Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy King Tut Day!


November 4th is King Tut Day. Why? His tomb was discovered on this day in 1922.

Somewhere I'm imagining Steve Martin dancing in commemoration. If you are one of his twitter followers, tell him to get those happy feet going.

Well, if would be really cool if I had some Egyptian themed art to share, but, alas, I do not. I do, however, have some other themed art to share today.

The card above was made as a note card / atc holder, using Splitcoast Stampers sketch #356 and my ever-present paper scraps and old supplies. The patterned paper is Basic Grey, the blue card stock is Bazzill, the brown is unknown. The square alpha stickers are Melissa Francis, the round ones are Joanns, I think.

The card above was another one made with my scraps and old supplies, this time using Splitcoast Stampers sketch #357. The patterned paper was a RAK gift, the striped paper is Urban Lily, those photo corners are Chatterbox, flower center chipboard is K&Co, the paper flowers were in a RAK.


The atc above was made for an Altered Designs weekly mingle. The mermaid is a Posh stamp by Dee Gruenig. I heat embossed the mermaid with PolySparkle powder (which is not fine and a bit clumpy, which is why you see glittery bits of it) and colored with Copics, then drew the background freehand. I had to include that Tennyson quote because it seemed to fit so well.



And finally, the note card /atc holder above that I just finished was made using Mojo Monday sketch 213. I received a gorgeous piece of embossed and distressed paper in a RAK a while back that looks like leather or cowhide. I used my Coluzzle to cut a circle of it, which you see as the base layer on top of the Bazzill shimmer blue card stock. I had the striped twine leftover from my Circus card along with all of the card stocks I stamped on. The focal image of the cowboy and lady is a 1StampDreamer stamp, and the sentiment is a The Paper Studio stamp. I used my oval Coluzzle to cut the sentiment.  I used my finger sponge tool to add some Tim Holtz Aged Mohogany ink to most of the edges.

I had originally cut the focal image card stock too short by mistake. So, I punted. I cut 2 more thin strips from what I cut off and added them to the top and bottom of the short piece. It gives a neat textural mosaic effect, and allowed me to stamp the image in its entirety instead of cutting off the boots or the hat (neither of which are trivial to a cowboy dressed up to go to the rodeo, right???).

1 comment:

teri said...

We saw the King Tut exhibit recently here in NY and thought it was fascinating. Not nearly as funny as Steve Martin's rendition, but interesting nevertheless!