Sunday, January 18, 2009

new endeavors


The brunt of my tax business sale paperwork is done now. I knew that my blogging needed to start again, so I looked at what areas of art play I wanted to immediately persue.

I've been admiring all the eye candy of art journaling for awhile now. I even took a shamefully few baby steps in it last year, but I couldn't find a hook in it for me to have a passion for doing it. I love seeing that passion in others' pages, though. So, I was spending a lot of time looking, but not touching, :-)

Well, an attempt must be made to break me of that! So, I decided to join a few classes, learn on-the-job in a group, etc. My first decision was to join Composition Art Journals yahoo group. Missy loveloves those hardback notebook paper books, always has. Consequently, I have a stash of them. The thin paper is a limitation, but I am playing around with different mediums and techniques to find what works best for me. And it's been fun. I love the feel of those little books. I also love my Moleskine, but the two are not comparable, in my opine.

Here's my first page that sat around for nearly 2 weeks until I felt comfortable adding the journaling. It's hard sometimes to loosen up my anal-ity. I have to take baby steps. :-)))



When I saw the porch photo in a Lowes ad, I just connected with it. I wanted one, lol. Anyway, I scanned it into my Paint Shop Pro and did the watercolor effect on it. Printed it out and then painted around it.

I've given the compo-book the theme of an *almost daily* daily journal. I figure that a daily just sets me up to fail. I need the vagueness that *almost* implies. I also treat it like it's no-fail. If I want to scrapbook in it, I can. If that is where my creativity feels safe that day, like Randy in a Christmas Story, in the kitchen cupboard, that's where it can play.

Something else I wanted to consider trying to learn was how collagists get the depth in their backgrounds. Pam Carriker is an artist whose work I love, and so I signed up for a 5-week workshop she's teaching.

The great thing is, it's been stressful but great. The bad news is, I cannot share any of it (as its her proprietary method). But we have a class group on Flickr, so all my classwork is uploaded to my Flickr account first, if you want to see it. :-)

I also bought some books and some Pitt pens and markers to teach myself Calligraphy. I may have to take a class to force me to learn it, lol. So we'll see how that goes. Haven't gotten into it yet.

And, I need to scrapbook some pages for my mom's purse album I am making her. 2Peas is offering a deal through 1/31 where if you upload 20 new creations you get a $20 store credit. Even though I can't show those here either (until after I spend that credit, hehe), money talks! If any of you who are into scrapping have your mojo on, that's a great deal.

Looks like my compo-book pages will be all I can show here for awhile, so I will spread them out, hehe. More laterz!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Boy, you've been keeping yourself busy! It's hard not to share pages, isn't it? Here's hoping, though, that you're learnign lots, and most importantly, what you'd like to learn. I love, love, love creating depth on my pages. Composition Art Journals is a very friendly group. I'm a member although I haven't done anything with it in a long time. If you're not quite ready for journaling your thoughts, just begin to paint and prep pages. And, remember, you can always paint back over your words, glue paper over them, or put paint over them. I've done al of the above!