Sunday, September 10, 2017

T (for Technique) and Sympathy

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. I'm popping in to post a sympathy card I created for my neighbor whose husband died last week. We took her some food but it took me a while to get this made as I've been doing laundry for some family friends who are flooded out of their homes from Harvey. (Miraculously, we were blessed to be high and dry despite getting visited by him twice!)  I created the background of clouds using a technique called Bleach Blocking that I learned from Technique Junkies and am entering this card into their monthly technique challenge.

I began by stamping the Angel of Ascension stamp onto white cardstock using blue pigment ink and clear heat embossing powder. I then colored her with my various alcohol markers and fussy-cut her. I took another piece of cardstock and swiped it with various shades of blue distress inks and a little pink, spritzing with water just a bit to haze it overall.

Then it was time to get a Tim tool ink foam applicator to dip into bleach and stamp in a pattern on the distress ink, which reacts with the bleach where stamped and bleaches out the ink. I wanted the look of clouds so I took a Sharpie and drew a cloud and cut it out. It worked really well!
Here's a close-up of the background. Some of the bleach-stampings turned white immediately, some stubbornly refused, so I just gently re-stamped until each cloud looked good.

I added some gold touches to the angel's garment and silver to her wings using my Wink of Stellas. This close-up shows how much shimmer this added. I believe the sentiment stamp is by Skipping Stones and the frame is from Clear Dollar Stamps, but don't quote me as both are so old CDS is out of business.

 Inside of card: top poem stamp is Skipping Stones Designs and the bottom sentiments are by I Brake for Stamps.

And on the back, stamp by Sweet Stamp Shop using white pigment ink (Hero Arts rocks!) and white heat embossing powder. 

My town was hugely impacted by Harvey, so I am praying for Florida and the states to the north that will get Irma. Everyone affected by all the hurricanes. And elsewhere, wildfires and storms and quakes. Mother Nature is quite active right now and in this high tech world we forget just how small and defenseless we really are. What I have learned from my history reading hobby is, we have come so far and yet not really in the end. So everyone has my thoughts and prayers.

I really enjoyed being able to participate in this challenge. I've got a few ideas for creating for a few other challenges I keep up with, so hopefully I will finish something else! Thanks again for the visit and hope to see you again soon. 



No comments: