a hurry, so I probably took more time being leisurely, I guess.

Here's a scan of the finished front. I fished around in my elements binder and found some of the matching pieces that came kitted with the paper. I also found some oversized chipboard brackets in my drawers and painted two red. Loved that I had a shade of Making Memories paint that matched exactly. Overall, a rather handsome and colorful card, if I do say so myself.

 I have been meaning to start playing in the Paper Traders yahoo group (see sidebar) monthly atc lottery again, mostly to get back into participating with those gorgeous girls. And I wanted to keep Herringboning, so I fashioned an idea with the technique pattern and a journey of some sort. On the atc shown above, I painted and inked on top of the technique background before adding the packing tape transfer of the little Asian girl and text strips. Then, more paint and ink until it look haunting and grungy enough.

I think this technique makes a great look with coordinated colors. I want to try it next time with not-so-coordinated papers, and see how that looks. I now know that I can always cover it with inks or paints if the look ain't so hot. winkwink