Thursday, October 1, 2009

School Recap and 5 Minutes of Fame!

Altered tin goodness - My first one:

I'm in my last week of Altered Tin class over at My Creative Classroom and masterfully taught by my dear friend Linda.


So far, I've decorated this tin, made dividers and decorated them for the inside (and then decided right before finishing to bind them with my Bind-It-All and make a little hanging calendar out of them instead, so they are not finished yet). And I have also started decorating 2 other tins for presents.

I purposefully kept this tin ribbon-free and without a front labeling for now, because I haven't quite decided if I'm gonna keep it or give it to Missy for Christmas. Also, the ancient (2005, seriously) Urban Lily paper I used pleasantly surprised me by how cool it ended up looking all by itself. I did put a thin paper strip around the lid lip, but so far I haven't wanted to mess up the clean lines and modern look of it by adding another thing.
xx
Linda is the best teacher. Very thorough and patient. This week we are making cards, and I've gotten my instructions and sketches printed out, along with my scraps and card bases. Now to make some cards!
xx
xx
In my other classes, my Kelly Kilmer class is done today. As I said before, though, I will continue to journal the rest of the September prompts I did not get to. I have already begun painting some pages.
xx
Suziblu's Les Petit Doll class is slowly moving along, but it needs to move slowly, because there is so much to think about because there are many decisions I must make about my final art piece. I do a lot of sketching of different faces and bodies, different poses, clothes, etc., in her style, which is such that it's not really hard (no detail to hands and feet, no ears, mainly just a circle for the head and very detailed large eyes and flowing hair). I have to constantly work on body part proportion, that's hard for me, and to think ahead so it will all fit on the paper, lol. Baby steps forward. I'll get there.
xx
In Kelly Rae class I re-read Chapter 1 - Unearthing Buried Dreams, what upset me so much yesterday. I now see that I went through basically what she did in my younger adulthood. I wanted to be a writer and succumbed to my parents' desires for me to have a sensible education that paid the rent, so I switched to accounting. Did that for 30 years until the sight of one more tax return or deadline was going to send me screaming and running. Then, I got sick and all those dreams I had became null and void. Only tiny ones now that I can do under the circumstances. I still get really angry realizing all of that. More later on that.
xx
In Serendipity News, I got the surprise of my life this afternoon. I checked my email and there was one from Marah Johnson! She loved my Heartbreaker ATC and wanted to link it on her blog. She had seen it on something called I love google alerts. Huh????? I've never heard of that. I'll have to learn about it. Linda, thanks for emailing me and maybe you can help me learn what the google alert thing is?
xx
So, anyway, it's featured HERE, along with an art journal page where I also used her rub-ons, and I'm still getting over the shock. What a thrill! Even though I do not submit for publication, it's still an amazing feeling to have a favorite famous artist whose art supplies I love to use tell me she loves something I made. Pretty sweet - I'm definitely savoring this flavor. :-)

4 comments:

Linda said...

It is well deserved my friend. Enjoy it!

Google alerts is where you sign up with Google to send you an email about certain topics and keywords you want to follow. I have an alert set up so Google will email me if someone mentions my blog. Here is the link to set them up: http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en&gl=us I hope that works. :)

I love that you made a desk calendar out of the dividers. I really need a bind it all, maybe Santa will bring me one. Thank you for the kind words about my class. I really appreciate it.

Benita said...

Wow, that is AWESOME! You go girl! Love that ATC! Congrats :)

Laura Kay said...

Congrats on getting your art noticed! Yeah for you!! You have been a busy, class takin' girl! Good for you.

Elizabeth Golden said...

I love your tin. It is stunning.