Monday, June 13, 2016

Ruminating with Rumi...

So, I finally finished that art journal spread, which is what I'm sharing today.

Looks a bit different than before, doesn't it? After I found the three line quotes I put on the right hand page, I realized that the first quote I'd handwritten on the left hand page did not really go well. So, I found a better quote, by Rumi: "Raise your words, not your voice. It is the rain that grows flowers, not thunder." (The 3 quotes on the right are "What the heart thinks, the tongue speaks." "Words must be weighed, not counted." and "Examine what is said, not him who speaks.")

And since my #1 objective at all times is to use up the crap I've got, I changed to alpha stickers and rub-ons to record the quote over handwriting. Not as pleasing to the eye or as artistic, but it uses up scrap crap. I glued the quote on a piece of deli paper that I glued onto the black page. 

Oh, and in the scan and all photos I took, the quote blends into the background way too much; yet in real life in person, you can see the quote clearly. It stands out and can easily be read. Photos are such weird things sometimes. They suck at capturing metallic and shiny things and depth-stuff, yet I rely very much on them to capture in-process flaws of composition and color.

I'm in one of those moods that has been with me for a while. Really not enjoying making cards anymore if there is a deadline involved. And I can't get ahead of the deadlines. And there is no paycheck in the mail for me so why am I working so hard?  I feel trapped by my own family reputation lately. (Like, if I don't send a handmade card or a card at all, what's wrong???)

We had and are still having a very wet June which means huge hand joint pain and stiffness. I really should start working on an announcement to family and friends, but one in between no more cards and cards as usual. More like, if you get any more cards from me, it's bonus time and nothing more. Yeah, still trying to figure out how to word that, haha.

And what if this is only temporary? I've thought maybe in that case I could just make cards to send to hospitalized kids. I like the idea and whatever I get made counts, and what doesn't get made is no problem. Such are the hard questions in life to answer, sigh...shaking my head...eyeroll. LOL Can you feel my trapped feeling? Seems like I'm wearing it like clothing!

Well, here's to good week for us all, and may art be a part of it. Thanks for dropping by and comments are greatly enjoyed. xoxo

No comments: