Thursday, February 3, 2011

Card show

I went ahead and decided to post a blog entry this morning -- it might be my only chance for the next few days, as Texas is experiencing rolling power blackouts plus we are fixing to get an ice/sleet/snow incident today and tomorrow. I'd be excited, except that we had the blackouts yesterday in dry cold weather under freezing and it was no fun at all. Anyhoo, I did manage to make a couple of cards this week instead of finishing my playroom furniture moving, but loved ones had birthdays regardless of the weather and my organization goals.

Before we get to the cards, here is a shot of the embroidery on one of my winter tunics (ultrasuede and very cozy, also fully lined with a satiny blend):
I channel a little Davy Crockett when I wear it, winkwink.

Now to the cards. First, a birthday card for a sister-in-law, using a sketch from Mojo Monday:
Birthday sketch card #2
Inside sentiment: "Seize the Cupcake!" That doily was originally bright white. I "creamed" it up with a Copic marker. (Coloring paper to match with Copics has become my new secret weapon.)

Thought you might want to see a bit of what I started out with:

A brother-in-law also has a birthday upcoming, so I went ahead and made his card. Using a sketch from Card Patterns (their 100th sketch!), this card also met the challenge over at Crop Stop's blog to use 2 different dry embossing methods:
Birthday sketch card

I used the CuttleBug Diamonds in the Rough folder on the base paper. Then I used my Scor-Pal on the midnight blue background strips to edge them.  And the green mat on the top layer? A piece of white cardstock colored green with Copics. See, I struck again! The photo sure was hard to take. This was shot outside in the middle of afternoon, that's how overcast and cloudy it was...and will be today. Brrr.

In between the blackouts yesterday, I managed to gather most of my January photos into one folder and I noticed several that I'd taken of everyday life that I meant to upload to the blog but didn't.

A little group photo of Missy's stuffed animals that I finally gave to a local shelter (except for the Raggedy Anne and the littlest fairies and bears, which I kept...and I wanted to keep the frog handpuppet, too, but didn't):


The Hubster matched me bag for bag with some oldies from his closet cave:

Here's an ode to my dual obsession with coffee and hot chocolate --

in my other new set of mugs:
These are a bit smaller but I think I like the way they feel in the hand even more than the houndstooth mugs.

Well, enough for now. Better post this while I still have electricity! Lately, I'm loving lurking at Anastasia's blog, Documenting Life, check her out for some journaling inspiro.