Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May calendar collage



I am constantly challenged by this monthly project. This is a total supply dump. A stash bash. And a lot of my stuff is downright cheesy by now because it's so old and it went unused.



Sometimes I miss the mark, but sometimes I can actually use the stuff in an updated way, and that's become a closet challenge that has kept me interested enough to keep on creating these calendar pages.



Of course, it helps to excuse myself from having to choose one style. On here, it is okay to mix magazine clippings or cutesy stickers with vintage items.



It's fine because one theme connects everything. I am really glad I began using the printed title strips of notable monthly dates. That's become the connecting theme.



Another connection is color and I'm also glad I have kept that going. Complimentary colors help visually connect elements.



I took a bit of a plain approach to the May calendar page itself. No coloring of the border this time. Instead, I made a layered collage strip using my new diamonds punch and a Fiskars border punch.



I totally love how it turned out. I used Scenic Route papers to compliment the Karen Foster calendar paper base. Taking the time to ink the edges with my chalk and dye inks helped create depth.

I'm thinking I might stick to just one style for 2010's calendar, though. I'm guessing I will be sick to death of stash-bashing long before December comes around. (And it will be here before we know it!).

Until next time,

No comments: