Sunday, August 2, 2009

Some finished journal pages



I am doing a genealogy theme for my workshop journal. I've been super busy and involved in it because finishing just one page takes me forever -- almost a week of constant work. Most of my contemporaries seem to finish a page an evening. It's quite frustrating for me, but what can I do?



At any rate, I have to combine one of the Layouts listed in Gwen Diehn's book The Decorated Page, with one of her journaling applications, for each page spread. There are 9 Layouts and 10 Applications. Our assignment has been to do one of each combo, which means 9 unique combinations and one repeat of a Layout.



The top journal page shown, Past Obsession, combines Borders with Reflecting. The next one, Surnames, combines Organic Shapes with Lists & Collections.



This next one, called Forefather Lines, has 1 main photo and 2 close-ups to show the vellum cover sheet strips adhere to it and the packing tape image transfers on one side. It is a page with a Grid layout and an Info Gathering journaling application.



This last one, called Brick Walls, is my favorite one so far. I've combined a Diagonals layout with a Decision-making application. I stamped on tissue paper and collaged with it for the first time. It's the bricks. I shall use tissue paper again. It was fun. And, I love how the watercoloring turned out. I scribbled on a few colors and rubbed in with a baby wipe.



Well, now it is August, so time for another new blog background. I'm thinking of changing it every month, just for grins, just to wake myself up. ;-)

Until next time,

11 comments:

Laura Kay said...

My favorite of these is the fly on the wall spread. What a great theme. You are very organized! Do all of your journals have themes?

Diane O. said...

Nice job with the journal pages. I've created books then don't do anything with them. You picked a great subject to display your art.

Linda said...

How very cool that your grandmother handed you all the information on your family. I've recently been trying to get similar information on mine from my mother. Alas I think I waited too long and she doesn't remember most of it any more.

I really enjoyed you pages. Don't worry about how long it takes, just enjoy the process. If you sweat about it too much you may give up and your family will miss out. I think it's great that you'll have something to hand down to them. Even if you're not sure they care now, some day they will and they will have your lovely pages to look at.

Tita Mama said...

Genealogy is an exciting subject. I could spend hours on ancestry.com. I especially like the way you showcased family surnames on trees. Great journal pages, as always. Peggy.

Suzanne said...

I really like the idea of using a visual journal to work through the past - handed down stories, facts and obsessions. Your pages are so tactile - I want to pick them up and examine in them in closer detail.

Anonymous said...

Those journal pages are really creative! I love the diagonal one and how cool that you can document such a detailed family tree!

Jill said...

All of these are so great! I am doing more journaling lately... once I let myself "go" I enjoy it. Yours are inspiring.... thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love these! Everytime I think I've settled on a favorite, something on another calls to me! I can really see your "style" starting t evolve...can you? Don't worry about being slow. Journal for you, not for anyone else. It's not a race...too much of life is "hurry, hurry." Just sit back, journal, savor, and enjoy.

Lida said...

Love all the stuff you make, the journal pages are so full of color and so much of your personality I love them, I have something for you on my blog!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

What a great idea for a journal, yours looks awesome! I truly am impressed and inspired!

Nicolette said...

These are absolutely fantastic! It is really hard for me to pick a favourite layout... I also have a love of looking back at my family history, and I think the way that you have interpreted this theme is amazing!