Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hip and offbeat

(greeting card -- front, inside and back -- created by me, using Bazzill card stock, Gin X papers, Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous stamps, Leave Memories XO stamp on inside background, Marah Johnson for CI bird adhered in bottlecap with Diamond Glaze and gel Passion sentiment embellie, Spellbinders heart and scalloped heart dies, wide vintage lace from my stash, Doodlebug brads)

Do you think it's the weather that makes me want to fully clothe my cards lately?

Last month, I had to rely on a previously-done piece to be in the GPP street team and I didn't want to repeat that this month, so when I noticed that the inside of my card looked a little too open, I thought to use my Leave Memories XO stamp as a background element. February's GPP crusade is to use the letters of love, x's and o's in a background.

And I think it really adds a lot to it. It's sorta hot and trendy right now to stamp on patterned paper. And if you think about it, you could do this to make paper you have fit your theme more, or coordinate two diverse elements by combining one or both in a background similar to mine.

So, I'm hoping to be able to get a journal page background done by month's end but if I don't, at least I've tried in some way with what art I'm doing. This is one reason why I love GPP so much. Michelle and the team are all very open to adaptation, so I really try to keep participating. I also enjoy checking out the other team members' crusade pieces. (On the GPP page, top left of sidebar under the music controls, click on each name and it opens in a new window.)

I was really happy with how my bottlecap came out. I first flattened it with my Big Red Sizzix machine, then I chose a round bird image that fit perfectly into the cap. It was a sticker so I just adhered it. Then, I took my Diamond Glaze and a toothpick, and I very gingerly and delicately poured a bit into / onto the cap, just enough to think it might be too much maybe. Then, I used the toothpick to nudge the floating glue around until it was all evenly applied and even on top. Then, I put it on a piece of wax paper and left it to dry overnight. And voila, rock-hard and ready to roll. I used a piece of foam tape to adhere to the card front.

This card is for our wonderful daughter Missy and I must be getting sentimental for turning it into an inspirational theme. I cannot even begin to convey how proud of her I am, or how much I am in awe of her. She's at a really neat time in her life but a pretty stressful one, too. She graduates from college in a little over 3 months and so that might help make more sense of my sentiments on her card. I also included a nice little monetary gift, so I'm really hoping she likes it. I know she will dig the little Chaplinesque silhouette I stamped, and she has liked the MJ embellies in the past.

I'll let you know if I bombed or not on the Hip and Offbeat theme. Missy is a unique blend of tastes...not real easy to please. I feel pretty good that at least I passed and that's fine with me. :-))

15 comments:

jillconyers said...

I think Missy will love your Hip and Offbeat. What you did with the bottle cap is perfect. I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 (or 10) around here somewhere to play with.

The best of luck to Missy as a big part of her life comes to a rewarding end.

michelle ward said...

Aimeslee, beautiful card! So many layers, and lots of love. I think the xo is a perfect element. Thanks for sharing with the team, and for your own clever interpretation of using *love letters*.

Imelda said...

I like your use of the xo's in your card.

Imelda said...

I like your use of the xo's in your card.

jgr said...

Hi Aimeslee,
Your 'Love Letters' are gorgeous! I love your idea of making a patterned background, too. Also,
thank you for the comment(s).

Dianne Adams said...

I love what you did with the bottle cap! It is a piece of art in itself.

goudenregen said...

Beautiful your card and how surprising what you can do with a bottle cap. I like to try that!

Anonymous said...

WOW this is so neat! I love the bottle cap!

Jackie Wood said...

A beautiful card, love your bottle cap!

Dawn said...

that is an amazing card, i could never do such a thing. i agree, the bottle cap is very cool.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Beautiful card and I love, love that bottle cap! tell me more... its just perfect!

Anonymous said...

I was moved to read about you being proud of your daughter - I don't hear enough of that from parents around me. Fabulous card too, love hearing how you made the bottle top embellishment.

Janet said...

Beautiful card....and what nice things you had to say about your daughter. I'm sure she will like the card.

Marilyn said...

Great card. The incorporation of the challenge is really perfect!

Susan Sager Brown said...

The X and O stamping is the perfect element for this card!! really a great idea to stamp on scrapbook paper isn't it?? I've taken to doing transfer on top of them to, you can really make it "your own". It's so fun to play with the GPP team isn;t it!! xoSusan