Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day

My best wishes for a kiss-worthy day! I'm popping in to share my Valentine I made my Honey. I finally finished it and yes, I got carried away, haha. Still glad I did it, though. What do you think?

I wanted Honey to know he is my knight in shining armor and Hero, hence the card theme. The Card itself is a half-sheet (8.5" x 5.5" when closed) and it has a really simple signature on the spine because there's an extra leaf inside. That's a Gecko Galz Love Me Do collage sheet image (others are from King Arthur and Long Ago) and Spellbinders die cuts underneath. I brushed clear Wink of Stella over all of the white space of the fussy-cut image. It really gives it a nice sheen. I gave the bottom mat and top strip a Tim tool distressing and an edging of Decoart Metallic Lustre and then some copper leafing pen. Phrase stamps by Artistic Outpost and QuicKutz, and all are heat-embossed in gold ep. 

Opening the card up, you see this. I went to town sponging Distress and Archival inks on the inside mats of the card base. Then I had fun seeing how many of my stamps UI could anchor the images with in the background. I am proud of my muted ink color choices and especially happy with these sponged mats. Turned out really dreamy-looking. Background stamps from Michelle Ward's Green Pepper Press. Images from Gecko Galz and internet search, and Artistic Outpost stamps. The first page of the inner folio leaf has Michelle's stamps forming a border in Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink. And here is where I get very lazy and not spend 45 minutes tracking down who made these stamps. The AO heart "as a seal upon your heart" stamp is heat-embossed and water-colored, as is the Templar Knight below the heart.

The card open to the middle. The bordering continues, as does the image sources and stamp sources.

Last page of leaf and inside mat of card back. I continue the gold bordering with same image and stamp sources. I added a cigar label that Honey had left for me the other night after his cigar walk. (He noticed it when he was reading the card.) You can really see the sponging I did on those mats. The stamp at top is an old See D's, the rest are Michelle's (two of which are gold-heat-embossed). I created the inside message in PSE.

I do realize the same image is on the back as the front. Can't really tell you why I did that, other than to show it was a Saturday Evening Post cover from 1926. And to use it up. That was probably the deciding factor, haha. I purposefully mimicked the front of the same sizes of card stock and die cuts. 

I used some fiber to bind the card, punching two holes and tying off, nothing fancy at all. Mostly because I ran out of time. But it was worth it to me to experiment with card form because I feel like I'm developing my own approach to making cards... for better or for worse, lol. I really do like decorating every surface, even if it is more work and just a card. I am hoping what I learn translates into altered books before too long. I have so many ideas for themes and designs. I remember from my book study class of Alisa Golden's Making Handmade Books that this card could also pass as a pamphlet book. There is really no difference save the number of pages! 

I am going to link up this card to the following challenges:







Thanks always for visiting and leaving a comment. I'll be back soon!












No comments: