Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pages in Stages: Tools

I am still trying to group all phases of each of my art journal backgrounds into folders on my computer, so that I can show you the evolution of each page. So, I don't have that ready but I can share a few of my latest supply finds and renewed crushes that I have been working with lately.

If you need to glue 2 pages together in a composition book (or do that to an entire book), let me recommend this stuff:
If you have ever wanted to put your glue stick glue on a palette knife in order to slather it on, then you'll be happy with Yes! glue. And, trust me when I tell you this, it really does wrinkle less than gel medium.


After about a year of seeing these art prop cones and making eye rolls because I could soooo use some old free recycled thang instead but I never did, I finally relented and ordered some.
So glad I did. They are a real help when glueing pages or gesso'ing. I put my journal on my stove rangetop burner covers and turn on the venthood and the light. Somehow, the combo of heat and windsuck dries my pages more quickly, I promise! And propping up the pages is a big part of that solution.


My trusty gallon pail of gesso needs a smaller off-load container and old pimento cheese containers work perfectly.
Also, the oldest wornest brushes do not hurt either. (Note: I have since trashed the big wooden chip brush. I know that a lot of folks use those for gesso, but I don't like it for paper. Maybe if I was gessoing wood... At any rate, the smallest brush in the center above is the one I've ended up using all the time. I think it's a No. 8 flat.)


I'd been subconsciously staying away from the gesso when I learned that cleaning brushes out in the kitchen sink would clog up the pipes. But I finally learned how to do it without the sink.
This pink soap stuff is awesome. Work just a little of some into the brush BEFORE using. This will coat the hairs and make it easier to clean later. Paint as usual. Then off-load as much gesso from the brush as possible when ready to quit for the day, and work in some more pink soap. Keep a small container (old glass jam jar works perfectly) of water just for the gesso brush. Then, you can rub or work the pink soap out (and rub the brush ferrel against the glass bottom), rub with fingers, repeat the rinse, then when it looks and feels clean (won't dry stiff), let it air dry. Take the gesso water out the back door and give the lawn a chalk drink. Rub out glass with a paper towel and it is ready for the next gesso session, and no faucet or sink involved!

I've been told that shampoo will work also, so I might try that once I run out of the pink soap.

2 comments:

teri said...

Just have to say that I LOVE this post. I have never seen those paper propper uppers before - where can i find them? And I've never used YES either, though now and again I hear people talking about it. I'm going to try it for sure. Thanks!

Purrplekatt said...

I had no Ida how that pinks soap worked! I'm also pretty interested in those triangular page props I've never seen those before and look super handy. Thanks for posting! I'm so glad you are getting back into your art journals again. :)