Tuesday, January 29, 2019

In Lieu of Flowers - Sharing in Sorrow

I have a sympathy card to share today made for the wife of a neighbor we know who just passed. I used last week's Tuesday Morning Sketch whose challenge Linky expired before I could finish it, so I guess that means I'm using an "old" sketch. I hadn't played at Brown Sugar Challenge in a while so I added the tiny rhinestones and the butterflies to play. And I wanted to join the current Bugaboo Stamps color challenge. Below is the graphic. How did I do? 


 

Supplies Used:
DCWV Adhesive Textured Brights Mat Stack card stock
Echo Park Agenda card stock
Office Depot white rail board card stock
DCWV The Floral Stack patterned papers
Spellbinders Labels One die
Stamps: Bugaboo JACBLOCK1 digital flower stamp, Cornish Heritage Farms sentiments
Hero Arts white embossing powder
Promarkers alcohol markers
Floral Ribbon, washi tape and rhinestones from my Black Hole of Stash
Martha Stewart butterflies punch

When I play in a digital stamp company's challenge, I generally prefer to use one of their stamps when I can, even if they do not require it. I also don't always get to, like if the theme cannot be fit into what I'm already making. I had just watched the 2013 Indie movie In Lieu of Flowers (highly recommended but keep your tissues on hand) before starting this card, and so flowers became my card motif. I searched my computer Bugaboo digital stamps folder and found a floral square stamp to print out and color. I resized it in PSE in order to die cut a circle out of it. I then colored it, and also the butterflies that I punched out of white rail board, with my Promarkers.

The patterned papers are part of a paper stack pad that I probably bought at Joann's a long time ago. I do know I somehow wound up with two of these pads. That's a lotta floral! I noticed early on these two patterns complement each other in the pad. It feels like I have already used them on so many other cards and still haven't used it all. I think my paper procreates and multiplies when I'm not looking, lol.
 
The inside (left) and the back. My first print of the inside sentiments resulted in a fuzzy read. So I die cut another stamping surface and glued it on top of my fuzzy snafu for the save. And just for grins, I washi taped randomly around the inside borders. I kept the back pretty simple, heat-embossing the siggie stamp in white.


Challenges Joined:
1. Catch the Bug Challenge: January Color Challenge (colors graphic displayed above)
2. Brown Sugar Challenge #286: 3-2-1 Recipe (I have 3 rhinestones, 2 patterned papers and winged butterflies)
3. Papercraft Challenges #29: Bright Colours
4. TGIFC#196: Star of the Show - Product Spotlight on Patterned Papers
5. Creative Crafters #12: AG
6. I Love Promarkers #376: AG (opt. theme not taken)
7.  TTCRD Week of Jan. 29: AG
8.  Crafting from the Heart #235: AG
9. HLS - Mixed Media January: Layers
10. CHNPPC January: AG with Patterned papers
11. Passion for Promarkers Week 478: Inspired by the Big Screen (I was inspired by the movie In Lieu of Flowers, as I explained in my post, see above and movie link)
12. ABMTTC #84: AG Always

You may remember me writing about how making sympathy cards bums me out. I got some good advice from some of your comments, and I've decided that since death is part of life, then just find peace from making a pretty card that brings comfort, so I hope you find it such, too. Thanks as always for dropping by and have a great Tuesday! xoxo








2 comments:

Monika Reeck said...

lovely element and color combo on your card
this is beautifully made
many thanks for playing along with us this time at Papercraft Challenges
Hugs,
Monika (DT)

Cut, Fold and Glue said...

Very pretty card you have created. Thank you for joining The Creative Crafters Challenge #12, Anything Goes!