Wednesday, July 7, 2021

A Mermazing Birthday

 Hello, there! Hope you are all doing well. With Feedburner going away, I've been adding to follow.it all the blogs I subscribe to via email and then unsubbing from Feedburner. (It's over 100 so far and counting.) Plus, I chose now to computerize my 7 pages of challenge spreadsheets I'd been keeping manually. So, I feel like I'm in the middle of a big old mess! lol I'll get through it fine and can actually see light at the tunnel's end, but because of all this paperwork I haven't made anything in almost a week! So, I thought I'd take time out to post a card I made using The Paper Shelter's Enchanted Ocean mermaid. I started it intending to enter it in their challenge last week, but the deadline slipped right past me and I got lucky that it qualifies for this week's challenge.
This is a birthday card for a very special person: our darling daughter! Her birthday is today, July 7th. As a child, she loved Disney's The Little Mermaid and I thought I'd do something reminiscent of that  this year, but using a more grown-up mermaid. I was gifted the adorable Inkadinkado fish stamps and have finally used for first time now. I think they are perfect for my underwater scene. 
   
First things first: layout design courtesy of SplitCoastStampers Sketch SC744, which I resized in PSE to half-sheet size (5.5x8.5"). I wanted to go big this year, lol. 
My card really began with this focal background piece on black card using Carabelle's Sea Floor art mask stencil and Distress Oxides. I used Pixie stencil spray to adhere the stencil and as I may have mentioned before it sometimes leaves the surface sticky where it was adhered. So, really without thinking, I quickly removed the stencil once I'd laid down several layers of Oxides and covered the entire surface with clear embossing powder and melted it. I love the glossy look of the water and the black silhouette! I rounded the bottom corners using my Cropadile Chomper tool but I ended up covering them up with other elements. 😁
I built the card on a Recollections 110# heavyweight card base, a navy SU card base mat and a piece of very old Flair 12x12" patterned scrapbook paper. I added the DCWV dotted foil card (using an MFT Making Waves die on the top piece) and printed out sentiments from Digi Doodle Studios Mermaid Sentiments digital set. The top sentiment's second line is hand-stamped using Avery Elle and unknown stash stamps. I colored the mermaid, fish and sentiments with Promarkers and did some pointillism doodling on the sentiments; fussy cut them all out, outlined them and adhered, arranging a few leftover Whimsy Build An Ocean die cuts I'd previously colored with Smooch inks (which give off a nice shimmer). I added a few touches here and there with a metallic gel pen.
On the inside, I wanted to decorate as well since it was our daughter's card. So on the left side, I hand-stamped a circular Inkylicious Splatter Background with Versafine Clair Warm Breeze ink. Over that I added a hand-stamped Sheena Sea View mermaid scene and sentiment in Clair Nocturne,  colored with Promarkers and cut with deco scissors. On the right side, I printed out more Digi Doodle mermaid sentiments in a black frame, adding some doodled tails around it and adding some color to the words. The bottom sentiment was hand stamped and was in a gifted stamp set in unmarked packaging, so I'd love to know who made it.
For the back I pulled out more of my Scrapworks fish patterned paper that I have several sheets of. It had the blues I was working with. It's matted with more navy SU card and a Lawn Fawn siggie stamped directly on the pattern.

 
Close-ups to show the shimmer, shine, doodles and dots. Love how the embossed stenciling shines. Also love that fish paper!
And a final view. I thank you for visiting and hope you are having a great week. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who are and will be impacted by Tropical Storm Elsa, XOX πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

MY CHALLENGES PLAYLIST:
4.   TTCRD 7/6-7/13: AG -- #1/2
5.   MAWTT #132: Cool It Down -- #1/3  
7.   Happy Little Stampers July Stencil Challenge: AG -- Used Carabelle's Sea Floor stencil  
8.   Country View July Challenge: Use A Stencil (or Two) -- Used Carabelle's Sea Floor stencil
11. Cute Card Thursday #690: AG + Opt. Summer -- Option played! And used Whimsy Build An Ocean dies
13. Scrapping4Fun #195: AG + Opt. Doodling -- #1/3 I doodle-dotted on the front sentiments
14. Colour Crazy Craft Challenge Week 25: AAG with Colouring -- #1/2  Coloured imgs and sentiments with Promarkers; ocean life die cuts with Smooch Ink
15. We Love 2 Create #7: Anything Mixed Media Goes -- I used different (alcohol, pigment, archival inks, embossing powder, stenciled, painted 3D elements and different paper textures.
18. More Mixed Media July: AAG + Opt. Pastels -- AG (I used some pastels but not strictly) 
20. Daisy Chain Challenge #54: Use Dies and/or Stencils -- I've used both: Carabelle stencil and Whimsy dies

31 comments:

brenda said...

A fun and colourful Ocean creation, many thanks for joining in with our 'Sun, Sea and Sand' theme at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Nannieflash said...

Fabulous image for our theme this week, love your colour choice to. Thanks for joining us at TPS, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxxxxx

R's Rue said...

This card makes me so happy. Well done my friend. Hope your day is wonderful.

Linby said...

A lovely grown up mermaid for your daughter and she looks at home on your lovely card. Thanks so much for joining in with my theme at Allsorts this week.

Scrapping4funChallenges said...

Beautiful card,
Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges
Rachelle DT
https://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com
https://rochelliescreations.blogspot.com

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Well it's almost the weekend and hopefully you can get back into your art room.

Happy Birthday to your daughter. What an outstanding card full of small details. The close ups show the nice ink edging and beautiful colouring. The mermaid and fish are so very cute.

ahlers5 said...

Wow, that black background piece is just amazing! I love the shine on it. Beautiful card. Your daughter is sure to love it..

coldwaters2 said...

This is one absolutely gorgeous creation what a wonderful colourful scene you have created it looks fantastic, thank you for joining our challenge at ALLSORTS this week
hugs
lorraine x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A beautiful card both inside and out with lots of gorgeous details too. Thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.
Lorraine

Monica C. said...

What a fun card, Aimeslee! I always love all the detail that you add to your cards and this one is no exception.
I am interested to see that you also use the Recollections 110# cardstock for your cardbase. I recently saw a discussion on Facebook that it is not exactly letter size and that it folds badly to make skew A2 sized cards. I have never had that issue, have you?
Hugs Monica

Sandra Wright. said...

Hello Aimeslee, I do hope you are keeping well.
I am loving your daughter's card, I love that you have added an images on teh inside too, I think doing that makes it more personal.
Thank you for joining our challenge at More Mixed Media.
I've not crafted much, just keeping on top of my design team projects, I have skipped Sunday Postcard Art for the last few weeks, so I must get my head in gear and join in with their challenges again.
Take care my friend.xx

Lisa xx said...

My daughter also is a Little Mermaid fan, this card is such a lovely nod in that direction! Gorgeous card and I can really appreciate the care and work that has gone into this xx

Thank you so much for joining us at Passion for Markers

Nat said...

Fabulous under water scene and I love those cute fish! Thank you for entering my 'Animals' challenge at PFM
Natx

Monika Gulyas said...

Sweet birthday card!!! I love the stencilled underwater background!!! Thank you for joining the July challenge of the Country View Challenges!

Dawn Frost said...

Beautiful card, inside and out! Thanks for joining Colour Crazy challenges, good luck! Dawn Colour Crazy DT

Christine Cyr said...

Beautiful card thank you for joining us at TPS
Christine DT

craftytrog said...

A beautiful card Aimeslee! xx

Irmelin Eriksson said...

Beautiful card. The background is so stunning and my favorite part. Thanks for joining us this month at We Love 2 Create. Hugs from DT-Irre

Vickie Y said...

Adorable image and card! Thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters.

Rain said...

What a beautiful card Aimeslee! I love the detail! :) Oh feedburner...I don't know what to do about that. I need to figure some other thing out, like blog lovin' or some other follow by email gadget. Haven't found the time!!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Aimeslee, you've done it again, your daughter will love this fabulous card, with so many of the wonderful details to make it really special. Great images and love the sentiments on the front and inside.
Fabulous work again.
I hope Arthur is behaving himself?
Faith x

Kristine said...

Wow, what a great card Aimslee! Love that you decorate inside and back too, it all looks fabby 😊

Darlene said...

Holy Moly ... this is AWESOME!
Everything about this card is fabulous ... inside and out! LOVE that background you created initially for the front of your card! SO SO FUN!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Crafty KJ said...

Love this bright and colourful card! Great images and the sentiment is fab too! Thanks so much for sharing at Passion for Markers this week. Hugs, Karen x

Marie Bingaman said...

Happy belated birthday to your daughter! I know that she appreciated her grown-up mermaid card from her momma. That puffer fish is so cute! Thanks for playing along with us at 2CCC, and good luck! :)

~Marie B -DT

Jane Savage said...

Glorious underwater themed card! Love it!
Thank you for joining us this month at We Love 2 Create With Polkadoodles! Jane (DT) Paper, Pencils & Pretty Things xxx

Jane said...

Such a pretty and detailed card. I do love mermaids! Thanks for joining our July use a stencil or 2 challenge over at Country View xx

Craftyfield said...

LOvely card, so much work! Thanks for sharing with us at Country View Challenges!

Susan Renshaw said...

Lovely scene!
Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
Susan
DT for Stencil Challenge
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

Nandini said...

So pretty! I love the cute images. Great to see you in the HLS Stencils Challenge. Hope you will join us this month too! Nandini, DT

cohenna said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for joining with ust at Daisy Chain Challenges this time and good luck :)