Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Love conquers all...

What a very weird day I had today. It was like moving through a fog clumsily. The agenda was supposed to be open-ended, enabling me to hopefully get some creating and organizing done. What ensued, however, was more like a samplers platter: I ate, but just a little of everything and not enough of anything.

I did find a minute to unsubscribe from several email lists who send me ads for scrapbook supplies. I pretty much know all of the companies' names by heart now in case I ever need to get to their sites on my own, so what am I gonna miss, a coupon or sale? Hehehe - exactly. Score one for my moratorium, zip for old habits.

Got an email from a lovely reader asking me why in the world I insist on using up old embellies instead of just throwing them out or raking them? I'll try to answer here, although the answer is probably not that enlightening. Well, for one thing, I hesitate to rak them since the recipient might think of them like the emailer perhaps does. And, I have to admit, I kinda like the challenge of trying to make the old fit in with the new and trendy. My viewpoint on this is colored by the fact that about a year ago, I had an epiphany of sorts, in that I suddenly realized that nobody in my family is ever going to know if the supplies I used on their card is Basic Grey or basic recycled stash from 2005, and I bet they do not care, either. Ever since then, I've felt a lot more comfortable using old stuff. And frankly, I would feel pretty hipocritical being a believer in reduce, reuse and recycle...and then not doing that with my supplies.

I'm also a rebel and noncomformist at heart. That's probably a big factor as well... winkwink.

The anniversary card above is what I have to share today. It is #10 business size, which is 4" x 9 3/8". The inspiration for the size and color scheme is that blue-lined envelope from my stash that I wanted to use.
So, I pulled together some red, some blue, all with a grungy feel. Sort of a Page Kit Possibles, if you will. I ended up not using all of what you see above, as I decided on the Love Conquers All from the CI Marah Johnson 12x12 paper as my focal point and sentiment. The blue stripes and dots are papers by Stamping Station that I picked up at my local LSS a few months ago. Here is what I came up with:

 
I cut down the sentiment to make it into a banner. Then, I diecut some Cuttlebug wings and Coluzzle-cut a grunge circle with the dots. Then I added an orphan chipboard heart from K&Co (I think) left out from Valentine-making. A little black grossgrain ribbon separates the two base paper patterns and anchors the black lettering and stripes.
The card's back got the almost-full treatment of the 12x12 paper pattern, with just a little dot border strip on bottom and some text paper from 7Gypsies across the top. I got to use my  Stampin' Up punch again for the signature stamp (Impression Obsession).

I have yet to pretty-up the inside yet, mainly because I am thinking that this card may be the one I give the Hubster in May for our 24th anniversary, and I want to wait until right before then. The color combo and grunge style make this one that a man would like as well as a woman, and I like how it turned out and think he will as well. Although I started out trying to find a sketch to follow, I never found one I liked and so the layout was 100% my own.

Have you seen Pantone's Spring 2011 color chart?
Honeysuckle, the first color in the grid, is supposedly *the* color. On this chart it looks to be more of a lavendar-pink. But I've been to other blogs that talk about this hot color without showing the chart, and I've seen some who show more of a reddish-pink raspberry (as in, is it pink or is it red?). So, I hesitate to know just what it all means. I have read more than one place that the *in* colors for the 2011 year are like very bright pastels, so maybe it is all of the above, winkwink.

The other thing that I've gleaned is that fashion will be re-visiting the 1990's. However, very small country-inspired prints (like flowers, paisleys, etc.) are also gonna be big. That reminds me of Laura Ashley. Even though she first became popular in the 70's and lasted thruout the 80's, I guess she bled into the 90's, too?

You be the judge. Here's a vintage Laura Ashley mini-dress from back in the day:

And, here is a Laura Ashley paint color chart, which looks eerily like the Pantone chart, doesn't it?

I just end up being confused mostly, so I guess one good thing about not using the trendy supplies is that I don't really need to know for sure what colors are hot. It's fun to try and keep up with the trends, though.