Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Cact-Us Love

Hello again! This is my second post for June 1st. Go HERE if you are looking for my Love to Craft design team/Outlawz guest design make (or scroll down to the post below this one).

Honey and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary this past weekend and for me, the challenge is always to make a card worthy of the occasion and worthy of him, the fabulous father and husband that he is. Well, this year I am so very happy with my make and more importantly, so was Honey! I've been seeing the cactus meme ever since Valentine's Day and I knew that would appeal to my husband's love of puns. But I wasn't seeing any illustrations I liked that well. Most were too cartoonish. 
Then, when I saw this gorgeously-drawn Eureka digi stamp at Stamp On It, I wanted it right away but did not really know why, because I was looking for 2 cacti side by side. This is a very tall Saguaro cactus with a low-growing prickly pear cactus wrapped around it. Then, the more I looked at it, the more I saw US: tall slim Honey and short stocky me. Add some googly eyes, a mustache and some yellow blossoms -- I had us as a cactus couple and it was perfect! 

I framed it in black in PSE and added the bottom sentiment, leaving space at top to hand-stamp the Sweet n Sassy sentiment and add the hat. The mustache die is by Impression Obsession and cut with a black shimmery card stock scrap. The tiny prickly pair blossom dies are by Rubbernecker and colored with Promarkers, as is the rest of the focal image. I added the googly eyes and a tiny enamel dot heart from my stash. The dotty papers are by Creative Imaginations and Lawn Fawn. 

 
I chose SplitCoastStampers Sketch 609 for my card, resizing it in PSE to a Slimline size (4 x 9.25") to fit the envelope I had. Otherwise, I followed the sketch faithfully, adding only the Sizzix cowboy hat die cut as I couldn't resist.

For the inside, I composed a little poem full of cactus-appropriate words/phrases that I jotted down while perusing Pinterest.
The back has paper leftover from the front and a Lawn Fawn siggie hand-stamped on a Spellbinders Label die. 

And a final view. Thanks so much for coming by and Happy Week to everyone. Until next time, stay well and crafty! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
6.   QKR Stampede Challenge #421: AG -- #2/3  I've used Eureka's Saguaro digi
9.   Colour Crazy Craft Challenge Week 20: AAG with Colouring -- #1/2 Promarkers used on focal image

27 comments:

Carol said...

A very clever and beautifully made card. A winner.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

R's Rue said...

So darling.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Alyson Mayo said...

I just love that sentiment on the front of your card - it’s such a perfect way to unite cacti! This is simply adorable :)

Chana Malkah said...

Cute Cactus! The background on this card is perfect! A fabulous project, Aimeslee!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah

craftytrog said...

Your card made me smile! A happy anniversary to you both 💝
Alison xx

Jacq said...

Aimeslee this is so stinking cute! What a great imagination you have to create an anniversary card from a cactus image and that poem is just great! I'm not surprised Honey loved it, who wouldn't!!??
Jacqui
DT for The Outlawz

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Oh Aimes this card and your own prose on the inside is so sentimental and so nicely done. I laughed so hard at the part where you were describing which 🌵 was which. You always put a smile on my face.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Aimeslee, you are so clever, this is just awesome, I love everything about it. Hubby is going to LOVE it, the poem is perfect and so clever of you. Love the hat too.
Faith x

AndrejaM said...

I love your cactus with mustage

Inkyfingers said...

Oh, Aimeslee, this is such a fun and fabulous heartfelt card! Love the images and how you have interpreted them with the punny poem inside. The cowboy hat, moustache and googly eyes are perfect finishing touches and I can see why Honey loved it.
Hugs
Carol x

Beebeebabs said...

Very nice card thanks for sharing!!!

Stacey said...

What a fun card! Thanks for sharing at CHNPP.
DT Stacey www.butterflycreations.blog

Pat said...

Congratulations on your 34th anniversary Aimeslee and what a clever and fun idea with the tall male cactus and the sweet and pretty smaller one draped around it, with a great verse you made for the inside as well as that clever sentiment used on the front. I love the dotty papers and the 10 gallon hat, and also the coordinating dots around the image and which you coloured beautifully. x

Pamela said...

Great card,I love the sentiment and your poem is lovely.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT'

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

That is so clever and creative! Love it! Happy Anniversary to both of you.

-Soma

ahlers5 said...

This is such a great card. I absolutely love the images! Congratulations on your anniversary! We just hit 45 years in May...such a long time. It seems like it went by so fast. I couldn't ask for a better match for me, though. He was the boy next door. Who would have thought.

Seafield Jo said...

A fabulous card with a great sentiment.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jo
CD Sunday Plus DT

Jocelyn said...

This is a wonderful anniversary card. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday DT

Francesca said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the cactus! Thank you for playing at Scrapping4FunChallenges!

Debbie said...

Fabulous card! Such a fun design,

Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge at
Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again in our next challenge.
Debbie
TTCRD DT
My blog

Margarets designer cards said...

Happy anniversary, lovely card great sentiment
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Hannapanna said...

Such a fun card! Thanks for sharing with us over at Colour Crazy Challenge.

- Hanna, DT

Lisa Bird said...


Fantastic card and design. Such an adorable cactus. Thank you for joining us at I Love Promarkers Blog Challenge
Best Wishes Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Aunty Sue said...

such a cute card thanks for sharing at PFP love the play on words

Helen said...

Thanks for joining us at Penny's Challenge.

Helen x

Andreja said...

What a beautiful card you made :-))
Thanks for playing with us at The Male Room this time!

Goga said...

Fantastic an fun masculine card. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room challenge, Goga