Thursday, January 10, 2019

An Asian Diversion

Good Thursday morning to y'all. After a few days of  temperatures in the 70's, we have received another cold snap down here on the Texas Gulf Coast.  My winter allergies are in full bloom. Creating is a welcome diversion, and finding some Asian-themed embossed backgrounds I'd done a while back diverted me off of Christmas cards this week. I'm sharing the first card I finished using one of the backgrounds.

Maybe because the Chinese New Year is coming up and I was reading about the symbolism of the color red, the coins, the flowers...I just felt a strong urge to decorate Asian, which is weird because I love the look but don't often go there. 

Anyway, it all began when I found this embossed card stock panel along with 3 others, all from a Cuttlebug Asian embossing folder set. I thought the yellow was too dull, so I saturated it with my Clear Snap Smooch Spritz Gold Glow Shimmer Spray and heat-tool dried it then flattened it in my big botany book overnight.

Here are the other supplies I used:
7Gypsies Sushi Patterned Paper
Colorbok & DCWV Card Stocks
Asian flowers washi tape
Spellbinders Foral Motifs Doilie and Asian coin dies
Tonic and Marvy corner punches
SU Label punch
Cuttlebug Asian Japanese Scales EF
Round gold seals from my stash
Various little birthday sentiment stamps (for card front)
Memento ink
Sunday International Mt Fuji Landscape stamp (inside card)
Woodware sentiment stamp (inside card)

 
I used this retro sketch from this week's CTS303 Challenge. I used two floral patterned papers on the front and covered an element with some shiny washi tape from my stash that just happened to coordinate pretty well with the papers.

On the inside of the card, I used my Mt. Fuji landscape stamp because I love it.


I had a little fun paper-piecing an arrangement with my leftover paper scraps. I used two other Sushi patterns. When I do this, I like it to coordinate with the front as much as possible, so I used a white-ish grid pattern to tie in with the white-ish floral pattern of the washi tape on front.

Some close-ups:
The sentiments and the way I tried to line up the leaves in the washi tape to suggest an overall pattern. Just playing here but I do think I managed it somewhat. 
And the washi tape has shine - the flowers and leaves are gold-lined. The embossed scales shimmer and the gold seal peeks through the coin like a mirror. 
Here you can see how each corner is punched to get this cool pattern. I think it's a nice detail. 
I liked how this shot shows the washi shining and not shining. Cool, huh?


Challenges joined with this card:

That's it for me today. Thanks so much for dropping by. Have a fabulous Friday Eve! xoxo


No comments: