Saturday, June 18, 2011

Re-visiting Easter

Here we are, mid-June on the eve of Father's Day, and I still need to share the cards I made for Easter. I'll be the first to say that my adherence to a blogging schedule has been dismal, but like most things in my life, I must defer to the limitations of my health and do the *catch-up*. This week's constant problems with a dropped internet connection did not help, either. I seriously tried a handful of times to post during the week, but I'm grateful for the opportunity tonite.
I managed to make only 2 Easter cards this year. This first one I gave to my Dad. And I did not create the card front. My friend Katy B. from Austin created the front and sent the card to me unsigned and blank inside. She always does such a fabulous job with glitter. Her lines are so delicate and pretty.
I added on to the back and the insides before mailing early enough for him to receive it early. Dad took his youngest grandson on an egg hunt the morning of Easter eve, so they had fun sharing the card. 
Above is a scan of the inside. I used an Easter stamp set by Our Craft Lounge and various markers. I cannot look too closely, as I see now that I didn't stay in all the lines when I colored, oops. Lucky for me, I don't think my nephew noticed. :-)))

I made another card for my mother-in-law, and this one had to be really nice and religious. She had just returned from a trip to Israel, so bunnies and eggs wouldn't do. Uh-oh. Try as I might, I could not come up with an original thought on my own, so I turned to the card gallery at Splitcoast Stampers.
I happened to see a card created by Holly MacMillen. The photo above shows her card on the computer screen and my card alongside. Didn't she do a lovely job? Holly made a monochromatic white cross card using Spellbinder diecuts, and I noticed that I had every one of the dies she used! So, I attempted a blatant CASE (Credit and Steal Everything) of her card.
It was next-to-impossible to get an indoor flashless shot that correctly reflected the white hues of this card. So, where it looks like a yellowish edge, in reality there was none. It was all white, except for the gold glitter button tops and the gold embossing powder.
For the inside sentiment, I used a stamp from the late Cornish Heritage Farms. I used a Spellbinders oval Nestabilities to shape it and edged it with a gold marker. All the sentiments were stamped with gold metallic pigment ink and clear heat embossed.
The background used a Cuttlebug embossing folder (the holiday ribbon one) layer, then a couple of Spellbinder Nestabilities oval layers with the top one run through the polkadots folder, all parts of the cross die layered up, and a button dot to finish. The sentiment -- from Clear Dollar -- was cut out with a Spellbinders label die...and 2 more gold dots. The gold was the perfect color and texture touch.
I don't know if I did Holly's card justice, but my mother-in-law oooed and aahed bigtime. I thank Holly very much for the awesome design to copy.