Thursday, July 1, 2010

Still More Cards!

I guess I'll just give up on the other arts and craft forms I am interested in. Okay, just kidding, but it seems that I have been sucked into the Giant Vortex Blackhole of Cardmaking lately, even more than usual. Good thing that I enjoy it!

I made this card for Hubster's sister and hubby's anniversary:
Anniversary greeting card
I used a Stampers Corner sketch and a Technique Junkies newsletter technique to color the image called Marker Water Coloring. Also used are Crafty Secrets image and sentiment stamps, SU cardstock and Basic Grey patterned papers and Zig and Copics markers.

Next, how to use up ancient patterned paper, circa 2007 or so, maybe even older. I bought some really cool (at the time) Scrapworks (company now defunct) paper sets with matching chipboard embellies. Then, as many of us idiots do, I let it sit in my hope chest unused. What....did I think it would become more valuable? HA! Story of my life.

Anyway, I've been trying to use all of this older paper, striking while the iron is somewhat hot since it seems like many of the patterns have come back into style. The Scrapworks papers are dots, lines and argyle patterns, with one of the patterns being a hopelessly huge bullseye striping. Thankfully, these are double-sided papers with the texture of old-school Chatterbox (remember those? The Rooms -- Den, Nook, etc. Yup, I've got those hoarded in the hope chest, too, SIGH). So, the bullseye papers can be used for the solid color on their flipsides.

Here are two cards I made last week using some of my old Scrapworks papers:
Birthday card for teen nephew
This was made for one of my nephews. You can see the matching chipboard embellies, hopefully. The embellie is actually a frame and two photo corners, and was on the packaging that same way. I used some matching paper to adhere the sticker alphas on, so the small purple square in the center of the Happy word is actually an outlining on the embellie. Cool, huh?

I found some Basic Grey cardstock sticker alphas in a decent complementary color for the word Happy and the suffix -th. I used some American Crafts stickers for the number 16, and I used a little sticker trick: I adhered the number stickers to the same dark paper I used for the background (one of the flipside solid colors), then I cut out the numbers, leaving a little bit of a margin outline, then I glued the numbers onto the card. Just makes the stickers look a little more un-sticker-like, ya know? The card design was also a Stampers Corners sketch.

My other Scrapworks paper card is one I made for a friend's birthday:
Make a Wish birthday card
Unfortunately, I cannot remember who makes the cupcake stamp, sentiment or the streamers. They are clear stamps and I have had them for a long time, that's all I know. I probably ordered them from Joann.com, so they might even be no-name brand. If you know the brand, I'd love to know.

Anyway, I once again used the solid dark blue as the card background (love it!). Again, as well, I used a Stampers Corner sketch for the design. I also added a Doodlebug paper frills border to the horizontal strip behind the focal image, as per the sketch.

The image is colored with Zigs, Copics, and gelpens. I used the Marker Watercoloring technique on the cupcake icing. I also tried a little trick on the sentiment: after stamping it with black ink, I colored the main word WISH! with glitter gelpens. Makes it really stand out, don't you think?
Post a Comment