Sunday, January 10, 2010

Still gettin' "Carded"


(card created by me, using Ancient Lil Davis Designs patterned paper (designed by Jenni Bowlin -- that's how old it is...plus, Lil Davis is no longer in biz); stamps by Stamp Camp, Tim Coffey for K&Co,  Technique Tuesday, Heidi Swapp and October Afternoon)

My Pick 3 Challenge card this week is also my very first COTM (Card of the Month) in my Stampers Corner group. It was really a match made in Heaven. First of all, the theme for our January COTM is "Fun & Games". Okay. Now, the Pick 3 is all about Themes and how to keep it going on your card. I was supposed to pick 3 of these:

-Image of theme
-Sentiment that uses the theme
-Charm that is part of your theme
-Ribbon that follow the theme
-Cardstock color that compliments your theme
-Border that has theme
-Punch that will fit your theme
-Patterned paper that goes along with your theme

1. My stamped and cut out images (Bingo card, Ouija board, dice) qualify.
2. My little spinner charm qualifies.
3. My patterned paper qualifies, too.

So, those are three I picked. :-)

When I posted my card to the COTM group folder, I told a little story about the childhood memories this card brought back to me. My folks were in a neighborhood bridge club and so when they met at our house, all of the card tables and folding chairs came out of nowhere. I was assigned to put an ashtray and cork drink coasters at every table. My parents set up card tables and chairs for all of us kids and we babysat ourselves and played our own table games. The various mothers would take turns delivering snacks to us. It was fun and we felt so grown-up.

I tried out double heat embossing on the pieces that look mottled. I embossed the edge in black, then stamped the entire surface with embossing pad, covered it in powder and melted it. I do not know why the mottling formed, but to me it looked like the cork in our coasters that had had many wet drink glasses sitting on them. So, I liked it. It adds to the aged and vintage look.

3 comments:

artbeckons said...

Love it =) And I have some pretty "old" paper, too! I used to hoard it and never use it because it was too pretty/special/etc. I think I'm finally starting to get over that now after all these years...

Denise Clark said...

Aimeslee, love your fun theme! You really went all out on sticking with it! Love the paper and all the different games! Wonderful card!

Thanks for playing along with the PICK 3 Challenge!

Sandie R said...

This card is so inspired. Love the little storey that goes with it. You aren't the only one with the "old" paper I think I have some that I got when I first started stamping about 15 years ago.
Love your blog background and header as well.