Monday, June 24, 2024

Secret Garden 4X6 Art Journaling

 Happy new week to everyone.
This is my homage to Frances Hogson Burnett's The Secret Garden, which I read when I was 12 and was one of the first books that made a big impression on me. I really related to Mary and I loved the idea of a secret place. I finally got to use the sentiment stamps I'd bought because they reminded me of the book and I used a climbing roses stamp like the flowers in the garden.
 
Okay, I did know that some of Tim's Layering Stencils fit his Mixed Media Thinlit dies and I knew that the Mosaic one is an almost perfect fit, so I decided to try it. In the above photo left, I have the die laying over the stencil. I ink blended 2 panels, trimmed the top one down 1/4" and stenciled on it with Distress Inks and the Mosaic stencil.
Then I die cut the panel and you can see, it's almost 100% a perfect fit.
I LOVE THAT!
I wanted to use a book page from the book, but mine is 300 miles away at my daughter's (I handed down my copy to her and she kept it). So, I got her to scan a page and email it to me and I was able to resize it for my project and print it out to use. I printed it twice, then on each stamped the roses and colored them with Tombow markers, fussy cutting the one that lays on top of the die cut stencil.
It really makes me happy that this turned out so pretty and that I was able to a page from the book. I am also happy that I remembered I had a stamp that is a quote from the book!
The heat embossing on the Stamplorations and Leave Memories sentiments, stamped with Charming Pink VF Clair ink and embossed with clear powder.
And a little peek into the "secret garden" behind the die cut stencil.
Thanks for visiting and enjoy your day!
XOX

CHALLENGE LINK UPS:
I heat embossed the sentiments
On this make, I had a sentiment stamp that was a quote from the book, so I just HAD to use it!
I also had a stamp of the words secret garden, so it would be silly NOT to use them all!
Color pink and children (book) inspired
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival

33 comments:

Darlene said...

Beautifully crafted my friend! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our STENCIL FUN & Four Seasons challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous card
My card is HERE

Much♡love

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous card and wonderful memories of the Secret Garden. I think we all loved that story! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

María said...

This art journaling is awesome. It's been a great idea to use the stencil and the die together. And those roses on the page are fantastic. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.

wienerhoneymooners said...

LOVE the bursts of vibrant colors and gorgeous pink blooms!! Great details and colors! Thanks so much for join us at the Stay Crafty Challenge with a Blog Named Hero!!

peggy gatto said...

This is just so fun with all the layers, thanks for playing

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great piece you made and such a pretty way to use a book page. I love that mosaic die. I haven't seen that one, but it adds a lot of depth to your page. I've never read A Secret Garden, but I saw a film based on that story a few times when my daughter was younger. Thanks for joining both Matilde's challenge at AJJ and also our book challenge at TIOT. hugs-Erika

Alyson Mayo said...

I love everything about this! The stencil with the die cut - everything fits perfectly together. Great representation of the novel :)

craftytrog said...

Absolutely gorgeous xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a clever, inspirational and beautiful card Aimes. I love how you used the book as your inspiration. I love the roses on the book too. Thanks for the tip on the birthday reminders. Much appreciated. x

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat
https://creativeinspirationchallenges.

Anita said...

Gotta admire your dedication to being inspired by this book, Aimeslee--obtaining a scanned page copy from your daughter and all! Love how it has turned out, and your use of the almost-matching die was brilliant! xo

theras kartenblog said...

That´s a wonderful project. I'm thrilled to bits.
Thanks for playing along with us at Nachteulen Challenge.
Good luck and all the best!
Ilse (thera)

Elaine Stark said...

I love the bold colours and lovely background. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine

Arlene said...

How clever. A beauty. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas this month.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and love how you used inspiration/quote and an actual page from the book,love the beautiful roses.Thank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles.
Carol DT x

Colleen said...

I just love how your recycled paper to stamp your images and created a beautiful collage! The ink blending is incredible!

Donna Walls said...

Wow, great design and I like all the elements and textures. Thanks for inspiring us with your lovely card at The Inspiration Station and Paper Funday Challenges.
Donna xx
Inspiration Station Challenges
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenges

Melanie Hungerford said...

How gorgeous, the colors are really pretty together. I never knew that some of Tim's dies and stencils fit together, that combination turned out great! Thanks for sharing with us at the Paper Funday Challenge.

Twórcze pasje Danki said...

Cute project. Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.
Hugs
Danka
Twórcze pasje Danki {My Blog}

Lisa said...

Your card is a beautiful tribute to The Secret Garden, capturing the essence of Frances Hodgson Burnett's beloved story. The use of Tim Holtz's Layering Stencils and Mixed Media Thinlit dies with the Mosaic stencil is ingenious, creating a stunning background that complements the theme perfectly. The addition of the scanned book page and stamped roses, colored with Tombow markers, adds a nostalgic and personal touch, making this project a true labor of love and creativity.

Maria Nicotra Tinyworks said...

Thank you for sharing with us over at Star Stampz Challenge Blog Dt Maria

BreAnn L. said...

I love this so much! 😍😍

Michele said...

aimeslee this is just lovely! xo

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic artwork.

Bonnie Lynn said...

Ok, this one is my favorite! Way to pack the WOW punch Aimes. I think I'm going to have to track down that stencil and dies.

Barb said...

I love your Secret Garden artwork - fabulous job! Your explanations and photos of the materials you used is great, too. And your text is spot on - our world IS a garden! 😊

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous art journal page, I love the stencil as a die and the roses are just beautiful on the book pages,beautiful...

Luv CHRISSYxx

Deanne Saunders said...

Lovely card!!! Thanks so much for participating in my HALLOWEEN AND OTHER OCCASIONS challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Cindy McMath said...

Beautiful card!

Deanne Saunders said...

Me again!!! And thanks so much for participating in our STAR STAMPZ challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Cindy C. said...

So beautifully done! Thanks for linking up to our June challenge gallery at Die Cut Divas.

Ellibelle said...

Lots of fabulous details on this pretty card!
Thank you so much for playing along at "I spy with my little eye"!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner